patrick's fly shop has had it's last chance

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by lylelovett666, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. colton rogers

colton rogers wishin' i was fishin'

ouch, i have never been there but that sounds harsh. but it might not be, i will never try to find out.

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    iagree

If it was my business, I might consider some sort of libel lawsuit..... you ought to think before you speak even tho you might be right, some things shouldn't be spoken.

3. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

Page 7. This is never going to get read, but what the hell.

I got no opinion on Patrick's. Probably been 15 years since I've been in there. Bought a rod there. The guy who helped me treated me fine, let me cast 3 rods and recommended that I buy the cheapest of the 3 because he thought it fit my stroke best. I have no idea who that guy was. I don't get to Seattle much any more. That's why I haven't been back.

But unless you're going into a shop to get the 'Soup Nazi' experience, there's got to be a modicum of customer service. It doesn't have to be emotional hand holding. And you don't have to get your feelings hurt to come away with a bad taste. I've always felt that if a shop has what I came to buy, the guy at the counter can make correct change, and they can keep the dog from licking my kid, that's plenty. No need to spend 2 hours shooting the shit with me. It's not why they're there, it's not why I'm there.

But if I had had the same experience as the guy with the scissors, I'd take my business elsewhere too. Don't know if I'd write about it on the interenet, but I'd vote with my feet. Simple scenario. Guy goes in looking for a particular item, doesn't see it so he askes about it. Minimum customer service would include a brief apology. "Sorry guy, I think that's all we got. But just a second. Let me look in the back. Hey, guess what I found..."

Maybe Jimmy has all the customers he needs already. If so, he's the only guy in retail who does. And every businessman should know that it's a lot harder to get new customers in your shop than it is to keep existing customers. So if you're pissing off even a small percentage of the folks who already walked through your door, you'd better be doing this as a hobby rather than as a business that puts food on the table.

4. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    7 pages of whining....... what's the matter? does your vajayjay really hurt that bad?

did jimmy hurt your feelings? while my experience was lame, it wasn't a slap in the face or some grave injustice.
    my biggest reason today for going to certain fly shops has more to do with the fact i live in Issaquah than any other reason.

our industry is full of odd, quirkly characters who think a good time is standing nutsack deep in the river while it's snowing outside.
    all of us are weirdos if you think about it. i bet you some guys have already gone into the shop and said "hey jimmy thats the deal"
    did you read that thread of wff.com? you might want to be a bit nicer next time buddy. maybe not.
    its not our job or right to tell people what to do or not to do. All you can do is control how you react/respond.

You can state the facts of your experience and not turn this into some personal vendetta.
    lyle, while i understand your situation, your are now so obviously over-involved with this thread.
    you made your point, but now its a reacting to reactions and getting a bit out of hand by getting too personal.
    it's obvious you don't know jimmy. i dont know jimmy. so let's just leave it at i had a bad experience and call it good.
    i bet you check this thread every 5 minutes and are now addicted to seeing who says what next.

here is an idea: go down to creekside or kaufmans, blow a hundred, then post a pic of your reciept. show us you've moved on. you'll feel better

Chris is right, we're a small community and eventually, we all bump into each other on the river or at the shop. it would be nice to know who you really are
    and that you're sincere. hey, i understand your experience but it's how you deal with it from this point on that speaks louder about you then what jimmy did or didn't do.

it would suck for all of us if the shop folded, even if we don't go there ourselves.
    the fly community needs to look out for each other.

the original posts were ok, as they were sincere and simple.
    but now this is just turning into a soap opera, the days of our bored-ass not out fishing lives........

FYI - It is actually against "the rules" to "attack someone personally", that would especially include a site sponsor
    don't get yourself banned over something so stupid. some of you need to lay off the name calling and character asassination
    this is thread in my opinion is now very disrespectful/self depreciating to wff.com as we should show some respect to our sponsors who make this site possible.

QUOTE: "When at odds, debating the idea is perfectly appropriate but attacking the member is not"
    http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php?t=26321

maybe some of us don't have the big brass balls to tell someone off to their face like coach does, but either way....to each his own.....

every possible point has been made, yes there does seem to be a pattern, and the dots can be connected.
    this has turned into some debate and we all know what each of us thinks.

it shows some credit to the fact that some guys who we all respect have gone to bat for jimmy, which gives him some credibility IMHO.
    it doesn't make it ok, but just gives some understanding and background some of us are lacking. its easy to get offended and take things the wrong way.
    unless Jimmy wants to chime in, there is nothing left for any of us ad to this thread.

i think it's time to put this dead dog of a thread out of its misery.
    time to move on and go fishing guys!

JD

5. Dustin Bise

Dustin Bise Active Member

Media:
    i have never been to this shop but after reading this thread all the way through this is the post that speaks to me. I plan to stop by patricks if im in the area and see what its all about myself someday. i guess i wont expect coffee and conversation. Thats OK there are other shops out there that are great for that.

6. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    I went into Patrick's today to pick up some hooks and the place was packed. The shop seems to have suddenly achieved cult status like the Soup Nazi. Well done.

7. Matt Smith

Matt Smith On the river Noyb

Media:
    Decker has said it.

Let's shut up and fish.

Nuff Said on this one

8. agsalmon

agsalmon Member

Hat's off to Chris for keeping this thread alive, even though it's about a site sponsor. I lived on Eastlake (mid 90's) and was planning a trip to Belize. He told me about Turneffe Island. I made the travel plans and went in to drop a load of money for my trip. When I told him I was going, he verbally undressed me for not booking my trip through him. I left and spent my money elsewhere and never returned. When I was in Belize, I told the owners my story and they explained that they weren't suprised and that Jimmy wouldn't have gotten a cut of the money anyway. I thought I might have cheated Jimmy out of some money, but then I realized he was just an elitist A-Hole.

For years I've wondered if it was just me, and now I'm relieved to know so many others were treated like crap. It's too bad he's so loaded he doesn't care about treating customers well. He's a legend in his own mind, and it's too bad his interpersonal skills are a minute fraction of his fishing skills. It's unfortunate he'll be better remebered as a JERK rather than for all his trophies and records.

Les Johnson, for example, is proof that you can be both one hell of a legendary fisherman AND one hell of a nice guy.

9. kosel80

kosel80 Native Trout Fan

Media:
    This thread makes me glad I am not in retail anymore! I personally dig going to a shop where the owner is a grouchy old fart, but knows his shit. I dont want to be sold anything unless I ask about it,so I hate "add ons" and "upgrades". Several people were pissed that they didnt get "respect" going into this shop. That used to piss me off so much when I worked retail, respect is what you earn not something you buy. If this dude isn't a sell out then more power to him, that's part of what it takes to enjoy working a customer service job.Pretending you like everyone just makes you want to go home and punch a baby.:ray1: lol

10. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

Media:
    "AG SALMON" Your only interaction with Jimmy LeMert was Jimmy telling you that you should have booked the trip through him. That's fucking it. And you have walked around with a sore punani for years waiting for a chance to call him an elist asshole. So what does elitist asshole have to do with a shop owner telling you to book a trip through him? And how well do you know Les Johnson? Fish with him? Your son is his Godson? Spent time in the Corps with him in Korea? Neighbor? Talked to him at a book signing for 10 minutes? Or just ran into him at flyfishing shows where we are all in our best behavior? Just curious. Les is a gentlemen and a great guy and a fellow Recon Marine. He can be a cranky old Devildog too you know. But a couple of you are making complete and total judgement on a guy who has helped thousands of anglers and done it in a no nonsense, to the point style that a couple of you no name giving passive aggressive pussies wouldn't be able to handle in any arena, any delivery or at any time. You have driven a simple complaint thread to a complete personal attack on someone you do not know in any way. This post has gone from a couple of you being upset at how you were serviced at Patricks to now calling someone you don't know at all an elitist asshole. Safeway has great deals on tampons, run on over there and with a bottle of aspirin you can both stop the bleeding and ease the cramping, both you and "Lyle". It's okay though, usually this egg dropping stuff only happens for a few days and then both of you will be A okay until next month when it will start all over again. I'm done with this post and will be sure to hit up Patricks when I'm home next. I've never spent any time around Jimmy LeMert and not walked away a better angler, and will always appreciate his loyalty and honesty. Those are things some of us still value in retail above lying, ass kissing and patronizing. Love ya Jimmy!!!! The Coach

11. bwillroll

bwillroll Member

Nathan is the man when it comes to service. Great guy.

12. agsalmon

agsalmon Member

Birds of a feather flock together...you two can argue over who has a higher opinion of themselves.

13. Coach Duff

Media:
    3900 hits and counting. Jimmy appreciates you AGSALMON!:beer2:

14. agsalmon

agsalmon Member

Doesn't suprise me that you're still counting....You're obviously a legend in your own mind as well, and could probably qualify as an OBGYN or menstrualogist!

15. Coach Duff

Media:
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Conclusion jumping, steorytyping and judging those you don't know at all? Whoa! I just realized I was doing that myself! So instead of "assuming" you wear mini pads, I've given you the benefit of the doubt and put some of the maxis (big wings!) in your grocery bag!!! See, I'm easy to get along with...... Love The Coach Terry Duffield

16. agsalmon

agsalmon Member

I thought you were done posting, but you clearly have a menstrating fetish. I would guess you do some serious puckering for your clueless clients, so try not to act two-faced. Or do you act like your friend and belittle and degrade those clients you perceive as "not as big a fishing stud" as yourself.

The peoples opinion of Jimmy is clear, with the exception of you and one other that came to his defense. My point was that originally I took Jimmy's poor treatment of me personally, and feel better now that I know he's treated customers the same way for years. Hats off to him for his consistency.

I don't expect people to pretend like they're kind and respectful, I expect them to be geniunely kind and respectful, or get what's coming to them.

17. thestallion

thestallion Member

:DJust for chits and giggles, I am surprised Coach Duff doesn't refer to himself in the third person.

We have had a similar fly shop guy around here also. I wouldn't blab it on a website, but the dude drove a lot of people away.

18. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Time to get done with all of this cruel rhetoric. Perhaps all of us old bastards (over 40}who get the royal treatment, or maybe we are just better suited to handle a bit of back-an-forth with Jimmy when he's having a rough day. In any event, it seems to me that all of you who had the need to vent on Jimmy should be pretty well satiated by now. For those of you who know Jimmy better, or choose to overlook some of his foibles, like we prefer to have others overlook ours, I applaud you.
    Les

19. Robert Engleheart

Robert Engleheart Robert

When I was in grade school and later, high school, we had "Smokers". Guys would put on the gloves and go at it. Somewhat refereed, but "freestyle" was the order of the day. Saw a few classics at Mt. Si, I think the opponents were some tough logger's kids from Darrington. The funny thing was, I thought I was pretty good, so I invested some time at the Portland Boy's Club, my folks had retired and moved to the "inner city". I got my clock cleaned by some kid who was a lot angrier than I was. He turned out to be one hell of nice guy................
    Can we give it up, already? Has everything been said?

20. elvisbugger

elvisbugger New Member

I'm by no means a big spender but last year I splurged bought an 8 wt setup from Jimmy and later that year he sent me an invitation to a killer salmon bbq in his store (cigars, scotch, wine...missed it but wish I hadn't). Just recently I splurged again and bought a 3 wt setup from Patricks for catching dumb stocker rainbows planted in Seattle city lakes (couldn't really afford it but he gave me a killer deal that was impossible to pass on). Later that same day, armed with my 3 wt, I wound up catching a 19" brown trout out of a lake right smack in the city. The following day I returned to Patricks and showed Jimmy a picture of the fish and he freaked out and insisted that the picture go up on his wall. These are the types of things small fly shops can do for the little guy (me) that can make you feel like you are part of the fishing community. If you want to know which lake I caught the fish out of go in and visit Patricks, its written on the picture. I've got nothing but good things to say about Jimmy.

PS - 3 wts rock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.