Pass Lake 12/30/13

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Steve Unwin, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Steve Unwin

Steve Unwin Active Member

Media:
    Had the morning off so I decided to head out to Pass Lake. I got on the water about 8.30am, both air and water around 40°. I had my 6wt rigged up with an intermediate line and a Black Bunny Leech, got in at the turnout on the south side of the lake, and started kicking across in my float tube. Had the place to my self.

Much to my surprise I got into my first fish after 5 minutes, while alternating trolling, stripping, and pausing. Landed a nice 16" rainbow after a brief fight. Fifteen minutes later I got another one on but he was much feistier, and ended up throwing the hook right in front of the boat.

The next hour (9-10) was fairly slow with only a few bites and one LDR. Stuck with the black leech for a while before a half hearted attempt with a micro-leech and chironomid under an indicator. Switched back to the leech and got into a BIG...log. Lost that and switched to a white micro-leech, and got a few hits as well as my last fish of the day around 10:15. Spent another 45 minutes looking for more, before my time was up and my feet were seriously numb. Off the water by 11.

On the way home I managed to get clocked at 74 in a 60 by a state patrol airplane. I didn't realize the limit had dropped, but he only did me for 70 in a 60, and only gave me a warning for the expired tabs. I'll take what I can get. Watch the skies!

All in all a good morning for me. Last time at Pass I only landed 3 fish in 8 hours so I felt pretty good today. Lots of surface activity, didn't see many midges coming off but lots of spent shucks on the water. Saw bald eagles, herons, and Growlers (EA-18G). Very glad to get out today.

Rob Hardman, Jeff Dodd and Irafly like this.
  2. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    Glad you had a good morning on the lake Steve. Your catch rate going up is always a good thing! Thanks for posting a report.

Your feet were seriously numb in 2.5 hours? How were your feet dressed for the cold?

Many times over compression of the layers surrounding your feet is the problem. An oversized boot or bootie to accommodate the extra layers for colder water is sometimes the answer. That, and maybe a pair of toe warmers thrown in.;)

Sometimes just adding extra layers in your regular sized boots/booties will actually make things worse when all the air gets compressed out. One thick pair of socks might be better than two if you don't have the room.

You probably know all this, but perhaps someone will benefit from this reply.

Steve Unwin likes this.
  3. Steve Unwin

Media:
    Yeah, they were pretty frigid by then. It's possible my boots were tighter than they need to be but I have tried a variety of configurations and still get cold feet. My wader booties aren't very thick (2-3mm neoprene) which may keep things cooler, other than that I'm not sure. Today I had some nice new Wigwam wool socks with a smartwool liner on one foot and no liner on the other, to see if the liner helped. It did, but not very much. A definite downside to a float tube is the inability to prop my feet out of the water.

I could have stood it a little bit longer but I had to get off the water by 11 to get home in any case.

4. flycasterwa

flycasterwa Chris Delsing

Media:
    Good to hear you got into a few. I was there right at noon and only saw one boat take a fish. I had one big grab, but missed, sigh. Only lasted 2.5 myself as it was cold, and I was in my kick boat instead of my toon. I had an intermediate on today, fished leaches, no indicator, everything BUT black, and a few buggers. The grab was on a white bunny leach. Next time! I seriously need a pram or a drift boat. Watching a few guys venture out late in a boat had me a bit jealous.

Steve Unwin likes this.
  5. Duane J

Duane J Member

Steve: Thanks for the entertaining and motivational post. And Gregg's comments and reminders really
    voids most of my excuses for not joining in on the hunt on Pass.
    One of the quircks accompanying old age is your feet get bigger. I have to break down and order a size larger boot to avoid the "too tight" syndrome Gregg speaks too.

Steve Unwin likes this.
  6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    There is also the whole boat thing! I've found that in most cases you can buy a cheap row boat or other type boat for less than a pontoon boat.

7. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    That's a great lead for those with a pickup, tow vehicle w/trailer, or a dock on a lake. For many others, a larger pair of boots or booties is more cost effective. That said, I must admit that I do become rather envious this time of year.:p

8. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

had the same problem in late november. lasted about 3 hours in the tube.
    problem is i have simms waders and they are tight around the ankle and foot area. so the most i can do is 1 layer of thin sock with a second layer of thick wool. but still you get frozen feet after a few hours. need to get a trailer for the row boat.

9. Steve Unwin

Media:
    I really enjoy my float tube except the cold water is a little limiting. But I suspect a boat will be on my future. Can't take little kids on a float tube.