peninsula weather question

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Andy D, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Andy D

Andy D Active Member

Media:
    I had planned on fishing out on the peninsula the 17th through the 19th, and I was looking for some insight on how the heavy rains expected over the next few days will effect the conditions out there. Every other time I have been out there I have had decent weather leading up to my trip. I am wondering if the rivers will be blown out or dropping back into shape by then?

Thanks
    Andy D

2. Kyle Escamilla

Kyle Escamilla Active Member

http://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi

I am new to reading the weather charts to gauge flows but to me it appears they will be high when you get there and could possibly be dropping into shape by the 17th. I am basing that off of the precipitation, freezing levels, and temperature. Hopefully somebody that is more experienced will chime in and tell me if I'm somewhat right. I myself will be heading there either way to learn the area a little better and find more fishing locations.

3. Jim B

Jim B Flyfishin' and homebrewin'....priorities ?

4. Mossyback

Mossyback New Member

4-7" of rain forecasted this week in the Olympics and snow level going up to 6000'. Might be a good weekend to stay home and tie.

5. Mossyback

Mossyback New Member

Here they go...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Befishin

Befishin Member

texasweaver likes this.
  7. Andy D

Andy D Active Member

Media:
    Yeah I noticed that. I was just hopping that with the heavy rains stopping early thursday and with the potential drop in temp that the rivers might drop into fishable shape by sunday afternoon.

8. Andy D

Andy D Active Member

Media:
  9. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    Most of this will depend upon the intensity of the following cold front, how soon and how cold, and how low the freezing altitude levels are. But the way it is going right now I have serious doubts as to fishing this weekend. It would take an astonishingly sudden and deep cold front to bail it out here. And this has happened before. The Sold Duc river could become the only game in town then. And the problem with that is that there are already too many people fishing here now. That will not be a pleasant situation. Looking forward it is more likely that early to middle of next week will create better conditions all around our rivers here. See the related Sol Duc topic today for some good forecasting and river reading tools. http://olympicpeninsulaflyfishing.blogspot.com

10. Kyle Escamilla

I was afraid of that. Unfortunately for my cousin and myself we have already made the commitment to go so its happening either way for us.

11. Mossyback

Mossyback New Member

I am also comitted to a trip out there this weekend, so it is disappointing to see this much precip and warmth headed our way from Hawaii. I'll have the wife with me. Instead of just having her shuttle me while I fish (yeah she's pretty awesome as wives go), the two of us are going to take the opportunity to do some hiking and exploring. The OP is a special place to me for many reasons, and fishing is just part of the experience.

Kyle Escamilla likes this.
  12. Shad

Shad Active Member

My guess is that the Sol Duc (at least upper) will be in decent gear fishing shape Sunday, with Monday being better for fly fishing, the Calawah and Bogey might be good by Monday, and the Queets and Hoh will be out til' at least mid-week. How's that for some half-assed guessing?

I'm seeing a lot of suggestions to write this weekend off, so a brave, optimistic soul might find some solitude, which gives you a much better chance, especially if you are bank fishing, if conditions are even marginal....

Sounds like you're committed, so good luck!

13. Kyle Escamilla

Thanks for the advice. Will check out the upper Sol Duc and see how she looks.

14. Andy D

Andy D Active Member

Media:
    Thanks to everyone for the advice