Pass Lake Saturday

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by KenChar, Sep 23, 2012.

1. KenChar New Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Went out to Pass Lake for my first time this Saturday and really enjoyed it. Growing up on South Whidbey I drove by Pass a lot but never fished it. It was my first real experience doing still water fly fishing and I think it was a success. I was using a few different Wooley Buggers at first (black, olive and purple) with no luck. I switched up to a White Bunny Leech my buddy made and trolled around for a while. I got a lot of hits and ended up bring three fish to the net! A baby 7"er, 16"er and a tough 17"er that really put up a fight. All were rainbows. The 17" actually hit and missed but I snagged his side so I'm guessing that's why he was fighting so hard.

There is a lot of Algae in the lake which I didn't expect so that is why I didn't stick with an Olive bugger long. But the white leech got a lot of attention and is what I will probably use next time I get out there.
  2. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ratings: +387 / 16
    My first time fishing Pass I also foul hooked 2 rainbows while trolling leech patterns. After speaking with another angler at the boat launch and telling him about it. He said that it had happened to him as well. He told me he suspected that the fish were batting their tails at the pattern in an attempt to injure it.I dont know if rainbows do that or not but it was an interesting theory. Pass is the only place I have ever foul hooked a trout.
  3. troutdopemagic Active Member

Lake Stevens, Washington
    Ratings: +134 / 0
    I only streamer fish up against the bank at Pass and I've done that more times then I can count. I foul hooked one of the biggest trout I've ever seen in that lake that eventually got off.
  4. KenChar New Member

Seattle, WA
    False hooking isn't new to me, I've done it plenty of times salmon fishing off the shore on Whidbey. Those flounder love to get under buzz bombs. But false hooking trout is entirely new, as is fly fishing in general.

Streamer fishing seems like the best option for me there too. It's nice to keep moving around and around until you find a pocket. Which for me was about 30 yards off the boat ramp.
  5. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Fishing chironomids around the weed bed is very effective too. If you want a chance at a big brown throw large sculpin patterns with a fast retrieve to imitate a frantically fleeing fish. I had one real close but set the hook to early because I anticipated the bite.
    KenChar likes this.
  6. KenChar New Member

Seattle, WA
    Guess I'll have to get some sculpin! I've wanted to catch a brown forever, I've only every caught cutties and bows.
  7. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4
    Adding a vertical presentation game would really open up new doors for you for sure.
  8. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Let's get vertical,vertical. I want to get vertical, let's get into vertical. Let me hear your bobber talk, your bobber talk, let me hear your bobber talk!
  9. KenChar New Member

Seattle, WA
    Vertical presentation means what exactly? That sounds a little vague to me.
  10. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4
    Basically it generally refers to a floating line, strike indicator, and longish leaders. You use the strike indicator to hang your flies vertically at a specified depth. Very productive for chironomids, as is typically used, but can be employed to cover a vast array of other situations as well.
    KenChar likes this.
  11. KenChar New Member

Seattle, WA
    Gotcha! I'm still trying to get the terminology down here. Well i have all of the above so I will have to give it a try. I'm going back this Sunday so I'm excited to employ a little more knowledge to my fishing.
  12. Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

Ansbach, Germany
    Ken fishing chironomids in this manner is definitely killer. Use more than one. I like to use a chironomid with a soft hackle dropper about 12-18 inches below the first fly. This is a great tactic when the wind picks up and makes the water choppy. The flies will twitch up and down as the waves move the indicator.
    KenChar likes this.