perfect 12' sled/pram/skiff

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by surfnfish, Oct 23, 2012.

1. surfnfish

surfnfish Member

check the yellow/white 12' in this ad for boat molds...would buy one in an instant if reasonably priced, has tidewater salmon/cutthroat fly fishing skiff stamped all over it.
    Already pinged the seller, he's not interested in making boats, just offloading the molds.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/3283938048.html

2. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Dang! No longer there to view. Link now says the posting has expired.

I have been searching for the "perfect" small skiff design for going solo, but one that can still comfortable handle a second angler. the search goes on.

For a stictly solo craft, I'm also thinking of powering up one of those plastic yaks that is designed with a motor mount. For example, one design that I am looking at is the Santa Cruz "Raptor" yak. They make a sit-inside model (62 lbs) and a SOT (60 lbs) that aren't too heavy for one person to easily handle. If $$ was no object, one might be able to install one of the newer Torqueedo electric motors on the back of those things and really fly!
    I like the 12' length in the plastic boats.

Another one I have been looking at for using as an electric boat is the Nucanoe Frontier (not the original Nucanoe, but the later, much improved model that self-drains thru scuppers, called the "Frontier"). However that boat is pretty heavy for a 12'er, at 77 lbs.

3. Frank R

Frank R Member

I love my NuCanoe Frontier. Even a small 17 lb electric motor moves it over flat water. A newer 55 lb. motor would make it really scoot.

I plan on hooking up my Honda 2 hp next spring with remote steering and throttle control. I need this to go upstream for long distances on my favorite local river.

4. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Frank, howz that thing's stability, for standing and casting from? Also, can you comfortably stand in it and operate the motor from just behind amidship, using an extension handle?
    I used to cruise in my electric canoe while standing, with my fly rod in hand. Ready to cast, if not already trolling.

You are going to fly with a 2 hp! I've got a Minnkota Riptide 50.