patrick's fly shop has had it's last chance

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by lylelovett666, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lylelovett666 Active Member

seattle,wa
    Ratings: +42 / 0
    I have been treated rudely by the owner of Patrick's fly shop several times before in the past but today was the final straw.The rest of the staff seems very pleasant but the owner is a plain rude and I will no longer give them my money.I have heard quite a few stories from others about this guy's behavior and have dealt with it my self now too often and I am done.Almost every time I've been into the store while the owner is working he has treated me like some kind of street bum who wandered into his shop with the intent to shop lift.
  2. Jason Decker Active Member

Issaquah, WA
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    iagree
    definately not a suprise to me! I too had a bad experience about 2 years ago. never been back since and never regretted/missed it either.
    they are a site sponsor so this thread should not turn into a bash fest out of respect to scoones.

too many good shops that are worth every penny and the drive! and some are good site sponsors too!

creekside, orvis, puget sound fly co, the evening hatch, yakima river fly shop,kaufmans, all about the fly, waters west
    the list goes on........... heck, even Cabelas.......

:thumb:JD
  3. Don Barton Member

Seattle
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    My experience is totally different.

Jimmy LeMert has treated me well and provided excellent advice regarding fishing the salt and local rivers. His staff is excellent too. He has an excellent selection of flies.

I am sorry you had an unpleasant visit. But, I would suggest that readers of this forum give the shop a fair shake. I think it is well run
  4. Greg Price Love da little fishies

Puyallup, WA
    Ratings: +70 / 0
    Yeh, that's my experience all 3 times I've been there in the past 10 years.

It does not matter what I was wearing, suite to shorts, I have been treated the same. At least it was consistent. I wonder how he stays in business. Maybe he has an old fart elitist clientele that is faithful to him??

Pick any fly shop in or within 30 miles of downtown Seattle, all of them are light year ahead in terms of freindly customer service. It is a joy to give my $$ to the other shops. I did experience a similar attitude last winter at a downtown Bellevue fly retailer (the brother if Patiric's or maybe a cloned twin?)while looking for expensive sun glasses. Needles to say, I drove all the way down to Fed Way and purchased glasses from the great guys at Puget Sound fly company. They get the friendly, no bull way of treating customers.

Whew, it felt good to get that off my chest. I guess I have been carrying around a lot of repressed feelings towards Patrick's because of his asshole elitist attitude. Glad to see it is not just me.
  5. Josh dead in the water

NW Washington
    Ratings: +495 / 2
    Never been to Patricks, but I've always been treated right by Pacific Fly Fishers in Mill Creek and Leland at Orvis. Now, I know Orvis doesn't have exactly what a lot of people are looking in a fly shop. But Leland is such a good guy and a strong supporter of this forum that I give them a chance to take some of my money if at all possible. FWIW, Pacific Fly Fishers is a forum sponsor as well I believe.
  6. SteelieD Non Member

In a van down by the river
    I'm with you Lyle. Went once. Never went back.

Kaufmanns or Creekside (downtown) for me.
  7. Tyler Sadowski Member

Kirkland, wa
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Never been to Patrick's but my money goes to creek side in Issaquah. Love that place, Brett and the crew are always more than helpful and will almost always shoot the shit with ya. Orvis is great too, Love talking to Leland and picking his brain. I use to go to Kmans. In bellevue and chat with Bob Aid for hours when I was a teen. I can't say how much I have learned from these guys but its more than I could ever repay them. With this kind of business you gotta treat your customers right. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences, but there is many other great shops out there, go give em a try. :thumb:
  8. obiwankanobi Active Member

Ratings: +98 / 0
    I have to agree with what Lyle mentioned since I have been there twice and had the same poor customer service by the same person being mentioned on this thread. In an area where parking can be very difficult to find, I would think that exceptional customer service would be key for business sustainability.
  9. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I've definitely have told everyone I know who fly fishes about my sh*tty experiences with this shop. I'm sure word has been traveling around. I can't believe that shop is still around.
  10. DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Marine Area 9
    Ratings: +289 / 0
    It's all part of the Patrick's experience. If you're not being treated rudely then you are missing out. You can be treated well at any fly shop, but Jimmy will give it to you straight up.
  11. herl Member

the other washington
    Ha! That's funny stuff. I hear some fly guys pay extra to go to Jimmy's.

I have had similar poor customer service experiences at Patricks, and maybe one or two good experiences.. but I don't really go there for an ego boost. I go to pick up a few things I need since it is very close to my work. I get the feeling you have to be in the 'big spenders club', or maybe the 'old-timers/life-long-locals club' to get anything other than a tepid reception and reluctant service there. But I'll keep going once in awhile b/c it is there. Plus I love this site, and they are a site sponsor.
  12. hendersonbaylocal Member

Seattle WA
    Word.

Go to the Avid Angler or Puget Sound Fly Co!
  13. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    I've always had excellent service from Nathan Keen and his staff at The Avid Angler.
  14. Ben Waldschmidt Member

Ditto on that one! Seth, you need to get up there sometime!
  15. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +597 / 0
    Nathan rocks and Brita can make anyone smile (even Nathan!)
  16. Fast Action Freddie Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +8 / 0
    I'm not a Patrick's regular (at least not since moving away from that area), but I've always found Jimmy to be gracious with both info and assistance. In fact, he can even be down-right generous with both info and "deals" ... especially if you are a regular (I am not, but my friend is and Jimmy has given him incredible deals). Yes, he can have a coarse edge to him, but that hasn't affected my experience there. he's just being who he is ... even "at work" (I can't say the same for myself).

maybe i'm defending him because i was living on eastlake when i started fly fishing so that's where it all started for me. also - it's nice to think there's a place in the world for the "little guy" / neighborhodd shop. i prefer that over having my only choices be on-line ordering, Cabela's and Kauffmann's. Don't get me wrong ... I love Kauffmann's ... probably have spent more $ and received more good info there vs. anywhere else ... but I wouldn't exactly call them a neighborhood shop. Actually, the more I think about it ... I've got to tip my hat to about a half dozen guys at Kmann's who have given me a lot instruction and insight throughout the years (including guys like Bob Aid, plus others).

and I do agree with you all about Avid ... great stuff there and now that I live closer, they are becoming my neighborhood shop.
  17. Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Kailua Hawaii
    Ratings: +6 / 0
    I much rather go to see Jimmy and be talked to with no ass kissing or patronization (and be left the hell alone while I shop) than to go to the old Bellevue Kaufmann's when Worley was running it and be accosted and damn near molested by overzealous bullshit artists trying to take your last penny. Jimmy can be short but he is honest, knows his stuff and is one of the finest casting instructors on the planet. Unlike some flyshop commandos he fishes his ass off and his fly selection is full of stuff that works, not stuff that is made to catch you not fish. He has gone down to Florida representing the state of Washington and been Champion Angler 4 times in the Hawley invitational. He really is a great guy. Next time he is short or curt hand him your keys and ask him to go out to the car for you. When he asks why, tell him you have a crowbar in the front seat and you want him to go get it for you. When Jimmy asks why tell him "To pry the bug out of your ass!" :D Underneath the sometimes impatient, course outside is a gem of a guy who is really worth knowing. Jimmy is a pitbull of a friend who will stand by your side for the rest of your life. And where else can you find a flyshop owner wearing lime green Versace? NOWHERE! Love ya Jimmy!!! The Coach

And there are plenty of great shops in the Seattle area that will take you money if you can't mesh with Jimmy. Tight lines and good flyfishing.
  18. troutingham Member

Seattle,Wa
    You have to get to know Jimmy and then you will appreciate his knowledge and skills as a fly fisherman and connoisseur of the finer things in life. Gave me a great deal on a fly rod too. ;)
  19. Andrew Lawrence Active Member

Renton, WA.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    :thumb:iagree
  20. Chris Puma hates waking up early

stumptown
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Let me get this straight: I'm buying ridiculously marked up fly fishing gear and I have to suck up to the person making a profit off me. I actually have to establish a relationship with him. Sounds kinda of skewed to me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.