Pass Lake This Weekend

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Bad-Daddio, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Bad-Daddio

Bad-Daddio Member

Hi all -

The wife will be out of town all weekend and I will have all my chores done so I'm thinking of heading up to Pass Lake. I see that, as of now, the weather is supposed to be pretty bad but we'll see. I'm planning on being there Saturday for sure, possibly even Sunday. Who knows, might head somewhere else on Sunday too.

Anyway - if you a guy there with a Ford F350, and a white pram with crappy brown trim (bought it over the winter, reeeeeally need to re-finish it), feel free to stop and say hello, give me shit, laugh at me, whatever. You won't be able to miss me - I'll be the guy who obviously doesn't know what he's doing, but having a good time anyway.

scott

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    I've been hoping to make it up there this weekend if I don't have to work. Perhaps I'll bump into ya if I do.

3. DennisE

DennisE Topwater and tying.

I've been thinking of going there for a while. My wife's son is in a bowling tournament on Saturday and "I AIN'T GOIN'!" But, I'll already be in the area so...
    I guess I better break out the U-boat and make sure it still holds air. Long term forecast doesn't look bad. Showers, mid 50's and 6 mph, of course that's just their WAG.

4. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

You guys make sure you take some emergers with you. Some surface activity yesterday and it was pretty fun. Saw the famous outhouse slogan forever immortalizing Ira and Nick. Take some paint with you also. ;)

5. Nick Clayton

Media:
    My mom is so very proud! *single tear*

6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Media:
    Hell no, I earned that grafiti, I'm not sure how, but I earned it, I won't paint over it. I might be there Saturday as well if I don't head east.

7. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

You guys say hi to me if you see someone in a 14' Valco.

8. Bad-Daddio

Bad-Daddio Member

So, I've tied up a whole mess of random chironomids, chromies, etc. I've tied some long leaders and I bought some slip indicators, and I'm all ready to go.

I'll be up there tomorrow for sure. This will be an interesting trip - It will the the shake-down trip for this old pram I bought and it will be my first time hanging mids under a bobber. Lotta "firsts" going on at the same time, but it should be fun. Hell, I figure that if the pram floats I'll count the day a success ;)

Hope to see some of you there.

9. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Not for certain yet, but I may have be heading up there with my son in the AM. Long as I can finagle a hall pass from the boss this evening.

10. DennisE

I was hoping to have all day available on Pass, but my wife is making "I want to see the flowers" noises, so I may only have the morning. I PLAN on getting there as near to dawn as I can but I don't know if my sleep-deprived, motel bed body will agree. ;)

11. Jeff Studebaker

Jeff Studebaker Kayak Fly Angler

I'll be out there in the kayak. If you see me haulin' em in, feel free to come over and ask what I'm using (if I'm getting skunked, better stay away – it might rub off).

12. DennisE

What color yak? I'd have brought mine but I didn't like the idea of motel parking lot (lack of) security. I'll just have my Creek U-boat.

13. Jeff Studebaker

My yak is the one at left – army green, with red-bladed paddle. Do you fly fish from the red yak in your icon?

14. Bad-Daddio

Bad-Daddio Member

C.O.P. - I don't mind a crowd but I couldn't even get my truck in there. Might head down to Lone and just come back later this afternoon/evening.....

15. Jeff Studebaker

Good meeting you today, Dennis. Unfortunately that was about the only good thing that happened today...

The lake was fishing good, but I was fishing bad. Down at the far end, the fish weren't impressed with my minimal chironomid collection, but I got four to the boat on a wet fly I tie that looks a bit like a doc spratley with a soft hackle collar instead of a wing. That was it for the entire morning.

Getting tired, I headed back and paused at the big shoal, where I noticed...Mayfly hatch! Fish surfacing all over the place. Yahoo! I tied on a comparadun and tossed it at the bank a few dozen times. Got one to the boat but they weren't really interested in the dry, no matter what I did with it. Tried a couple other dries with no luck.

Then I looked at my wet fly from earlier....and noticed how much it resembled the size and color of the mayfly nymphs. DUH! Tied one on and immediately got some attention but, before I could get one to the boat, my wife texted that it was time to come home and mow the lawn.

Paddled back to the car, where I found a ticket on the window – forgot to display my danged Discover Pass!! It was in the car, just not on the dash. Aaarrgh!

So it could have been a stellar day, but I decided to be an idiot instead.

16. fishingcheftim

fishingcheftim Member

Media:
    ouch, price per fish goes up when that happens.

17. Bad-Daddio

Bad-Daddio Member

So, no Pass Lake for me but I did have a great time at Lone. Caught my first fish on a chironomid ever. Actually, my first four, had another break me off. I don't know how many hits I had - I learned that you gotta be quick setting that hook! Anyway, it was a great day, might do 'er again tomorrow too ;)

18. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Jeff,

I. Think I slipped into next to you around 1:00 pm. I was in the Valco. Was that you? I ended up with a dozen or so. Finished up at the far end. Pretty fun. Sorry about the ticket. I would make a phone call and try to get it dropped.

19. Jeff Studebaker

Hey Mark. That was me.

You got to see my most embarrassing display of poor casting. My excuses: I was tired after being there since dawn....I was trying to cast to the bank with a 3wt (should have switched to my 4wt but was sure that the mayfly hatch would die out in the time it took to take off the sinking line and thread a dry line through the guides).

Anyway, your advice to move in closer to the bank brought me a few takes and one really great fish to the boat. Thanks!

I made that phone call when I got home. A nice woman at Discovery Pass took my info and sent a report to Olympia, and gave me a number to call on Monday to beg for leniency.

20. mat1226

mat1226 Active Member

Yeah, that was a nice fish you caught there. Attached is one from my afternoon in a different spot. Great to make your acquaintance. I live in B'ham as well.

Attached Files: