Patterns that look good on long pauses or on the initial fall.

Discussion in 'Warm Water Species' started by Kcahill, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

So far in my floundering around the lake I have found a couple of patterns that look really good on long pauses and seem to have almost a natural stunned or crippled look. They are bucktail streamers and bunny leaches(and so far the fish agree).

Are there any other patterns that have a natural "stunned and sinking" presentation that can be used around thick structure or in holes in lily pads(im talking about no retrieve basically just fish the sink then move on due to structure)?

Some other things I have tried with limited success are:

Synthetic Epoxy Head streamers
    clousers(synthetic)
    marabou leaches
    bead head buggers

Just looking to try some new stuff, I catch fish but I am sure there are always more out there to catch!

2. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

3. Lakebuzzer

Lakebuzzer I like to rip lips,,

If you want to catch some pig largies in the pads, you need to go after them with big baits.
    Here are some examples I tie when I want to use a fly rod for the largies, and the results.
    Otherwise in the summertime I am fishing the slop with a frog and 65lb braid.
    Fly fishing cannot keep up with conventional tackle for the largies.

4. Kcahill

Kcahill Active Member

That is a pig for sure in your last pic, the lake I fish the big bass are like 4 lbs(guys say they have caught 7 lbers but I am highly doubting it) so the flys I fish are a little toned down from those. I will take some pics tomorrow. I have fished bass in texas though and caught some that big it was a lot of fun, up here I guess I just do it for the amusement when the trout in the lake wont take a dry(I dont really like nymphing stillwater).

Heres another question for you though, tonight the bass were hammering something right in the weeds. I looked everywhere and couldnt find what they were eating by going through the weeds. I tried hoppers, frogs, ants, beetles, and damsel flys with no luck.

Any idea what bass would hammer at the shoreline in waist high weeds that you cant see when you go over to look?

5. Switch MT

Switch MT New Member

Thought I would share one of mine. I have not fished it yet but it has been tested in the sink. This thing has so much movement. They are big but I tied them to go target tiger musky.

View attachment 43526

View attachment 43527

6. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    bunny hair and lead eyes

7. Top in my class

Top in my class Member

Media:
    what size hook to you guys usually use for largemouth bass?

8. lake and stream

lake and stream New Member

i usually use a size 8 for leeches and size 2 octopus hooks for sreames and such

9. Brad Niemeyer

Brad Niemeyer Old School Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    I've had some success with worm type flies, big long leeches and crayfish patterns. Suspended streamers have not produced for me. Poppers and wigglers are fun to fish but I have not interested any really big bass with those.

One strategy might be to try a popper or hairbug with a leech as a dropper. A popper/dropper rig would "suspend" at the level you want and the popper would serve as a strike indicator. Casting that rig might be a trick though....:hmmm: