Pass Last Weekend

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Irafly, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I fished Pass last weekend and if you could handle the nasty wind and cold, there were certainly fish to be caught.

I fished it Saturday with Ford Fenders and we swapped ideas and we even swapped rods for awhile. He fished an indicator with vertical presentation and I fished a full sink. Both of us found fish with each others methods and learned valuable information to boot. Fishing was fairly consistent most of the day in the 3' to 9' range and at one point we ventured out into the 15' range to avoid the wind for awhile. Not as productive but we still did mange to find fish.

Sunday I ended up with the lake to myself the whole day and I caught fish consistently once again throughout the day. I experimented with both vertical presentation and cast and retrieve. Both seemed to work well but at times both would slow down and switching seemed to keep the bite on. I pretty much stayed shallow again all day and for the most part I only ended up anchoring in three different locations.

I hope to be back out again before a real freeze hits us. If I head out again I'll let everyone know.

2. Jeff Dodd

Jeff Dodd Active Member

sounds like a great day! Irafly and Ford Fenders catching fish even on these short days. If you fish Pass again I would love to drive up and join in the fun.

3. bakerite

bakerite Active Member

I may be up after Christmas to see my dad. Haven't fished Pass for years and would love to meet some of you up there if the timing works.

Jeff Dodd likes this.
  4. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Ira I never understood why you were cross-eyed, but after watching you stare at that indicator...

(Count me in if you can get back up there...hope so)

5. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Now you know that you need to be one with your indicator, almost zen like. "It paused! Set it, set it!"

6. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Cross-eyed, zen like - I like it. what was the average fish at pass this time of year? are there any fresh water shrimp for them in the winter?

7. GSVette

GSVette New Member

I was one of the other boats out there on Saturday-first time at Pass-slow trolling a wooly bugger-only one light take. You guys must have been the two I saw at the far end of the lake. Wish I would have had a chance to talk to either of you and get the skinny on what was working.

8. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Working late at The Office

Hey Mark,
    If you're asking size the mainstay is rainbows 14-18." Also has the next generation of planters running 12ish, they won't stay that size for long. Browns similar but much less of them. Not many of either over 20" but that cycle will come around soon enough. If you're talking average catch rate it's all over the place but will say this fall has been exceptional (and still going strong as we speak). "Lots" is a good description.

This time of year food is largely minnows that regularly congregate along the banks. Use your imagination on that one. The lake also has a good crayfish population in addition to leeches, chironomids, etc. Chironomids are actually the most prolific source throughout the year (Pass and Lone up here are famous for that). Oh, and those planters are a food source for mature browns. Seen that firsthand.

We'll have to talk if you're coming up anytime soon. Either that or I'll travel south and we can fish in your neighborhood!

Tim

9. Drifter

Drifter Active Member

Great info thanks! I'm thinking I could pick my daughter up in Seattle and just keep on going, but the camping might be brutal this time of year (thinking early JAN.) before her school starts back up. It would be just to far for a one day trip but the camping would be just like elk hunting! Thanks again I wouldn't want to plan for it with smaller fish (14" and under) this time of year. as long as I know there are good fish to be had, the catching would be up to me!;)

I asked about the shrimp because most of the fish over eastern Oregon are shrimp fed and weigh a lot because of it. A 15" shrimp fed fish can weigh as much as a 20" fish in other waters.

10. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

The fish are not shrimp fed. Some are healthy but for the most part they are not pigs. Right now the average size of fish in Lone run larger than the Pass lake fish with a greater chance of a 20 + inch fish.

As far as camping, I'll bet I can talk my wife into letting guests stay the night in our spare bedroom. But I'm a good hour from Pass and Lone is a ferry ride away which makes Lone a half hour trip. Either way I could accommodate. Oh and the next level is not with mids, it is other stuff.