Pass Lake for Thanksgiving?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by ak_powder_monkey, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Islander

Islander Steve

Hey FF, nice report......too nice, that lake is going to look like a bowl of Cheerios for the next week or so with all the float tubes! :D Seriously though, good info. If the weather isn't too bad, I'll head up on Wed.

2. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Media:
    Thanks for the report, Tim. Was that done especially for me, now that I'm back in town? No one can say that you aren't a nice guy. I'll be in touch with you soon!

--Dave E.

3. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Who is heading up? With the OP rivers blown I might just crawl out of bed early enough to get to Pass by the magic 11:00 hr (thanks for the report FF).
    And ye shall know me by my: green SFC, WFF hat, Silver Tacoma with a WFF sticker

4. Islander

Islander Steve

Unless it's pouring rain I'll be up there around noon. Red pontoon in a black Dakota pickup.

5. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Fished the afternoon away on tuesday. Brought two nice bows to hand on a small black beadhead bugger. Was using floating line but the second hit came from down deep so I'd agree about the wisdom of using sinking line. Wish I had some.

Lots of algae.

Might be back for the Wednesday action in the morning. I'll be the guy in the green kayak that's almost bigger than my car-a blue Honda Fit.

6. koolminx

koolminx Member

I was up at deception yesterday and had my fly rod in the back... But I couldn't find my fishing Vest, that has my license and knife and pen and all that jazz in it so I didn't drive all the way to the lake for fear of not being able to hold back :)

Plus my wife wanted to go home... We'd been up since 3AM just driving up there...

The weather was great for fishin'!

7. Islander

Islander Steve

Got on the water around noon, the wind was blowing pretty good. Missed my first take and LDR'd the second, after that things went dead. Tried some different spots with no results. The wind had died down so I went in to warm my toes, rig up a second rod and get some big bugs. I figured if I wasn't catching anything I might as well not catch big fish. I had gotten back out for about ten minutes and it began to rain. I figured I'd might as well pack it in but just as I started to head back, fish on. Netted a half a dozen in the next 30-40 minutes then decided to head in as the rain was getting heavier. Nothing spectacular, all rainbows 16-17 inches, bright and fiesty. Headed home around 4pm. Not a bad day, but by FF's standards I'm just a "novice". bawling:

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    I was there from 11-2. Caught 4 smallish bows 13-15" on an intermediate line with an olive willy. All were tucked in very close to the bank. Missed 2 strikes deeper while trolling a white rabbit strip leach on a 15ft sink tip while crossing from the east to west bank. Wind was quite swirly at times, but I don't think it was because of the Prowlers running about 200 ft off the deck.

9. Islander

Islander Steve

Hey Rob, did you make it to any Fly Shops on the way home?

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Nice outing Steve and Rob. How did everyone else do? Did the lake look like that bowl of cheerios that Steve talked of earlier?

11. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Bring the trap and catch some lobsters, no kidding

12. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    No - heavy holiday traffic made me rethink my plans. Would have been better off just catching the Pt Townsend boat.

13. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

Was going to go, but had such a nice time yesterday that I didn't want to risk a bad day today. Also I had work to do. And my mum was calling me.....OK, so I wimped out. When I saw the wind picking up, I thought, Wind+Kayak≠Fun.

Will be hitting Pass when the weather clears this weekend, though. Can't read this thread without getting excited about it.

("bowl of cheerios".....funny stuff!)

14. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Aw c'mon Steve. I'm not that harsh...my scale was based on a full day. Since you punched the clock at noon, and again at 4, you get to prorate. So you're no longer a novice.....not even by MY standards :clown:

15. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    went 1 for 2 with a rainbow, wish I had my smolt box got a bow on the deciver
    [​IMG]

16. marcopolo

marcopolo Member

Green WB yielded 11 fish on Friday from 7-noon. 10 rainbows and a brown. None will shatter the state size record but each put up a nice fight.