Pebble Mine - EPA Draft Watershed Assessment Public Comments

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Southsound, May 27, 2013.

1. Southsound

Southsound Steve Cole - Nisqually and Adjacent Environs

Now is the time to weigh in on the EPA's Draft Watershed Assessment for the proposed Pebble Mine project in Bristol Bay, Alaska. If you are like me, you probably are not a big fan of this mega-development smack in the heart of the largest red salmon nursery in the world. Anyway, I encourage you to read the EPA draft Assessment and submit comments if you are so moved. The comment period closes in 5 days.

Here is a link to the Trout Unlimited website for submitting comments:

http://takeaction.tu.org/tu/issues/alert/?alertid=62644781

Just an observation - about the only way this thing will be halted is by some sort of Federal action. If it were just up to State of Alaska and their Department of Natural Resources, the mine would already be approved. Mining regulation in Alaska is on par with most underdeveloped countries in Africa and elsewhere... it is one of easiest jurisdictions in the world for gaining approval of, and operating mining developments. The Feds, in this instance, are the best hope for stopping the Pebble Mine project.

Thanks

Steve Cole

2. Southsound

3. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Thanks for sharing Steve.

Experience in participating in letter-writing campaigns to influence other such outcomes has made me skeptical of the effectiveness of simply sending pre-written, 'boilerplate' letters. Instead, I wrote the following:

In the myopia caused by 'gold fever', it's easy to minimize the adverse impacts of extraction when blinded by the prospect of short-term riches.

Once it's been mined, the gold will indeed be gone. Unfortunately, so too may well be the abundant fish and wildlife whose continued existence and abundance those Alaskans who will remain after the miners depart depend upon for their livelihoods.

I urge you to remain skeptical of claims that seek to reassure us that salmon 'will come back' and that any harm that may befall them as a result of the mine will only be temporary. History is littered with the unfortunate results of many such false assurances.​

K

4. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

Done.

Thank you for making it easy for all of us here to weigh in.
    I'm hoping everyone takes this opportunity now, as time is running out.

5. Southsound

BTT... -4 days for comment remain. Best git to it!

Thanks

Steve Cole

6. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Definitely...they need to be inundated with letters and e-mails.

7. Southsound

This is an important nexus in this process and EPA needs those comments, folks - 3 days left to submit and it only takes a couple of minutes.

Thanks

Steve Cole

8. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

Bump. Sign it.

9. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Get on this.

10. Brady Burmeister

11. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I borrowed some of Mr. Lufkin's text and added some of mine. Hope you don't mind Kent.

Kent Lufkin likes this.
  12. Southsound

Less than 48 hours remaining in the comment period... please take a couple of minutes to submit yours.

Thanks

Steve Cole

13. Tony Polizzi

Tony Polizzi Active Member

Thanks, Git'r Done

14. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong Active Member

...bump
    If you care about wild places, and wild fish do this.
    It'll only take a minute... and we're running out of time...

15. Steve Vaughn

Steve Vaughn Member

16. Southsound

Last day for comments folks..

Steve Cole

17. Brady Burmeister

18. Nathan B

Nathan B Love em and Leave em

Done and Bump

19. Southsound

As mentioned above, the EPA has extended the comment period on the Draft Bristol Bay Watershed Assessment for the Pebble Mine project for another 30 days to the end of June. Though it does delay the process a bit, it will allow for more comments to be collected, including yours if you had not had the opportunity yet to read the documents and contribute your views. With this extension, we have a chance to beat the drum a bit more (which I will be doing :))... more later.

Thanks

Steve Cole