Pass Lake Report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by alelliott, Apr 10, 2005.

1. alelliott

alelliott Flytyer16

Media:
    Me and my fishing buddy have fished Pass Lake the past few weekends and have had some good luck. We landed several nice rainbows 18"+ range. Black Chironomids seem to do the trick. Other fisherman on the lake were taking fish on chironomids also, while trolling was not as good.

2. soccerstud

soccerstud New Member

what part of the lake did you pick them up if you don't mind me asking

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    I was there today and it was great. A brown Chronomid was most productive for me. I got a beautiful 18 inch Bow, and a Monster 23 inch Brown. Great day on the lake. :thumb:

4. Doug

Doug Member

Media:
    I fished it on Saturday also and did pretty good. My first fish was caught in less than a minute after I put my fly out and was a 20 - 21" brown. Then in the evening I caught two rainbows on a dry chironomid.

Some mayflies and caddis flies were also on the lake and being taken by the fish.

Passman, was that you that I was talking to at the boatramp? I had the blue pontoon boat.

5. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

6. soccerstud

soccerstud New Member

when fishing chironomid's do you usually catch browns or rainbow?

7. alelliott

alelliott Flytyer16

Media:
    I have caught mostly rainbows but have caught browns also.

Attached Files:

8. ghflyflinger

ghflyflinger Member

alelliott, well done that is a beautiful fish :thumb:

9. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Tangles and Stud,
    A Chironomid is sort of fly fishermen slang for some insects in the order "Diptera". To a fly fishermen, a Chironomid would be an aquatic insect that spends its egg, larva, and pupa stage in the water, then ascends to the surface by way of gas build up under the exoskeleton. The adult Chironomid lives on land, mates, in the air and on land, and then lays its eggs in the water, and the process starts all over again. Almost all freshwater predatory fish (like not chum and pink fry) feed on some type of Chironomid; in fact I challenge you to find me one that doesn’t. In freshwater lakes and ponds, Chironomid pupae are often the most fed upon food source in the entire system. Brown and rainbow trout prefer them equally, however unless there is a massive emergence (these things can last for as much as 30 days, with the pupa ascending and descending the water column in preparation for emergence) very large brown trout (say 25" on up to over 30") and to a lesser extent large rainbow trout, tend to prefer baitfish and larger prey items over the typically smaller yet readily available Chironomids. There is always an exception to this however. Fish them and understand them, it will add to you success rate amazingly. Some Chironomids can also reach very large sizes, like 8 and even 6, so don’t leave the big patterns at home.

Peace,
    Andy

10. Randy Hardy

Randy Hardy Member

Zen,

That was an excellent technical answer. However, I thought the question was ..DRY? chronomid, or what is a "DRY" chronomid. I am not sure what that is. :confused:

Thanks,
    Randy

11. barbless

barbless Member

An adult chironomid, AKA a "Midge". They look like mosquitos, but they don't bite. I think most people may think of chironomids in their earlier life stages, but the adults do fly...therefore can be imitated with dry flies.

barbless

12. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

Yes, that was the question. Always think of a chronomid as some thread wound tight round a hook fished down, versus a fuzzier thing that floats.
    Thanks for the clarification.

13. Doug

Doug Member

Media:
    The dry chironomid pattern that I was using, was a Lady Mcconnell which was developed by Brian Chan. This pattern has been very effective more me at Pass Lake along with other lakes. You can see the pattern in "Fly Patterns for Stillwaters" by Philip Rowley.

Hopefully this will clear up anyones questions along with Zen's good description.

14. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Ok, the point i was trying to make is this, chironomids do not spend their entire lives under the water. They emerge from it to breed. So, a dry chironomid pattern would be one that imitates the adult stage of the life cycle. I thought that could be inferred from my first post, maybe not, because fly fishing terms sometimes lead to pre-formed ideas about what something is, even though that may not be the entire story. Do I sound baked or what?

Peace,
    Andy

15. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Doug what size hook are you using on your Lady Mcconnell? I have a few tied up in one of my boxes, not even sure what one any more but I think they are on to big of a hook. I think I tied them on size 18 dry fly hooks. Might try again to tie a few tonight if time allows between packing and installing new rod holders to my yaks tonight before leaving to Dry Falls in the morning. I tied a few this winter with some long scrap antelope body hair cut off of from some spun mouse flies I tied up and really liked how they looked and even more how well they floated.

16. Doug

Doug Member

Media:
    It looks like a size 14 that I was using. I have attached a photo for everyone to see if you don't have Philip's book.

Attached Files:

17. sea

sea Member

Media:
    The one time I fished Pass we caught 5 fish in 2 hours, all 18+, one on a leech, the rest on size 14 adams, trolled very slowly-which we discovered not on purpose.

18. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Doug
    Thanks for the photo.
    That's a pretty simple fly alright but what is the back made of? Hollow hair?

TC

19. Doug

Doug Member

Media:
    The back is made of deer hair.