Patagonia Wading Boots

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Troutcreek, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Media:
    Hello,
    Does anyone have experience with Patagonia wading boots? I wear a size 11 Simms Guide boot, and a size 10 shoe size. Will the size 11 be the right size for the Patagonias?
    Thanks and regards,
    Ray

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    I really, really don't recommend the Riverwalkers. I went through three pairs of those that failed on me (seams busting) within a couple trips. They eventually replaced them with the Rock Grip model, which seems pretty damn solid. But that Riverwalker is a pretty weak design.

3. PfleugerPhister

PfleugerPhister Active Member

I would have pretty much say the opposite of what Evan said. I've had very good luck with Riverwalkers, and poor luck with Rock Grips. I've had one pair of riverwalkers that's about ready to be retired, but has literally served a few hundred days and another pair that shows no signs of stopping. Had a pair of Rock Grips and the first time lacing up, half the rivets popped out like an old pair of saltwater boots

4. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Hmm. I know of several others with Riverwalkers that have had the seams bust out on them too. So you must be lucky in that regard. I bought a pair, took them on a multi day trip, and had to send them back after just three days on the water. Got replacements, and they lasted just as long... as did the third pair. In all honesty, I have only used my rock grips twice, and stick to my Simms boots. I have several pairs of Simms, and they haven't failed me yet.

Now, Patagonia products like their jackets and base layers... I can't live without them.

5. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

I've had the same experience with Riverwalkers and their predecessor called the "Beefy" boot. Not beefy at all.

However, for some reason I decided to buy the aluminum bar Rock Grip model this summer and they have been good so far. Obviously, it's too early to draw conclusions about durability, but those aluminum bars are a game-changer in terms of grip. Simply amazing.

Sizing for Patagonias and Simms are the same in my experience (I have both G3 felt and Rivershed vibram now).

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I had 2 pair of the old Patagonia Beefy boots, then 1 pair Riverwalkers with felts, and still wearing (but not much longer by the looks of them) a second pair of Riverwalkers, only with studded felt. The Pataguchiis are the most comfortable wading boots I've experienced, light and feel like wearing bedroom slippers. And that seems to be the downfall. Poor durability. All the boots wear out, burst seams, delaminated soles, always occur long before the felts wear out.

I'll be joining the ranks of anglers searching for new wading boots that are both comfortable and durable, which apparently is asking for a lot these days despite all the advanced technology.

Sg

7. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Simms Riversheds. Every bit, if not more comfy than my Riverwalkers were.

8. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

In addition to comfort and durability, don't forget stability and grip.