Patterns for silvers?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by andrew, Oct 18, 2002.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Was out on the South Fork of the nooksack a few silvers starting to come in, however, I can't seem to get them to chase anything! I have thrown egg patterns, shrip patterns, NOTHING! What gives? Any hints, suggestions? Is it me...or are silvers one type of salmon that don't "play" well with fishermen? :DUNNO

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sorry, I have been looking for a fly that works for silvers for years now. When you find a pattern that works on silvers once they are in the river, patent it. You will make millions.

3. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

jb/1275
    Hi Andrew, I've been flyfishing for silvers in washington now for years and have had some good success w/ anything w/ an orange marabou body and plenty of orange crystal flash, weighted medium, and fished on sink tip. Bead-chain eyes can be added, to flip the fly hook upside down so it doesn't catch the bottom as much. Hope this helps.

4. andrew

andrew Active Member

Media:
    Funny you should say orange with bar bell eyes! Tied a pattern called a "comet", red deer hair, flat gold tinsel body, red hackle with chain link eyes, gave that a try had "something" on (salmon, but don't know if it was a King or Silver)for about five minutes all I know is that is was more lively and more silver than the ol' king I rumbled with earlier! I don't know maybe that was the ticket for silvers, don't know because I didn't land the fish and he took off with my only version of the comet (not very polite!)!

5. crockett

crockett New Member

Media:
    If they are on the bite, they should chase a Purple Peril. It has worked well for me in the past.

-Crock