Patching/repairing tents

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Steffan Brown, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +64 / 0
    Anyone have any advice on repairing an REI Hafl Dome tent? My dog didn't understand that all he had to do to get out was to use the zippers. Instead, he clawed at the door and now there are 4-5 puncture wounds/rips in the door that I am going to try to repair. I saw the repair kits are relatively cheap, but I also thought about bringing it to a tailor. Thoughts and advice are welcome. Thanks guys.
  2. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,506 / 9
    I have used a product called Tear Mender, works great. I've also used duct tape. In both cases I have repaired from both inside and outside.
  3. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    Another vote for duct tape. It will out last the rest of the tent and give it some charactor as well.
  4. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,034 / 1
    There is/was a place in the Fremont district that repaired tents. I had one repaired there that had a big rip in it. $5 for the tent and $10 for the repair made for a cheap tent.
    Steffan Brown likes this.
  5. Josh Smestad aka Mtnwkr

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +67 / 0
    I believe the place Bill is thinking of is called Rainy Pass repair. I've heard good things about thier work also.
  6. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    I saw that place online... I was a little apprehensive about what the cost could possibly be, but that sounds really reasonable. Thanks guys. Bill, how was the repair job?
  7. Sagebrush Member

portland, or
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Very timely, my two man tent had a run in with raccoons this last year.
    I haven't been able to track an organization here in Portland to fix it. I really didn't want to buy a new one. How does tear mender hold with fabric that gets pulled from pole and pegs?
  8. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +1,034 / 1
    Prices probably went up. My fix was about 10 years ago. Repair job held up thru some rough use. I used this tent for backpacking and a number of trips on the high hunt.
  9. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +689 / 5
    Check with any of your local drycleaners as well. Some have industrial surger (sp?) machines. They can do most of that work for you as well, and fairly cheap too.
  10. Dave Alberts Member

Lakewood, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Go to www.creativeshelters.com and get a roll of their tent/tarp tape... it looks like duct tape but is much "stickier" and last forever. If you don't see it on the site, call them. They are great! They also have some very creative products for building tarp shelters.
  11. Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Mount Vernon, WA
    Ratings: +153 / 0
    Lots of options, most already mentioned. For DIY, there's duct tape and sewing in a new piece. Depends on how handy you are with the needle. You could probably get some similar mesh from a fabric store and sew in a patch. Would probably be a good idea to reinforce the edges of the tear with something after trimming to make it smooth. Then sew in the patch. I'm not familiar with the machines that dry cleaners have, or what they do. But if Jerry recommends it, it's worth looking into.

Rainy Pass Repairs would be a good option too. WA state REI's commonly use Rainy as a repair facility. You can look up their website and deal with them directly.
  12. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +689 / 5
    Chad, not all dry cleaners have them. I just know about the surgers because my Mom is a retired seamstress. They're a heavy duty sewing machine that sews about anything together (and over the years, my Mom has sewn her FINGERS to things, has punctured through fingers and bone). Just from my job, I've delivered to quite a few over the years, and one I had on an old route had a surger machine in the back.
  13. Just.Mark Member

DuPont, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    My dog just did the same thing, I called rei and its costing me 15$ for them to ship it out only down side is it takes 4 weeks and my tent has pink nail polish all over the side from my wife "patching it"
  14. Steffan Brown ...

Seattle, WA
    Damn, $15!?! That's it? I ended up taking mine to Rainy Pass in Fremont. I haven't picked it up yet, but for $120, my expectations are pretty high. I'll report back what the outcome is. My damage was pretty extensive on at least 3 different panels, along with a faulty zipper. What was the damage on yours?
  15. Just.Mark Member

DuPont, WA
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I simply had a 5inch tear and 2 nickel size holes in the netting of a single pannel. easy fix.