pass lake report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Krush379, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Krush379

Krush379 repeat customer

anyone been to Pass lately?

2. SmokinAces

SmokinAces Keepin' It Reel

Can't say I have but I want to go soon. I'll let you know how it goes if I head out sometime this week.

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    I asked my boss today who lives by there how it was. She saw one tooner out there yesterday. So it must be clearing, should be ice free by tomorrow. I hope.

4. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Completely ice-free as of this morning...no trace of snow or ice (Campbell had some). Pass looks like it never happened. Rain/wind stayed under control and late morning was actually calm. A few rainbows came calling but as expected the bite was overall slow...at least it's coughing up fish in these temps, no complaints. I'd expect slightly better action by Thur/Fri with all this warmth. 'Lazy' presentation was the only thing on the menu but the strikes were abrupt. Best bet is first light and slow-troll your ass off near bottom at 10-15'. Oh, and take care of your feet, brrrr.

Had the place to myself all morning and looks like Zane took the afternoon shift (recognized the cool boat). Also found a stainless thermos top at one of the roadside pullouts. Anyone missing it PM me...looks like it's from a nice one.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    FF delivering some much needed good report information, thank you, there is hope!

6. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    went yesterday in the pouring rain two rainbows to hand. wet and slow but at least i was fishing.Felt good just to get on the lake agian.

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

If I lived as close as you, I'd probably be out in this junk too. You certainly earned those two bows. Love to see those swans this time of year up north.
    MB

8. Trent

Trent Ugly member

Cold, wet, and raining. That's my report.

9. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Made the long drive up there today, cold, wet, windy. No fish, cold, wet, windy.

10. sethkett

sethkett New Member

Fished from about 1:00 to 4:00 Sunday had several missed fish and landed three; a 17" and 2 in the 12-13" range. Intermediate sink and a slow moving carey special seemed to do the trick. It has been a couple of years since I last fished Pass so I have to thank those that have posted recent reports for their help.

11. SmokinAces

Anyone been out recently? I'm thinking about hitting it up sometime next week, I'll let you guys know how i do.

Thanks
    SA's

12. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I tried to go out on tuesday the ice was to thick to bust through with the drift boat. If you are in a toon or float tube the north end is ice free or at least it was yesterday. You should be able to get in of the highway at the first pull off.

13. SmokinAces

Thanks Zane, forgot all about the ice bc the weather has seemed to calm down for the most part. I forget how darn cold it has been lately though. Might have to put my trip on hold for a little while then.

Thanks again for the update,
    SA's

14. Zane Wyll

Zane Wyll Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    SA No prob if you ever want to know how pass is let me know as I live 5 min away and if you need someone to fish with I'll bring the boat you bring the beer.

15. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    Had it to myself yesterday (Thurs). Ice covered ~10 acres at the launch/1st cove area but was melting fast. Rest of the lake was ice free and active. Should be game-on for the weekend.

16. Doug

Doug Member

Media:
    I hit Pass on Friday and caught one at the far end of the lake using a carey special. I talked to another fisherman and he was doing pretty good in the morning with chironomids held about a foot off of the bottom.

Had to launch from the road since the boat ramp area still had ice but it was melting pretty fast with the warmer temperatures we are starting to get.

Also got to see a Bald Eagle land in the water to grab a fish and then he had to swim to shore to get out.

17. mozart

mozart Chris

Since it was such a nice day I decided to take a drive down to Pass today to see what all the hooplah was all about. Very beautiful lake - better than I imagined. The water was glass. Nothing really biting except for the cold water. Saw a few rises but they were minimal. Tried wooley buggers, leech patterns, and a carey special - no takers. Tomorrow I think I'll try to Squalicum since it's so close to home. When the weather warms up, however, I'll be back to pass to try my hand at some of those Browns I've heard so much about.

Attached Files:

• 129.JPG
      129.JPG
      File size:
      2.9 MB
      Views:
    • 128.JPG
      128.JPG
      File size:
      2.1 MB
      Views:
  18. Caveman

Caveman Member

by far the toughest lake to catch fish. Just takes time, once you learn it you are in.

Adam

19. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    Hit and miss if you don't know the drill there. Agreed. If you catch a great midge hatch and have the emerger to match it, wow, it can be amazing what you get off the surface. Once you go down and dirty when the hatch is off, you start learning it.

20. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Media:
    Caught my largest Brown there just out from that overhanging branch there to the far left in your first picture...:)