Patterns for silvers?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by andrew, Oct 18, 2002.

1. andrew

andrew Active Member

Was out on the South Fork of the nooksack a few silvers starting to come in, however, I can't seem to get them to chase anything! I have thrown egg patterns, shrip patterns, NOTHING! What gives? Any hints, suggestions? Is it me...or are silvers one type of salmon that don't "play" well with fishermen? :DUNNO

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Sorry, I have been looking for a fly that works for silvers for years now. When you find a pattern that works on silvers once they are in the river, patent it. You will make millions.

3. Jon Brengan

Jon Brengan flyfishing addict

jb/1275
    Hi Andrew, I've been flyfishing for silvers in washington now for years and have had some good success w/ anything w/ an orange marabou body and plenty of orange crystal flash, weighted medium, and fished on sink tip. Bead-chain eyes can be added, to flip the fly hook upside down so it doesn't catch the bottom as much. Hope this helps.

4. andrew

andrew Active Member

Funny you should say orange with bar bell eyes! Tied a pattern called a "comet", red deer hair, flat gold tinsel body, red hackle with chain link eyes, gave that a try had "something" on (salmon, but don't know if it was a King or Silver)for about five minutes all I know is that is was more lively and more silver than the ol' king I rumbled with earlier! I don't know maybe that was the ticket for silvers, don't know because I didn't land the fish and he took off with my only version of the comet (not very polite!)!

5. crockett

crockett New Member

If they are on the bite, they should chase a Purple Peril. It has worked well for me in the past.

-Crock