Pass or Rattlesnake

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by TANGLES, Oct 20, 2004.

1. TANGLES

TANGLES Richh

Headning to Pass or Rattlesnake on Friday. Anyone been to either on lately? Taking the wife for her second time so trying to hedge my bets. Thanks.

2. AFJBugger

AFJBugger New Member

I fished Rattlesnake two weekends ago and it was decent. There was a size 12-14 mayfly coming off, I had a little luck with a cdc emerger. Also there were quite a few black caddis 14-16 towards the shore with an occasionaly one out in the middle. Buggers and leeches would be your best bet I would think, I will be out on Sat. Good luck to you.
    AJ
    Now I can start posting more with my new job, and lack of looming manager!

3. hikepat

hikepat Patrick

Media:
    Had some good top water action at Rattlesnake myself 2 weekends ago on some of those Caddis. Real rare for there to be top water action there except in the evening but there it was. Fishing was still alittle slow but it was nice to be able to catch a few on dries. Had a little trouble casting the 3-wt after fishing so much 8-wt for the past few months for Salmon
    Might head up that why myself on Sunday afternoon if my hangover from Saturday night is not to bad. Old roommate comming in to town from Idaho for the snowmobile show and I am pretty sure we will be drinking hard Friday and Saturday night. I will just have to see how it all goes. :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

4. 2 Much Fishin

2 Much Fishin New Member

I always have better luck at Pass lake. I was there last week and had a great time. To make it easier for a beginner, I would just put on a slow sinking line and troll around the lake. You should catch a few fish. The fish are fighting super hard right now, be prepared for some battles!

The big fish may make it tough for a beginner - I took a beginner out there and he proceeded to lose 5 or 6 fish before actually landing one.

Three weeks ago I went to Rattlesnake and also found the trout occasionally taking the adult mayflies, but it was so inconsistent that it was not worth fishing them. If you do choose rattlesnake it will probably be a leech trolling game with relatively small fish compared to Pass Lake.

5. Doug

Doug Member

Media:
    I fished Pass Lake on Monday afternoon and caught a nice 15 - 16 rainbow on a Kaufmann Emerger. Had another one on in the same area and missed two others. If I had the right size fly, I think I would have done better.

Some rises were present along the left side from the boat ramp as they would go after some emerging midges.