pay lakes as a gift

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by trouthole, Jan 8, 2002.

1. trouthole

trouthole Guest

gents,
    i'm looking to treat a buddy to a day on a pay lake for his b-day. anyone care to relate any experiences (good and bad.) was the fishing "worth" it?

please, do dish the dirt and name names.

--trouthole

2. rockfish

rockfish Member

went to a U-fish trout lake for kids using a bitch creek and caught 2 over 4 lbs with every fish in the 2-3lb range. old japanese guy owns it and cant see you all the time and I would just release em. but he caught on after a few trips and said I could no longer use a fly rod. this was when I was 16. its in port orchard off minterbrook rd. went to trophy lake. caught some fish but its not stocked that often I think cause should have got more. but the u catch trout pond is definately a expierance to look into. if want directions to both send private messge. theres one in belfair but its fished more often and more keen on whats going on. tight lines Ben :THUMBSUP

P.S. trophy lake is not worth it. cost as much as a guided trip for a day of fishing, seen a magazine to a month a go or something about pay lakes. fishing hole I think

3. Chris Scoones

Chris Scoones Administrator Staff Member

Media:
    Have you read Ray's article on [link:www.washingtonflyfishing.com/columns/paying_for_it.htm|Paying for it]?

4. Jim Jenkins

Jim Jenkins New Member

Hey we went to a place up on Camano Is. about 4-5 years ago that was a blast, at least for me! I skunked the 2 guys I went with which were/are die hard fly types and I was barely getting started in fly fishing at the time. We only did the 4 hours for $50 each. I wouldn't want to do every weekend but once in awhile would be OK. Anyway I caught serveral very nice fish a couple in the 4-5 lb range and one around 7. You have one main, larger lake and 2 smaller ones that you fish in, your choice, there all very close together. The owner says that in the back lake, smallest of the 3, has a 18-20 lb'er. He buys these fish from a trophy fish farm and only allows people in a couple days a week, so the fish don't get over stressed, so you will need a reservation to go there. If you find that your interested I will come up with a name/phone # for you. I have a funny story about that trip. As you know these fish have been hand fed most of their life, given that here's what happened. Two of us went to fish the back lake, we're floating there in the middle and I break out 2 nice AF cigars, I clip the end off one and hand it to my pal, then clip the end off mine and toss'm in in the water We both light up and sit there enjoying the moment when WHAM!!! A BIG fish comes up to the surface, not 5 feet from us. WOW, kinda shocking, then less than a minute later, WHAM again just a few feet away, another HUGE fish comes up. WOW kinda takes your breath away, they made like a little whirl-pool they were so big! haha We figured out what was happening, these fish hit the two cigar plug ends we throw in the water, I guess they looked like the dog chow they were used to eatting. Moral of the story take some of those dog chow looking flies and floating line and toss it out there and just let it sit, you just might catch that 18-20 lb'er!!!
    One of my fly fishing friends is looking into a place in E. Wa. that is a ranch with serveral lakes and streams that is also a pay to fish but don't have much info on it yet, report to follow if we go.
    Jim

5. o mykiss

o mykiss Active Member

There was a very informative article on Washington pay lakes in the last issue of Northwest Flyfishing magazine by Ramon Vanden Brulle, who's very active with Washington Trout (note the irony). Locations, reviews, fees, contact info - all there. If you don't subscribe, you can probably find it in your favorite fly shop. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll fax or mail you a copy. (Send me an e-mail or private message from this post.)

6. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

How do I get on your buddy list?

Since there's no way to know wher you live, it's hard to tell you where would be close. I like the biggger operations that manage the fishing for put and grow, rather than the little ponds that are dotted around the state. Almost everyplace offers "good" fishing however; that is, you're likely to catch a lot of fish, and a bunch of them will be enormous.

In Eastern Washington I like Issak Ranch, Moccasin Lake, and Blackstone (of the three, Moccasin is the prettiest). Hudson Spring near Soap lake is a beautiful place, but to be honest, I think the fishing may be slightly better at the other three.

The only place I've actually fished on the west side I think is no longer there, but a flyshop in Marysville books several in Snohomish County, and the shop in Paulsbo books a place on a golf course that charges by the hour. I don't know exactly what to say about that, but apparently the fish are gigantic, and you get to ride a golf cart.

PS: Ramon used to be my editor when he was at NW Fishing Holes. Any irony notwithstanding, I know he tries to be honest and ethical in everything he writes, whether it's about conservation or fishing. There is a lot of info in the NFF article.

7. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

I fished a couple of Snohomish pay lakes last spring, $100 $ $150. My first times at pay lakes. We caught some nice fish. I didn't particularly like the location of one, an old gravel pit. I fish as much for scenery as for the fish.
    I won't being going back this year. I'd much rather pick up a new rod, reel or a good bottle of scotch.
    You might check out Cady Lake Manor bed & breakfast. You can stay at Larry's place fish, relax and enjoy. There is also a public access to this lake, which Larry maintains, and some nice fish - up to 32".
    The Yak would be worth a guided float.
    As for me, I would prefer to work a little to catch fish, size & quantity is not all that important.
    BTW - My B-day is 7/6....

8. chief

chief Active Member

My family owns Moccasin Lake, and I was the one who set up the fishing program there. The goal we set out with was to develop a “total quality experience” for the anglers that pay for access to the lake. I guided on the lake the first year after it was turned into a fee fishery, and still fish it about 4-5 weekends a year. The lake usually provides great fishing, both in quantity and size, but, as is true with any of the pay lakes that are real lakes (and not “trout ponds”), paying your fee doesn’t guarantee success. Weather conditions, insect hatches, angler skill, and willingness to change tactics all contribute to the day’s outcome. We provide a guide to help shorten the learning curve ie/ hatches, techniques, productive areas, and most days everyone does really well. There are people that don’t end up catching as many fish as they think they should have and leave disappointed. What do you say to a guy who only caught a couple fish when the other guys in his party all caught over 25?

I guess my point is, yes, a day at a pay lake is a wonderful gift to share with a fishing buddy. Having a 30 acre lake all to yourselves for the day is a pretty special experience. The fact that it is filled with big fish, some over 10 pounds, is even better. The good pay lakes are managed to maximize your chances for success, but, keep in mind that it’s still fishing. Would you really feel satisfied if it weren’t?

9. Scott Salzer

Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Chief:

I didn't mean to down play pay lakes in general, I was relating my (limited) experience. I have heard very good things about Issak, Moccasin & Blackstone. You also bring up a good point about the possibility of being alone on a great body of water. Based on the above comments, if I choose another pay lake, it will be Moccasin. I figure that if a guide shows me the right set up and how to fish it, it's up to me the actually catch the fish. I know that guides get disappointed when their client does not feel the caught as many as they should have or the fish weren't big enough - but the guide can only do show much, which is generally the best they can.

My apologies for any misunderstanding.

10. chief

chief Active Member

Micro Brew, no misunderstanding here, Everyone is entitled to voice their opinion, and I think you made some good points before.....pay lakes aren't for everybody, some feel pretty artificial, and there are lots of other things people can spend there money on that they might enjoy more. I didn't mean for it to seem I was directing my comments at you specifically. I was just trying to make a general observation that pay lakes are usually pretty easy, but, as in all fishing, showing up doesn't guarantee you'll be successful. In my opinion if a person is paying to fish they should go for the total experience - scenery, seclusion, companionship, wildlife viewing, learning new techniques, and a chance for great fishing.

Let me know if you ever decide to give our lake a try.....I'll send you some of my favorite flies.

11. ray helaers

ray helaers New Member

It's definitely true that a lot of these places are not going to be the prettiest place you ever saw. If it matters to you, make sure you ask when you book the place. You may not notice, of course, once the seven pounders start towing you around in your float tube. Of the places I've been, Hudson Spring is gorgeous, and Moccasin is beautiful too. Issaks has been criticised, but while it's no Chopaka, it's really not that bad, especially the lower lake (the upper lake does have these big power lines over it). and the fishing might be the best of all of them.

A place called Twin Sisters outside Sedro Woolly is supposed to be spectacular; it's booked out of the Morning Hatch in Tacoma.

12. fly15

fly15 New Member

My family and i stay at alta lake in the summer for 3 to 5
    days each year and i was wondering how much it would cost to fish moccasin lake with a guide.Could you fish it with out a guide for a cheaper price or is a guide manditory.What is the average size of the trout in the lake and what species
    inhabit the lake.THANKS. :DUNNO

13. chief

chief Active Member

fly15, The average size of the fish in Moccasin is probably 18"-20" with quite a few larger fish present. The BIG fish are over 30" and over 10lbs. Species are Rainbows- Kamloops strain and Triploids, and German Browns. I think the rate is $155/day and includes one shared guide. I don't know if they have a half day rate. The operation has changed a little since I was involved. Your best bet is to call Sun Mountain Lodge (the Ranch's booking agent-509-996-4735) and ask them for the details.