Pass Lake- my 1st Brown

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by jonbackman, Feb 5, 2011.

1. jonbackman

jonbackman Member

Media:
    Went out to Pass today at sunrise. Launched the new/used pontoon and headed for the bank to cast at the brush. I started off with a new streamer I tied up thinking about the Browns in Pass.
    View attachment 38651
    Saw a few fish breaking the surface, some within casting range, but nobody was interested in what I was offering. Tried a few other patterns; leeches, rabbit strip minnows, but no love. I worked my way along the shoreline, casting and trolling, and it began to feel like a skunk. Then, as my curfew was rapidly approaching, I thought "I came out here to fish my big streamer". So I tied on the marabou streamer again, started casting and stripping, and within 5 casts, I felt like I snagged a log-but the log moved. Good strong fight, took me awhile to get him in to the boat.
    View attachment 38652
    This was my first brown, and it sure was fun. Just a couple other guys on the lake this morning. The feet got a bit cold, but it was calm and beautiful. The eagles and otters were around the whole time. I'll take more one-fish days at Pass if this is what the one fish are going to be like.

2. Loren Jensen

Loren Jensen Active Member

congrats man. i can't wait to catch my first brown out there

3. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

Media:
    Nice healthy brown. Good times.

4. fishingcheftim

fishingcheftim Member

Media:
    Nicely done. Even better that your great looking fly got eaten. Moving logs are a good thing!

5. para_adams

para_adams Active Member

Hey Jon,

Awesome!! Beautiful brown, makes that ol' 'toon look pretty darn nice!
    Ron

6. Upton O

Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Home Page:
    Well done, well earned.

7. Chef

Chef New Member

great job. Nice pics and report!

8. Bruce Baker

Bruce Baker Active Member

Good job! Nice fish. Thanks for sharing.

9. jonbackman

jonbackman Member

Media:
    Ron- yes, the boat is working great. I added a stripping basket, and now I'm 2 for 2 with it at Pass Lake. Thanks again!

10. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

Media:
    Way to hang in there and be rewarded Jon!

11. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Very nice. Hope that I stumble into my first brown soon. That is a heck of a first brown.

12. willburrrr2003

willburrrr2003 Member

That beats my first brown from lake Martha hands down, congrats!! I can't wait to have a good fight like that, had to be a blast :D

13. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Media:
    Nice fish! You must've been the other one who started before daylight. First part of the day was dismal out there so you were in good company...not sure when you took out but it didn't really turn on till late morning.

Hope next time makes 3 for 3!

14. slamminsalmon24

slamminsalmon24 New Member

15. Chef

Chef New Member

will: martha lake is tough. dont beat yourself up. you did well out there. Pass it catch and release.... martha is not. remember that!

16. Irafly

Irafly Bobber Downey Sr.

Media:
    That is a great looking bug, I almost ate it myself when I clicked on it. No wonder that brown couldn't resist, heck he probably wasn't even hungrly just couldn't help himself. I've caught quite a few fish out of Pass over the years but not that many browns and each one is kind a cool good catch man.

Ira..

17. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    Nice fish. Just some additional anecdotal evidence that big flies catch big fish.

18. jonbackman

jonbackman Member

Media:
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I was wondering while I was out there; an otter was hanging around quite a bit in one area where I was fishing. I had no action while it was around. I know when I'm fishing a beach(salt), I don't tend to catch much when there are seals present. Can anyone speak to a similar effect of otters in the fresh? (fish-eating predator is around, so the fish aren't active)

19. Mark Horwath

Mark Horwath Member

It seems logical that the trout would high tail it out of the area? I have had the same experience,I just move on now if they come around. Nice fish by the way,and fly.I wonder if the otters kick up bugs while they are chasing crayfish, in turn the trout eat the bugs?
    Mark,

20. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Media:
    I haven't found that to be the case at all. The culprit yesterday would have been inactive fish in the earlier part of the morning. With conditions the way they were, the fish got active at mid day (80% of my take yesterday came between 11 and 1).

I see those otters all the time and have caught fish all around them when the lake is active. Can't tell you how their diet breaks down but, interestingly, I've seen them eating a lot of crayfish and have never once seen one take a trout. Something else I've noticed, fish will display a lot of behavior that protects them from air predation (eagles/osprey) but I've never observed anything in their behavior that suggests avoidance of otters...logically I would think bigger fish are a much more significant threat to smaller fish than an otter could ever be. Of course I'm not saying otters don't feed on fish but it seems to me an abundant supply of large crayfish is a much easier meal if you're an otter, and just the opposite if you hunt from the air and have superior vision.

My best guess, bigger fish are mostly threatened by birds, while smaller ones are threatened by pretty much everything (eagles/osprey, heron, otters, big fish, etc.). So if you happen to see otters around and the bite is rather lackluster, I still wouldn't draw much or any correlation. Think tempurature, food and visibility.