Passed the FFF THCI Test today!!!

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steve Buckner, Jun 11, 2006.

1. I was really excited today to take and pass the Federation of Fly Fishers Two Handed Certified Instructors test today! I had considered taking the test about a year ago but decided I would spend this past year fine tuning my casts. I'm very pleased to have one more certification out of the way and now I can start focusing on my Master's Cert. ptyd

2. Congratulations Steve!! You'll do fine on the Master's.....no worries! Down goes another Guiness for ya! Way to go!! :beer2: :beer1: ptyd

3. So what does the FFF THCI test consist of? What does one have to do to pass it? Then What does one have to do to pass the Master cert?

Tall

4. Way-to-go Steve! :beer1:
    No more flies in the jacket right!

Don

5. Congrats Steve! :beer1:

6. Here is a link to what is required for each of the certifications:
    http://www.fedflyfishers.org/certified.php

7. Nice going Steve.

Leland.

8. Right on Steve! From all accounts you seem like a very solid caster. I have been practicing with the spey rod and the amount of casts and things you need to do can get overwhelming, so far I have the felt hat and tweed clothing down, thats about it.

Bet ya 20 bucks I can still throw a double haul further than you, deal? :rofl:

9. Awesome. Congrats Steve. Now I guess I need to pay you for that afternoon of great free instruction this past April on the OP! Joe

10. This is just the Overhead Portion

Overhead Cast (must be performed over water)

1. ____ Demonstrate 3-4 false casts at 70', with narrow loops forward and back.

2. ____ Demonstrate 3-4 false casts at 70', with narrow loops forward and back from off-shoulder /or opposite hand.

3. ____ Explain and demonstrate loop size. Start with wide loops followed by narrow loops in 3-4 false casts at 70'.

4. ____ Demonstrate a tailing loop on command. Explain how a tailing loop is formed.

5. ____ Demonstrate an Overhead Cast with a change of direction cast (30 degrees or greater).

6. ____ Demonstrate an Overhead Cast shooting line to 100'.

Ok After seeing what you have to do, Congrats.

What Line/rod setup did you use? What casts did you have the most difficult with?

Tall

11. Congratulations, Steve! That is a major feat.

12. Way To Go Steve!!! :beer2:

13. Congratulations! This is a huge testiment to your ability and personal commitment to our sport...strong work.
    Chris

14. Thanks for the kind words everybody!

Anyway, to answer Tall Fly Guys question, I used a Sage 9150 that I've owned for about 7 years and used a Rio 8/9 Mid-spey with tips to do the test(a type VI tip is required for a few of the casts). And as the link above describes, the test consists of overhead casts, roll casts, and the various spey casts. The head length of the mid-spey was long enough to do the set line length casts of 70 and 80 feet respectively, and the line shoots well to achieve the 100' casts that are required. A short headed line would be a poor choice given the restrictions of the test.

So what was the hardest part? Well, I'd say that becoming proficient casting off of my left side was because I'm right handed. I started teaching myself to cast off of my left side about 5 years ago. That said, the test does allow the caster to cast off-shoulder if they do not want to learn to cast using the non-dominant side. I've found that being able to cast off of either side of my body works well because I can give the muscles a bit of a break after a long day of fishing and would recommend that folks learn to cast off of either side.

15. "I've found that being able to cast off of either side of my body works well because I can give the muscles a bit of a break after a long day of fishing and would recommend that folks learn to cast off of either side."

I couldn't agree more, not to mention there are situations that (almost) require you to use the 'non-dom' side. That said, it's interesting (for me) to see what casts I can/can NOT do worth a darn with 'left hand up.' :mad:

As an example: a snake roll river right ... RIP IT! Shift sides of the river ...bawling: bawling: bawling: River left and Steve Choate's 'single spiril' is a wiz ... other side of the river:confused: :beathead:

16. COngrats Steve!

FYI to everyone- Steve is a solid instructor who taught me how to double haul and Spey cast a single hand rod. In fact he insisted that I learn the dbl haul first before we hit the water insisting otherwise I'd be too tired by the day's end.

He was probaby right because we fished hard all day.

Now I am finally using a two handed rod and I can attest to the need to learn ALL your basic casts. I had a day on the Skagit this spring that kicked my a$$- I was river right, and there was a strong upstream breeze. I consider myself an intermediate but proficient caster but trying do a off-hand or back-hand single spey or snap T made me realize that these casts were not yet in my arsenal. That large river made me feel very small.

CW

17. I'd take him up on it just to check it out . . . :thumb:

18. So would I if there's money involved.:thumb: Until you 'under line' a 2-hander by one, you've NO idea just how far you can chuck a fly in an over-hand cast. And yes, timing being a bit touchie to get down, you can even 'double haul' with a spey rod.

All kidding aside, the shorter/lighter rods called 'switch rods' are specifically designed to be used as either a one or two handed rod.:ray1:

So there....:p ;)

19. I'm thinking that to the extent Andy said he's still trying to learn the spey aspect and only has the felt hat and tweed coat down, Andy meant he could whup up on a Buckner in a single hand double haul event . . .

Andy is purportedly a fair hand at casting and seems to know his stuff, and I'd be up for checking it out . . . :)