Pass lake frozen?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Big Fish, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

Media:
    I've scraped ice on my truck windshield only twice this year... This is a pretty funny thread haha

2. tom @ fwp

tom @ fwp TP

Was on Pass yesterday, brought 5 to the boat on chronomids and blood worms during daylite, and one large rainbow just after dark on a green wooley tossed near the bank.
    Cold but not frozen. Planning on going back on Fri.
    Wasn't much of a chrono fan until Lone Lake last week when that seemed to be the ticket. Always thought it was too slow and boring. Am now a believer.......would rather sit in one spot and catch at least a fish every 40 mins or so than troll for hours and hit zero. Duh !!

3. Keith Hixson

Keith Hixson Active Member

Chironomids can be fun and fast at times and boring at other times.

Keith

4. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    The only thing frozen at Pass is gonna be your feet, wear an extra pair of neopreen.:ray1:
    The chronos are the way to go at pass! Nice and relaxing and then...Bam lots of fun!!!:D

5. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    So? When the big freeze comes to Pass we are limited to hand augers and Ice skates, no snow machines and gas operated augers right? What diameter will be the ice hole in question be. These will be future questions as the world begins to freeze. TIC

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    You guys are evil. I know Pass is frozen a foot thick in the middle and you are all only saying it is still open and fishing nicely to get my goat. You are all waiting for me to drive all the way up there with all my crap just to watch me blow a gasket when I arrive and find it frozen solid. That's not funny, not funny at all. I'm taking the high road though...like OMJ recommended in another thread, I'm bringing my chain saw to cut a hole big enough to cast into.

Seriously though, I had hoped to have ventured to Pass by now, but have not made it. There are so many lakes I've read about that I want to try. Anyone want to fill in for me at work tomorrow?

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Mumbles - No motors allowed, hand operated augers only!

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    If Pass lake ever got a foot of ice on it you can bet it is way to damn cold to get outside and fish. It might get a slight cover of ice in the winter time but that is all.

Where do people come up with the idea that a lake is frozen. Hell I was stationed in Greenland when I was in the service. We had a lake up there below the icecap and it got a good covering of ice but it was never frozen all the way. It was Thick enough to go out on with a D-4 Cat. About 8' thick. But not all the way. We used to go out and drill a hole thru the ice for water for the place we were living. If you can call living in minus 50 degrees living.

Jim

9. Caveman

Caveman Member

If you really want to know what the temp is at Deception Pass you should yahoo the weather and realize that it is vurtually at sea level and nothing really freezes near there and if it does it doesn't last very long. I fished it last year in the snow and there was no ice on the lake.

Adam

10. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Caveman:

I hate to disagree but I fished on Pass last year when there were just a few acres that were open and accessible. Most of the lake, including the launch area, was frozen. I was able to access in one area from the roadside. The ice didn't stick around that long but it was definitely too thick to bust through in a pontoon boat.

MB

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    First of all you overly serious anglers, I am joking. I grew up in the midwest and know a thing or two about lakes freezing over. OMJ, the lakes in Iceland may not freeze solid due to the geothermal springs in many of them...keeps the water warmer than that environment should be and circulating as well.

12. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Did the same in Jan '07. I parked in the "truck stop" area and got in at the 2nd bay corner. That was the only place you could launch. Just the 2nd bay and a small part of the point were not frozen. Bite was limited in those temps but you could get a few.

Speaking of colder temps, this week was noticably slower at Pass. You could still hit a number of them but the "good" action is confining itself to early hours and becoming shorter and shorter. No complaints - the place was on fire all of Oct/Nov and never let up for a solid 10 weeks. Anyhow, it ain't exactly dead (never is) but if you haven't been there yet, peak Fall season is likely a done deal. Short of a December heatwave I wouldn't count on anymore 20+ days (40+ for you chironomid guys :clown:).

13. Big Fish

Big Fish New Member

Awkwardiagree

14. Big Fish

Big Fish New Member

Thanks everyone it's been really helpful :beer2: ptyd :beer1::thumb: