Pass the insects

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by callibaetis, Feb 26, 2002.

1. callibaetis

callibaetis Guest

I have fished Pass for about 2yrs now and have had good days about 3/4 the time. I have found that the fish are either taking chironomids or streamers. When the midges are happening its consistent, not fast, fishing. In the evening the action on top can be great with adult patterns like the racoon. When the minnows are hatching, mid summer/fall, a fly cast to shore is often greeted by an explosively aggresive trout(often a big brown). In summary I enjoy fishing at Pass Lake BUT I have a question.
    Besides chironomids what other insect activity warrants immitation, what other hatches are there? The books mention mayfly, damsel, caddis, and dragonfly activity but I rarely have seen them in any numbers. I guess there are more than a few damsels but not many more. Part of it may be that I am either in the Okanogan, Columbia Basin, or South Cascades during most of the spring/summer. I hate to think that Chironomids and buggers are the only thing going at Pass. What have you guys seen happen up there? Scuds, ants, crawdads? Share your wisdom, tell me the ways of the Farce. :DUNNO

2. steve s

steve s Member

Media:
    well a nice hatch to hit in the summertime would be your name. i have seen a few callibaetis flies on the water before and had a bit of luck with them. and i know that cranberry lake which is just south of there has a really nice population of crawdads, so i assume that pass would at least have a few. and i'm not too sure about a scuds there, although, i've never looked for them.
    good luck

steve s

3. callibaetis

callibaetis Guest

Thanks Steve, I'll have to keep an eye out for them speckled wing duns.
    What else have you all seen out there?

4. redgibber

redgibber New Member

If you look at the history of Pass Lake, the old timers favorite fly was the Pink Lady, wet and dry.These were successful because of the callibeatis hatches so common on the lake. Steve Raymond, in his book "Year of the Angler" has some great passages on Pass Lake and the dry fly. I asked him years ago if he still fished Pass, and he replied that he "didn't much anymore, that the lake had changed."
    Scuds were said to be in the lake prior to a rotenone treatment in the late '70's, I think. Personally, I have never seen scuds in the lake. I'm pretty sure that the large population of fathead minnows and midge hatches are the staple diet of Pass Lake trout. These make up the majority of the trouts diet. Throw in some dragons, damsels, crawfish,backswimmers, a few mayflies, and you have big trout.
    I think, in hindsight, what Raymond said, was that the fish did not rise to the dry as readily. But when he fished the lake, the chironomid fishing so common now was unheard of here. I see trout feeding on the surface everywhere on the lake most evenings.But hooking them.....