Pass Lake

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by aaron j, May 7, 2002.

1. aaron j

aaron j Member

Media:
    aaron j

It's funny how many of us turn to the East side of the state in search of quality trout fishing, when there are viable alternatives closer to home. Last weekend, I fished Pass for eight hours on a drizzly Saturday. It was uncrowded, peaceful, and the trout were cooperative. Fifteen rainbow landed, 14-18", and one brown,19".
    Pass Lake can be frustrating. Often the only success is through chironomid fishing, which I rarely have patience for; I'd rather be stripping something through the shallows, or dredging the depths with a streamer. Many times I've been out on the lake with rises all around me and a limp line. But for my money, the surroundings, with eagles and osprey cruising above and a bounty of hungry trout below, Pass Lake is my first choice before crossing the Cascades. Now everyone else go East! :HAPPY

2. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

Point well taken aaron, except you leave out one aspect. You don't tell us where you live, but from my house in downtown Seattle, Lenice is only about a half-hour's more driving than Pass Lake. By the time I cross on the ferry and negotiate all the dirt roads, Cady is close to two hours away. Yes there are good, sometimes overlooked alternatives on the westside of the state, but the westside of the state is pretty big too.

3. YAKIMA

YAKIMA AKA: Gregory Mine

AHHHHH. NOTHING LIKE THE SOUND OF SEMI'S AND CAR TRAFFIC THAT GO SCREAMING BY YOU. BEATS PEACE AND TRANQUILITY ANY TIME....

4. fly15

fly15 New Member

First of all you are right pass lake is a great option on the westside of the mountains but i would rather fish in eastern washington any day.
    Here are a couple reasons.

BIG FISH CONSISTANTLY
    SCENERY
    LESS PRESSURED WATERS(WITH A FEW EXEPTIONS)
    MORE DIVERSE HATCHES
    BIG FISH(OH I ALL READY MENTIONED THAT)
    LESS RAIN

And countless other reasons.

Don't get me wrong I fish over here most of the time and there are some good places for trout but it doesn't compare to eastern washington.Now steelhead thats a different story.
    :THUMBSUP

5. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Fly15: Don't forget about the wind, rattlesnakes, ticks, tube popping Russian olive and abandoned cars pushed off Saddleback Mountain. Saw two snakes last weekend - not rattlers though. Those meadowlarks & canyon wrens are great to wake up to in the mornin, plus the coyote serande at night.

I too prefer E. WA for consistency. I've never had a west side fish burn into my backing like last weekend.

6. fly15

fly15 New Member

The only problem I have ran into so far on the eastside is that darn wind, but I am sure I will have a few incounters with the things you mentioned sooner or later.Hey MICROBREW have you done any fishing lately? GOOD FISHING TO YOU ALL. :THUMBSUP

7. espja

espja New Member

Media:
    Yea,
    aaron j, I love Pass lake too, don't get me wrong, the east side is always a special trip for me. But I understand why you feel this way about Pass lake. Alot of people don't know how to fish this lake and fail to realize it produces up to 31 inch brown trout. I'll put this lake up there with any of them for size of fish. And yes It doesn't have the diverse insect hatches of the eastern lakes but fall fishing with the big browns and rainbows crashing minnows in the shallows or up against the bank is pretty intense too. As for the East side/ West side debate, anywhere it seems worth fishing any more is a 2 hour drive. All quality water is worth it, or we wouldn't it.

Happy hunting,
    Joe

8. aaron j

aaron j Member

Media:
    aaron j
    Well, I'm glad to see I stirred up a conversation topic. It's obvious that many of us passionate flyfishermen have strong opinions about our favorite fishin' holes. I've been fishing all my life, and flyfishing and tying for the past eight years, and the majority of the time I do spend in the Columbia Basin chasing the more robust trout that reside there. I merely felt that it would be good to point out an alternative over here, at the risk of exposing one of my favorite places to the masses. Not that that is really possible since most of the flyfishermen in the area are well aware of Pass Lake, and Cady for that matter.