Pass Lake, my dad, 21 inch brown

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by David Breiger, Aug 12, 2012.

1. David Breiger

David Breiger New Member

Went to Pass last night, arrived around 8pm. I was the only one there except for the swallows, bats and a loud heron. The second anniversary of my father's death is this Friday so I have been thinking of him more lately. He taught be me to fly fish when I was 8 - 47 years ago. He was the only fishing partner I have ever had. He developed Lewy body dementia 10 years before he died and was unable to remember our fishing trips. Before he got sick he became a life member of Trout Unlimited and sent me the Sage rod that was the gift. When I use the rod I always think of him. Yesterday before heading out I looked through some of his flies and saw a nymph I thought would work. When I tied it on last night it still had some tippet material in the eye so I knew he had used the fly. After about 45 minutes of casting and not getting any result I was about to change flies and start trolling but decided to cast a few more times to the bank. That is when I caught this beautiful 21 inch brown. Thanks Dad.
    2012-08-11 20.59.30.jpg

BakerSean1, Jager, KenChar and 16 others like this.
  2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Thank you so much for sharing.

David Breiger likes this.
  3. jonbackman

jonbackman Member

Excellent.

4. Jim Ficklin

Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Thanks for sharing that & well-done, good thoughts. My Dad passed in '71; every time I make it back Montana to fish Georgetown Lake, he's there with me, as in my formative years.

5. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

Thank you for sharing.

I lost my Dad last Thursday to Parkinsons after a long battle. That night after Mom called me of the news, I sat there for a few minutes, then I laid out all of his fly gear that he gave me a few years back. Cleaned and posished it all, lubricated the reels, cleaned the lines, cleaned his sunglasses, straightened the fly box and even added a few to it. Neatly folded his waders, cleaned his wading boots, replaced a shoelace, and tightened the knot on his wading staff.

It's all ready to go Dad, use it whenever you want...

6. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Very nice story.
    Yesterday would have been my dad's 82nd birthday. He's been gone 10 years now. Though he never fly fished, he taught me how to fish and always took me with him starting at a very young age.
    I celebrated his birthday by going fishing and catching a silver off the beach. I know he would have enjoyed that.

7. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Thanks for sharing! After my father passed I had very few people to fly fish with and kinda left fly fishing for awhile, not because I didn't want to but because My best fly fishing friend was gone. about 3 years ago I told myself I just had to fly fish - it's always been my passion and thankfully a few fishing friends have made the change and came along with me. I still gear fish but now fly fishing comes first and I have met a few more fly fishers in the last year.

He taught me how to fish when I was about 5 and fly fish at age 12 and we grew in the sport together. He's been gone for some 12 years now and still miss him on the waters. thanks dad!

Duane J and David Breiger like this.
  8. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

I was there during the day and opted out of the evening minnow feed, no particular reason. Now I know why.

Glad you got it to yourself and great story. Thanks for sharing..

Tim

9. Islander

Islander Steve

Nice report and fish, you made your Dad proud.

10. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Thank you for sharing a wonderful story. I can only hope my son cherishes the memory of our fishing trips as much when I pass on.

11. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Great story and fish! You'll remember that night for a long time.

12. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

Great story and beautiful fish David. I was lucky enough to take my 90 year old dad and 20 year old son to the cariboo this year for a week of fishing. It was really great watching my dad catch fish one more time! Hopefully next year too!