patrick's fly shop has had it's last chance

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by lylelovett666, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolverine

wolverine Member

I've never had a problem with him. Now if you go there on a nice sunny afternoon and he's sitting in a chair out on the side walk reading a book you may have to wait a while to hand him your money. I only get there a couple times a year as its way off the beaten track for me but if I'm around Lake Union you can bet that I'll always hunt for 10 minutes to find a parking spot big enough to park my pickup and wander in. He is what he is, and guess what; I don't suffer fools well either. Not that I'm calling anyone here a fool.

2. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Five pages of bull shit on a fly shop. Can't you all just say whether you like it or not. Not five pages of shit.

I have never been there but I wanted to now and then. My father in law used to shop there. He had one of those little green fly books put out by that shop which in turn I ended up with it but in many years of not using it it is gone.

I have only had one bad experience at a fly shop. But it's not there anymore so good by.

Jim

3. JE

JE Active Member

I remember the first time I walked into Patrick's. I had just moved from Yakima and started school at the UW. I had only been flyfishing for a couple of years and wanted to build a light rod. The stylishly dressed Jimmy curtly pointed toward a barrel of graphite sticks that were rubber banded together and mumbled something about a 389 LL blem blank without even looking up. That 3 wt is still my favorite rod.
    -JE

4. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Good, bad or ugly this is great exposure for the shop. Hell, Jimmy probably put the original poster up to it ; ) I don't know the guy, but it sounds like he would probably welcome this sort of banter. I'm intrigued enough to consider stopping in there just to get a sample of his lovin' myself.

5. sportsman

sportsman Active Member

Say or think what you want, but he makes up an absolute killer fly for Pinks in the salt..go up to Picnic Point and the guys using his pattern outfish everyone!

6. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    well, you shouldnt have to be a local or an expert to get great service in a fly shop, no matter who the f you are.
    my experience at patricks as a young fellow with my dad was very negative, same as it was out at k-mans. the fellow who used to run the bellevue orvis, rob, taught me more of tying and fishing than anyone else. he moved to a higher rank, left bellevue, and somehow i ended up in creekside. between pete, brett, and keith, you will not find a deeper knowledge base. pete knows more about montana than just about anybody outside of the state, and a more knowledgeable tyer than brett you will not find. and keith just knows whatsup.
    Creekside is the shit, beginner or expert, expect top notch service although you may have to wait in line a bit until you are helped because of the amount of anglers in to gain some knowledge. Part of being a fly shop is being part of the industry and selling gear, otherwise you go out of business. simple as that, hanging out and shootin the shit isnt possible otherwise.

7. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    It's just another shop !! That Jimmy guy won't let me into the shop. I destroyed him in a casting competition a few years and he never got over it !!!

8. Tyler Watters

Tyler Watters Stickin' pigs.

Same story here folks. I went in there about 2 weeks after I moved here and had a handful of items I was going to purchase and just asked a couple questions. Well apparently that wasn't in his job description. He shrugged me off like a fly on his shoulder. I don't have any tolerance for that. I gingerly put down all of the things I had in my hands and walked out. I will second the push for Puget Sound Fly Co and also Gig Harbor Fly Shop. Clark and Anil, and Blake are more than willing to offer advice and also have a good selection in their shops. Thank God not all fly shops are that way.

9. Bill Dodd

Bill Dodd Bill's in a time out.

Media:
    :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

10. Marty Leith

Marty Leith Member

I've had poor treatment from alot of shops and I'll agree with Les and Coach that Jimmy wears it on his sleeve. I will also say that I learned more hanging around Jimmy, Les, Bob Y, John F, Leland, Duffer, Mark S, and a number of others either working the counter or buying materials at Patricks than anywhere else in my fishing carreer. Jimmy is a good friend and knows his shit when it comes to fishing in Washington or any salt water for that matter. I dig Patrick's and Jimmy. I also dig the crew at Orvis, Avid and All About. Bottom line for me is shop where you want and where ever is convenient. I don't have the luxury of driving an hour if I didn't get a foot rub the last time I bought a dozen flies. I for one will keep going to Patrick's when I can because real information minus the stroke is better than the alternative as far as I'm concerned.

11. P.Dieter

P.Dieter Just Another Bubba

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'm in the camp of liking Jimmy and Patricks very much. I'm not a regular or big spender anywhere but when I go to Patricks I get the flyshop experience of my youth...hanging out at Moon's in Boise. Love the place and find Jimmy to be helpful and engaging. Place suits me just fine.

12. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

Just an observation, but it seems like everyone who likes Patrick's is probably 40+ yrs. old maybe older ( not saying old is bad, remember this is just an observation ) Possibly, this Jimmy simply cannot bridge the age gap or vise versa. Maybe he sees all these young punks coming in thinking they know everything, or he just assumes that they think like that. My grandpa still owns a power equipment store back in the midwest. He's 78, and comes off bitter, but older customers get along great with him. Just an idea that came to me.

I think everyone just needs to get out and fish more.

13. Steve Rohrbach

Steve Rohrbach Puget Sound Fly Fisher

Media:
    I am a regular customer of every fly shop in the Greater Seattle area. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. I am a regular customer of Patrick's and am pleased to call Jimmy my friend. He is an outstanding angler. He knows more about fly tying than most. For years he has patiently sat down at the vise and showed me how to tie a specific pattern. He has been very thoughtful at times finding me a specific material and doing work to help resolve a problem. I have also been in the shop when Jimmy is quiet.
    I wish I knew more of you that never have a bad day.

14. EasyE

EasyE Member

Can't believe I just spent 20 minutes reading this thread. I've never been to Patrick's but it sounds like a unique experience. The guy must have something going for him if he continues to survive in this economy. Personally I like to give my business to Avid Angler. The whole crew there is top notch.

15. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 Active Member

Nobody is asking for "the stroke".It's a matter of being respectful to some one who has made a choice to spend hard earned money in your store.When jimbo acts that way toward his customers it is purely a lack of respect.He may know a lot about fly fishing but so do the guys at all the other fly shops I've visited and and their advice comes without a condescending,sour attitude.It's about respect.

16. Ben Waldschmidt

Ben Waldschmidt Member

...maybe Jimmy saw your avatar?!?!?!

It's kinda hard to respect Clown meat! :D

17. Trent

Trent Ugly member

I read this and to me it sounded like you were being the rude one man. The guy told you what you wanted to know, he pointed you to wear said object was. Him telling you "to buy those", was not rude, he was just stating the a fact. You left, the guy probably remembered that he did indeed have a pair, ran got got them and even ran out after you (that's good costumer service in my book) and you just snubbed him over a percieved wrong. Have you ever forgotten something? Has anyone ever walked up to you and asked a question and you just told them "strait" what they wanted to know? Sorry man, but in my opinion you were the rude one in that story:beathead:

Ben W:
    I'm younger than 30 years old, I just don't have over sensitive feelings.

18. Gapnesh

Gapnesh New Member

Lyle,
    Get over your hard-on.
    It's a great shop.
    Product, instruction, support.
    I've never caught more fish.

19. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Media:
    Lyle, your right on point. His lame attitude is not where people spend their money, just check this thread. I have never been back since and won't.
    ~As I am, you mentioned you have never been in the shop so you are guessing. Period. Next time, take you hard earned money (if you have a job) and go in to the shop and see what you think, then comment.

~Gapnesh, nice of you make a profile just to chime in, Mr. 1 post. I'm sure your advice will be heeded?

20. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Mt 2 cents...

Maybe this guy is just cankerous. Seriously, I've met many people in my life that are just plain grouchy and rough around the edges, but don't mean any harm and aren't consciously being rude--it’s a personality thing. Once you get to know them they are very soft hearted and are loyal friends. Or..... he's just a miserable SOB.

Unfortunately, this is not the economy (especially in the fly shop business) for a customer to go through the paces to figure this out. Come on now!

Bottom line..... That’s just poor business, whether it be viewed as eccentrically cool or rustically edgy.:eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.