Pass Lake on Sunday

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Strawfish, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Strawfish

Strawfish Member

I decided to take advantage of the nice day and try Pass yesterday. The water temp was 62, so it's starting to
    come down. I got on the water a little after 11:00, but no action until after 2:00. There were only 3 or 4 other boats on the lake, so I started to wonder were all the fly guys are on such a beautiful day. Things started to happen around 4:00. They started showing interest in a brown woolly bugger with on bead. I netted 8, and missed about that many. They were all rainbows between 12 and 15 inches, and very scrappy. As usual at Pass, the wind blew like heck, but the pram handled it okay. The algae at the launch was like pea soup, but out on the lake it wasn't too bad. The weather started moving in so I got off around six, I was hoping to stay a little later and get into a brown or two, but I was done with the wind. All in all, I would call it a good day.

2. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Which way was the wind blowing? Those windy days on that lake can be the best. I've actually found that it really doesn't blown on the lake nearly as much as it does in some of the surrounding areas. The Pea Soup can also be a very good thing as well. Most of the time it isn't that thick and the fish will stack underneath it as a form of protection. They can easily feed under it without fear of predators and it tends to make them even more aggressive.

3. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

The wind was fairly mild, Ira. Kind of blew in all directions. It fished a lot like when you and I were there. Late afternoon was decent but took some work, and they were out in the open at depth. Then you remember just before dusk...same exact thing.

4. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Did you follow my lead, or did you stay where you were?

5. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Stayed. Couple dozen and had it to myself. Everyone had just cleared out, otherwise I was headed for Ira City.

Irafly likes this.
  6. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

so how long does the algae stick around ?
    i am not used to fishing lakes in the fall due to hunting or river fishing.
    fished a north sound lake this week. only landed one decent brown. most fish seemed to be taking mids in stealth mode. lake water felt cool to me, but without the thermometer who knows.