perfect 12' sled/pram/skiff

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by surfnfish, Oct 23, 2012.

1. surfnfish Member

Salem, Oregon
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    check the yellow/white 12' in this ad for boat molds...would buy one in an instant if reasonably priced, has tidewater salmon/cutthroat fly fishing skiff stamped all over it.
    Already pinged the seller, he's not interested in making boats, just offloading the molds.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/3283938048.html
  2. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Dang! No longer there to view. Link now says the posting has expired.

I have been searching for the "perfect" small skiff design for going solo, but one that can still comfortable handle a second angler. the search goes on.

For a stictly solo craft, I'm also thinking of powering up one of those plastic yaks that is designed with a motor mount. For example, one design that I am looking at is the Santa Cruz "Raptor" yak. They make a sit-inside model (62 lbs) and a SOT (60 lbs) that aren't too heavy for one person to easily handle. If $$ was no object, one might be able to install one of the newer Torqueedo electric motors on the back of those things and really fly!
    I like the 12' length in the plastic boats.

Another one I have been looking at for using as an electric boat is the Nucanoe Frontier (not the original Nucanoe, but the later, much improved model that self-drains thru scuppers, called the "Frontier"). However that boat is pretty heavy for a 12'er, at 77 lbs.
  3. Frank R Member

Dearborn, Michigan
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    I love my NuCanoe Frontier. Even a small 17 lb electric motor moves it over flat water. A newer 55 lb. motor would make it really scoot.

I plan on hooking up my Honda 2 hp next spring with remote steering and throttle control. I need this to go upstream for long distances on my favorite local river.
  4. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    Frank, howz that thing's stability, for standing and casting from? Also, can you comfortably stand in it and operate the motor from just behind amidship, using an extension handle?
    I used to cruise in my electric canoe while standing, with my fly rod in hand. Ready to cast, if not already trolling.

You are going to fly with a 2 hp! I've got a Minnkota Riptide 50.