Pass Lake 9/16/06

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by PeteM, Sep 18, 2006.

1. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I fished Pass Lake twice on Saturday. My son and I hit it early arriving at 8:30am to what looked like rain threatening skies. We launched out and fished the South shoreline, over to the point, and then back along the North shoreline. My son's ankle was bothering him so we didn't stay out as long as we had hoped. It never did rain.

There were a few occasional risers and we didn't spot any fish working the shallows. We weren't getting much of anything until my son asked to see my streamer box. He picked out a white woolly bugger. He then began to get regular hits by the 8-10" trout. I continued with an assortment of streamers, bait fish patterns, with little luck. We finished the morning about 10:30 landing a handful of smaller fish.

We then hit the go-carts with the rest of the family and some cousins. It was a blast.

I then stopped by the lake that evening to try some night fishing as the rest of the family went home. I got on the lake about 7:30 and fished until 10:30. Unlike last weekend where I saw a lot of rainbows working the shallows about an hour before dark, there wasn't the same feeding frenzy going on that night. I worked minnows patterns along the shorelines and picked up one fat 18" rainbow. The hits were few and far between.

A pale evening dun (or midge) hatch started right as the sun was setting making identification tough. I switched to a dry with an emerger dropper and picked up some of the 8-10" trout working the surface. I was hoping to find some larger fish working amongst them but never hooked anything larger than 13".

After dark, I then worked a minnow pattern along the shorelines hoping to hook a large brown. I suppose I should have stopped at dark because I spent the next two hours flinging in the dark with only the bats seeming to show any interest.

It was a decent night and still makes me pumped for the fall when the big boys will start working the shorelines and fattening up for winter.

The water was 64 degrees and there were about 14 people on the lake in the morning and 6 people in the evening.

Pete
  2. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 2
    Hi Pete
    Were you the lone angler working the far North shore slowly? If so, the girls and I were in a boat, closest to you at dark thirty. Glad you caught a few.
  3. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    If you were in the wooden boat, I was working the shoreline along the road when you rowed out. I went from there across to the point on the North side around dark. I then moved back to the South shoreline and worked around the entire South and East part of the lake after dark.

How did you and your daughters do?

If you are the one in the wooden drift boat, that was a sweet looking boat.

Pete
  4. Tony Mull Member

Lake Stevens, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    remember that right after dark the fish are changing over from cone to rod vision (or visversa) and don't feed very much. the process takes 1-2 hours and then they start eating again.
  5. David Loy Senior Moment

Wolf Bay
    Ratings: +318 / 2
    Thanks Pete
    We caught one, my youngest daughter's first fish. Have a parallel post going.
  6. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    Tony, that's good to know. Usually when I fish it in the dark, it's in the early morning before sun up. I've had some good success then.

I definitely noticed that it was tough to get any hits at all once the residual daylight was gone. I did hear some occasional rises in deeper water but didn't hear or see any real action in the shallows.

Pete
  7. Zane Wyll Member

anacortes, WA.
    was the water any clearer i was on the lake friday and the alge was so thick
    you could spoon it up like egg drop soup. hence we had no luck but we got to try out our new drift boat.
  8. PeteM Member

Snohomish, WA, US.
    Still pea soup. It was actually a little worse than the weekend before.

Pete
  9. marcopolo Member

Your City ,State
    Pete,

You missed the head-on collision between a Subaru and a Winabago right by the South cove about an hour after you left.
    That was the only real action I saw on the lake that day other than a big RB right in front of the launch.
    I am the guy who go on the lake as you were leaving BTW.