Parking and looters

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by 10incher, Jun 26, 2013.

1. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    I've been reading a lot about trouble with tweakers looting parked cars. So I had a thought. My plan is to empty my van completely, leave it unlocked and disable the ignition system. Then leave a six pack of beer on the driver side floorboard with a note that reads "This car is empty. If I return and it is undamaged, I will bring beer again next time."

Buy a good beer too. One you'll drink if no one takes it ;)
    NWstonefly and Lugan like this.
  2. Golden Trout Active Member

North Central Washington
    Ratings: +40 / 0
    Elderly man has trouble with group of youths trashing his yard on a daily basis. He gives each a dollar bill and says "Thanks for trashing my yard". The youth return the next day when the man gives them 75 cents, each. The youth seem undaunted and return the next day for 50 cents. On the next return they are presented 25 cents each when they proclaim, "This is BS never to return, again.

You may have to purchase beer for some time.
    Bill Aubrey, 10incher and Lugan like this.
  3. Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,264 / 1
    If you have to leave your rig unlocked and offer beer every time you go fishing, you are just giving in to the fuck'n losers.
    That is a waste of good beer as well.
  4. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +896 / 0
    the note I leave on the windshield of my rig:
    "Hey tweakers... That "tingly" feeling on the back of your neck?? Yeah, that's the crosshairs on my .243, and my finger's beginning to tighten on the trigger.... Think about it, assholes."

And a few of you are aware of the two "vatos" I did encounter upon returning from a little coyote hunting, all ghillied up and packing said rifle. They had a bad day.

I don't fault the leo's here, but our "catch&release" justice system. What do I mean by that? Well, just think of the scum who beat the tuba man to death in Seattle a few years ago.
  5. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,704 / 0
    Ah.... the ol' bait van trick.
    triploidjunkie and Bill Aubrey like this.
  6. 10incher Active Member

Coupeville, Washington
    Ratings: +92 / 0
    I just figure a sixer is cheaper than a window and the loss is less unpleasant than cleaning a turd of my seat. Giving in? Nope. I don't expect the tweakers will take over anything. So I'm not worried about empowering them. And some of them are squirly enough to see a threat as a challenge. Tempting fate. If you go grab a$$ing in a hornets nest you're going to get stung. I just want to go fishing and not worry about it. The thrill of added drama sort of defeats other fishing ideologies. I'm sure that most of the time I'll get to drink the beer anyway. I fish. So I need to facilitate that. If I swam with sharks I'd wear a shark suit. Because entering the water without one and challenging the sharks may not work. It's just a matter of making the benefits outweigh the consequences. I don't LOSE to anyone. I fish, and go home with a van I can drive to work in the following day. I WIN.
    NWstonefly likes this.
  7. Billy McFly Active Member

Edmonds WA
    Ratings: +63 / 0

What if they dont stop to see if the doors unlocked - They are tweakers. You might end up with a smashed window and out a 6-pack of beer. :mad:
    triploidjunkie and wadin' boot like this.
  8. speyfisher Active Member

State of Jefferson U.S.A.
    Ratings: +139 / 3
    We had a similar problem at one of the popular launches several years ago. Oregon law requires guides to display a sticker on their vehicle, an obvious declaration of something valuable inside. During this same time period, there was a homeless dude with a ratty old pickup & travel trailer who was making his rounds around town, overnighting in parking lots, continually getting run out etc.etc. Said launch not only prohibits overnight camping, but requires a day use fee. Someone struck a deal with the park dept to allow this guy & his dog to keep an eye on the place. Win win, problem ceased to exist at that location.
  9. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    When parking in sketchy areas, I remove all the contents from my glove compartment, along with anything else of value, and lock them in the trunk. Nothing is left in the front or back sets. Before departing, I leave my glove compartment open and lock my doors. So far, I have only had one close call, in which 2 vehicles parked near my own were broken into. Fortunately, my car was left untouched. (knock on wood)
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  10. shadowcast Member

Ratings: +19 / 0
    That's what I'm talking about :p . Somehow I don't think a methhead is going to reciprocate a kindness--you're car is history anyway. Would you do the same with your house?
  11. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    And subsequently killed someone else because of the hand slap.
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  12. Bill Aubrey Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Alex nailed the problem. Catch and release is for fishing, NOT the justice system. Tweakers and all druggies should be put away long enough to do the trick. Burglary is a felony and should carry a minimum of 5 years hard labor with no early release. Prosecutors and judges who do not want to rid our streets and launches of the criminals should be thrown out. Period.
    orangeradish likes this.
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,227 / 0
    Reminds me of the story about a guy who parks his car down in Pioneer Square on Mariner's game day with all the windows rolled down. The 2 game tickets he couldn't even give away were prominently left on the dashboard in hopes somebody would steal them. When he comes back a few hours later, there's 4 tickets on the dash.

K
  14. speyfisher Active Member

Problem we are currently facing is over crowded jails coupled with diminishing funds. So they turn loose on society what they consider the less risky prisoners. BULLSHIT! My answer to that, clear out death row. Fire up old sparky! Bring back public hangings! Case in point: why are we still feeding Charles Manson? These creeps got the death penalty. Carry it out. Impeach all these chickenshit liberals who refuse to enforce the law!
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  15. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    Tweakers aren't worth putting in prison at hard labor for 5 years. It costs more than $40,000 per year to incarcerate a felon. A better sentence is to just junk them in the nearest body of water for 10 minutes, and justice is served. While our catch and release justice system is problematic, tweakers prowl cars because the odds of apprehension are low. It's pretty uncommon to catch one.
    triploidjunkie likes this.
  16. JesseC Active Member

seattle, wa
    Ratings: +773 / 0

I think that's a good plan, but I would fill the back of the van up halfway with mannequins stacked like cords of wood. On the drivers seat i'd leave a roll of duct tape, a handsaw with beef blood on it, and a pair of underwear with a snickers bar melted into it on the dash.

That'll get em.
  17. speyfisher Active Member

Back in the day, common practice was to wire your vehicle to the coil with a secret on/off switch. You toucha my car, you gonna get the shit shocked outta you. :D
    Bill Aubrey likes this.
  18. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,725 / 0
    I can remember that not to long ago, you could park your car in the hills and go fishing and not have to worry about anybody breaking into it. I don't see that problem where I fish at. Where I fish at I seldom ever see anybody else around. Boy, do ever like that.

I had a flat tire out on these back roads of Montana a few years ago. With my bad knees and bad back I managed to get my flat tire off and the good one on. It took me about an hour to get it all done. In that time it took me I never seen another person drive by. And this was a well traveled road. Gotta love these wide open spaces.
  19. Bill McAllister New Member

Centralia, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I haven't had a problem since placing a empty opened box of "Critical Defense" on the dashboard. Maybe just lucky or ???
  20. Darryl Pahl Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    I was driving down 169 this week hitting the Cedar river. I was going to make my usual (likely illegal) U-turn to park in one of pull-outs when I saw a dark blue Caprice Classic, with a spotlight, crash bumpers on the front, antennae cluster. You know the look - your typical unmarked State Patrol police car. The real standout was that it was parked at a completely crazy-ass angle to the rest of the cars in the pullout. As if it were ready to catch speeders coming over the hill.

Well, that caught my eye - I continued on and made a legal U-turn at the next light. Driving back well under the speed limit I parked (being really careful to make sure I was legally parked) and took a closer look at the now obvious and empty beater of a surplus police car.

So maybe an old police cruiser should be your next fishing vehicle. And be sure to park it at some crazy angle. Any tweaker driving by will just keep on driving.
    dryflylarry likes this.