Pass on Sunday

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Irafly, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Irafly

Irafly Bobber Downey Sr.

Media:
    I'll be there in my green 10' Spring Creek Pram Hopper II. Feel free to come on over and say high. I am more than willing to share some of my vertical presentation knowledge.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    OT list came out a bit ago and I am off this weekend. My fiance is off as well. She will be joining me Sunday for a Pass lake adventure. Look forward to seeing ya.

3. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I just may try to make it. Always open to new knowledge. Not sure if I'll take the Walker Bay or outcast.

When are you planning to be there?

MB

4. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Albums:
    We'll be taking the 6:30 Port Townsend boat so will be on the water around 8. Hope to see you there.

5. Islander

Islander Steve

Wish I could make it Sunday and learn from Darth Vader himself but I can't. I am planning on being there Monday or Tuesday depending on the grouse hunting. Don't scare the fish too badly. I'll be fishing deep and horizontally. :)

6. Scott Salzer

Islander:

What if I say cookies?

Any luck so far on dem grouses?

MB

7. Islander

Islander Steve

Oh, man, Scott, you're ruthless.:eek:
    Have to help the wife with her business so I don't have any chance of escape. You can come Sunday, bunk at our house and fish again on Monday.
    No grouse yet, first outing will be next week. Camping at Deception Pass starting Monday and hitting some close area one of three days, fishing the other two.

8. Scott Salzer

Just have to give you a bad time. See ya in a couple of weeks.

9. Irafly

Irafly Bobber Downey Sr.

Media:
    I posted in the main forum, but in case you are looking here, I have an open seat. PM me if you are interested.

10. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Albums:
    We decided to head over today and get a motel. That way can stop at Cabelas to use my gift cards for a few things I need plus we can get on the water at first light. So stoked to be fishing Pass again!

11. Irafly

Irafly Bobber Downey Sr.

Media:
    I just left cabelas.

12. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Albums:
    Hah nice. We just walked in. After I got pulled over on I five. No ticket though.

13. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

Just about that time I was leavingPass. Took about 2 hours to get home.
    Fished from 7:00-5:00 pm. You all should have a fun time if my day was any indication. Locating them was difficult, but once you do, they keep funneling through.
    Only saw a couple people fishing. Lots of kayaks I found them deep about 1-2' off the bottom. Caught them on a black holo 12 & 14's. After a couple lulls, I found they started to key onto my reddish brown. It continued for the rest of the day. All rb's with 1 BT that was 18".
    When I left there were 2 people still fishing. Would be interested about the evening.

14. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Media:
    You must have been in the pram. Bummer, no idea that was you...saw someone in a boat rowing by as I was getting in. I had been pond-fishing for cutts all day and decided to finish at Pass. The pontoon blew out right after you so just me for the eve.

They're behaving a little differently each night depending on the wind but, for the most part, it's about all those minnows. I can tell they're feeding earlier in the day by the amount of activity...it's fishable with work but they're not on fire. Some can be found at depth as soon as shade hits the water, then closer to dusk they'll start cruising the surface out and across. Dry flies work but this weekend I was getting best results running a GRHE off a floater. That gets good but it's not a long window. Soon as the bats appear it all takes a skid.

With each night showing some variation, and fish changing depth so often, it pays to have 2 rods rigged up (floater/full sink). I'm changing spools back and forth and it's a bit of a pain. Tonight the surface got a lot skinnier with the wind turned up so I had to put the sinker back on just to keep drawing strikes as it got late. Also worth mentioning, the spashing that can be seen in the weeds isn't all it's cracked up to be in terms of catching fish. One or two homeruns possible but out a little and down a little is more productive. That's usually the case with minnows out there.

Should see better numbers/easier fishing in eves as it gets into October.

Duane J likes this.
  15. Mark Yoshida

Mark Yoshida Active Member

FF , sorry I didn't stop to say hello.I was rowing like a bat as I was Late for a date with the wife because the fishing was excellent. I should have known it was you. The wind was slowly picking up but your right they feed All day very consistantly.

16. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Albums:
    Interesting day on the water. Fished from six am till about four thirty before the boss decided she was tired. 11 total to the net, ldr'ed a few, and missed several. Never really got too dialed in. Best fishing the first few hours then spotty all day. Got fish trolling leeches, casting leeches, casting a orange and partridge, and assorted flies under the indi. Wish I could have fished out the evening with Ira but getting my fiance home at a decent hour on Sunday night is a small price to pay for her spending all day on the water. She missed several hits and managed to land her first fly caught fish. Of course Ira would probably try to blame that on a lack of a hook on her rod being to blame for all her missed strikes but he cannot be trusted to tell the truth with such matters....

Irafly and Jeff Dodd like this.
  17. Scott Salzer

I got on the water about 0900. Ira was already heading for the far shore. I had one of my better days on Pass with (16) to the nest, a few LDR's and a couple of break offs. Most fish were around 16", with a few bigger ones to 18. I set up in 14' of water, and fished a red SJW and a black sno-cone dropper. They hit both offerings and tended to hit the SJR a bit more. H20 temp was 66.

Ira popped over to join me for a bit and he missed a couple of take downs. Nick, I heard you were out there but our paths didn't cross.

I had to point out that a spinning rod with a clear plastic bubble, trolling a fly was not acceptable on FF waters. The individual put up a bit of an argument but, when I mentioned the potential fine, they moved to the shore and packed up.

I good day to be out.

MB

18. Nick Clayton

Media:
    Albums:
    Scot, I had a feeling that was you in the white boat. Saw you hook up a couple times as I was rowing my fiance in for a bathroom break, but we spent most of our time at the far end. Glad you had a good day.

I noticed the guy with spinning rod. I was curious if that was legal just didn't have a copy of the regs with me. Thanks for speaking up.

19. Islander

Islander Steve

If you are disabled the regs say you can use a spinning rod and a bobber with a fly. Otherwise it's a conventional fly line. Hey, don't Scott and Ira use a bobber and a fly?:D

Great report guys. I'm leaving today and plan on hitting it this evening. Chase some grouse tomorrow and then fish again on Wed. Hope to do as well as you guys did.

20. Scott Salzer

Steve:

I understand about that exception, but thanks for pointing it out.

We can it a " strike indicator"! Although, I prefer depth adjuster.

You have been know to visit the dark side.

MB