Pass Lake eagle makes the news...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Roper, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

2. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

That eagle has swooped down on me a few times. The last time I tried to let him take the fish but he gave up too fast. I like the eagle he's pretty cool. You don't realize how big he is until he's right on top of you.

3. Ron McNeal

Ron McNeal Turtles or universes? I can't decide....

"Tony's" a chump.

4. Thomas Williams

Ok it seems from the story that the news and local wildlife officers don't realize that the eagle does that all day. Do they not realize the guy is fly fishing and the eagle stole his fish and not being baited? Strange, I hope he doesn't get in trouble

5. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Strikes me an awful lot like: "Mess'n with Sasquatch". Looks like the consequences were just delayed a few months.

6. Alosa

Alosa Active Member

I'm interested to see how this turns out. If he did it purposefully then charges are granted, but if he was reeling in a legitimately caught fish and the eagle just swooped down and grabbed it (sounds like its common on Pass Lake) then I think he could simply explain that and it's no big deal.

The media has a tendency to present one sided stories that are deemed 'news worthy' (what a joke), and I have not seen the whole video to make a judgment call myself. Let's hope people don't jump to conclusions about this guy before all of the evidence is presented. That could just as easily been anyone else fishing Pass Lake who just hooked up (and whose wife was filming....hmmmmm...that could be incriminating).

7. Gregg Lundgren

Seemed like the video equipment was all ready to go, and the commentary pre-staged. IMHO.

8. nomlasder

nomlasder Active Member

what a maroon

Roper likes this.
  9. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Sounds like this could go long. Do you prefer the big yellow popcorn or the smaller white stuff? I'm partial to the delicate white product the Amish sell that has no hulls.......

Ive

Roper likes this.
  10. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

This happens all the time at Merrill Lake. It's very common for anglers to take pictures/videos of the eagle trying to take their fish. If you hook a fish and the eagles around, you know what is going to happen next. The eagle is going to dive bomb you and try and take your fish.
    So if I know this is going to happen, am I purposely 'Eagle Baiting'?

The whole thing is being blown way the hell out of proportion!

I really think the eagle should be cited for harassing fisherman RCW 77.15.210-

Obstructing the taking of fish, shellfish, or wildlife — Penalty.

(1) A person is guilty of obstructing the taking of fish[, shellfish,] or wildlife if the person:

(a) Harasses, drives, or disturbs fish, shellfish, or wildlife with the intent of disrupting lawful pursuit or taking thereof; or

11. Gregg Lundgren

Tony slowly hauls in the fish, while his female companion proclaims, "now where is the eagle(for the video)?" I just had to watch it again. It now seems rather obvious to me.

12. Thomas Williams

I had no audio when I watched it on my phone so I didnt here that comment, but still id let the eagle eat the fish. Not to bait the eagle but to let him eat.

13. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

The video didn't work on my phone. Did the dude land the eagle? I caught a loon once. Man they fight.

14. Cruik

Cruik Active Member

The guy's wife's commentary definitely gives it away. If it is litigated, I have to imagine it'd be hard to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that he was intending to get the eagle to grab it, especially since he took his net out. Maybe somebody on here will get to testify as a Pass Lake trout expert. "In your opinion, given that Exhibit A is marked as a 5 weight fly fishing rod, the mid-day summer sun is clearly seen in the video, and the size and species of this trout, was the defendant making a reasonable effort to land this trout?"

15. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

If he's prosecuted with that video as evidence his fishing days might be over for awhile.

16. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

IMO.... it appears he was looking for some action from the eagle. I would prosecute this case as harassment.

17. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

"Yer honer, the defendant was definitely fuckin' with the eagle......" *

Ive

* (lawyer speak)

Brett Angel, Kcahill and KerryS like this.
  18. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

That lawyer could be from Sedro or further up river.

19. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Happened to me up there but the eagle didn't get the fish.

MB

20. The video definitely looks like he was purposely not tryin to actually land the fish but rather just hold it there until the eagle went after it. I don't think he was trying to catch an eagle but rather have a cool video of an eagle stealing his fish. Def guilty of stupidity on this one, but I can't imagine why he would try and catch an eagle that thing would tear him apart if he landed it.