Pass Lake Report

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by rainbow88, May 11, 2013.

1. rainbow88

rainbow88 Member

I finally got out this season and drove up to Pass lake for the morning. I got on the water about 9:00 and kicked up to the weed bed on the west side of the lake. I got no bumbs on my way up and it seemed pretty slow for everyone- for all the boats on the water I saw only a couple fish caught. Eventually, I switched over to a callibaetis nymph. Immediately, I hooked into a nice 14 inch fish, but then nothing. Since nothing else seemed to be working, I decided to throw some ant patterns from the back of my box that I tied up in high school. They had never been used and were already falling apart. I was surprised to find quite a few willing fish and had a nice day of dry fly fishing. About 12:00 I started kicking back to the boat ramp and picked up a few more nice fish on the callibaetis nymph. Overall, I brought 5 fish to hand and missed 2-3 others- a pretty good morning for me.

Question for everyone- what is the north end of the lake like? I've been hesitant to kick down that far in my float tube because of how long it will take to get back, especially if the wind kicks up. Is the structure very different at the north end? Is it ever possible to get away from the road noise (at least a little)?

2. Paul Potter

Paul Potter Member

rainbow88,
    The far end is a good place to be. Look at Tim Lockhart's book (Stillwater Strategies) for information on Pass. Also posts on this site by Ford Fenders.
    You are right to take the wind into account if you go past the Point (the weed bed you fished). Most days there is wind from the south in the afternoon, and if it builds, kicking back from the far end can be a long process.

3. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

was there after you left rainbow. yes lots of mayfly's coming off. pretty small though. i'd say around a size 16. i had all my luck on the tan chrono. same as last year. had a slow period for about an hour. best area was at the point on the left as you look out from the boat launch. sometimes the wind helped sometimes not. normal for this time of year very small mids to about a 14. from tan to light gray and some light green.
    thank you to my lovely wife for letting me fish on Mothers Day. she is a Keeper.

Mark Kraniger likes this.
  4. Greg Price

Greg Price Love da little fishies

Rainbow 88,

You were wise to stay near boat ramp if you felt like the day would turn windy.

As a newbie fly fisherman in the mid 1990's, I spent the most miserable day of my still water existence on that lake trying to kick my way back to the ramp from the far end in my float tube with cheap fins tied onto my wading boots, ugh.

Since then I have invested in scuba type fins and use neoprene booties instead of my old wading boots.

I have been back to the lake a few times, but only in a drift boat.

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    There is a trail on the opposite road side of the lake that you can hike your tube in and out on.

Darryl Pahl likes this.
  6. Darryl Pahl

Darryl Pahl Active Member

That's a really useful bit of info to know. I too have been hesitant to get to the other end because of wind and time constraints due to family issues. But I'm always up for a hike/scramble/bushwhack with the float tube.

7. skyrise

skyrise Active Member

Ira, what about the parking on that other end ?
    cars are really going when i drive there. scary that i would be trying to pull off and not get slammed into.

8. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Media:
    About the far end, it fishes really well but, then again, so does the rest of the lake at the right time. Just a matter of that trade-off between fishing around more guys and having to commute more. Closer to the launch you get guys who simply don't want to travel far, then others will show up, see where most of the people are and assume that's where all the fish are. But I wouldn't venture to the far end in search of better fishing, it's the same. Go there if you want a little more space and shoal area to yourself and have the time.

Logistically, the entire circumference of the lake is accessible by foot, split into three sections. From the launch you can take the trail to the orchard in 15-20 min (takes about twice that to float it in a tube, no oars). From the orchard you can pick up the gravel road out to the highway. Couple of things there, steer wide of the immediate area around the park ranger's house, that's home for his family. Only access the gravel road by foot (no cars) if you really have to. I tend to leave it alone but have used it 2 or 3 times in a pinch. It's still their driveway. The third section is obviously the highway. Works but if I'm hiking end to end I like to use the trail side. If you're dying to, you can get to the highway from the far corner on that side (the shallow weedy area) but you have to hit the woods just short of the corner, hoof it over the little hill, make your way into the open field and cut through the little greenbelt up to the road. That's only a few minutes but it takes a little effort. Orchard side is just easier and no cars to deal with. Parking-wise it's pretty limited outside the boat launch. The highway has a little access but at the far end it's not worth the effort to park safely and legally, then get yourself onto the water.

That said, most of the time I still just fish my way down and back. If I'm pressed for time I just stay around the near end.

Paul Potter and Irafly like this.
  9. rainbow88

rainbow88 Member

That's good info- thanks everyone!

10. Daryle Holmstrom

Daryle Holmstrom retiredfishak

Media:
    Back in the 60's they use to pick MAGIC mushrooms in that field :)

11. Jim Speaker

Jim Speaker Active Member

Home Page:
    The North end of the lake is fairly similar to the West bank of the lake before you get to the point in terms of depth. It's shallower than most of the lake judging by soundings I got about a long cast from shore. It runs consistently about 10-14' deep 80-100' from shore from the house all the way down to the corner by the road and inlet. Comparatively, most of the rest of the lake drops off more quickly and you'll find depths around 20' deep, sometimes more, 80-100' from shore. The shallows along there seem to have more significant weed beds than much of the lake. There is also a bit more hard structure down there than the West bank I spoke of - I've snagged a few flies when I let my intermediate line go too deep, but was able to retrieve them by kicking back over them and popping em out the way they went into whatever the structure is.

The posts above are right on: without oars I'd never venture down that far.

12. Paul Potter

Paul Potter Member