Perma gloss???

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Joshua A. Sklaroff, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Has anyone used this(Perma Gloss) or that other no mix Gudebrod wrap finish? I am curious to see if there is an easier, but just as effective, way to finish my wraps other than using the 2 part mixes.
    Thanks!
    Joshua

2. Tom Bowden

Tom Bowden Active Member

Media:
    Joshua,

Try 3-4 coats of spar urethane varnish like Helmsman. This produces a hard, durable coating. You can use color preserver, but the varnish won't soak into the thread as well. Some rod makers thin the varnish for the first coat or two to ensure penetration.

Tom

3. kenai

kenai New Member

josh, i build a lot of rods and have found the gudebrod to be the best and have
    tried them all. i'd give flex-coat 2nd place. fisheye

4. Does it harden soon after you open it since it has a built in catalyst? If so, can you keep it in a syringe?
    Thanks!
    Joshua

5. Wayne Kohan

Wayne Kohan fish-ician

Media:
    I just used the Perma gloss on my last rod, a 6 1/2 foot 3-wt fiberglass rod. It took about 6 coats to cover well, though you can do the coats within an hour or two of one another. I think it looks fine on the wraps near the tip, but even after 6 coats did not cover as well over the larger wraps near the handle. Overall it's somewhat easier to use, but I don't think it looks as nice as Flexcoat 2 part epoxy. It dries in the air, so it should keep OK in a syringe if it is airtight, but will harden in a capped bottle after it's been used and there is some air in the bottle. They say to add BB's or marbles to the bottle to keep the air out.

Wayne

6. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    The problem with Gudebrod finish products is that they are wildly inconsistent. The best color preserver I've ever used was Gudebrod, and the worst I ever used was also Gudebrod.

Because of this I decided to swear off of them as a product.

There thread is still the nuts though, and I don't plan on changing that at any time.

But with that said, the finish you use Josh will be determined by the kind of look you are trying to achieve.

If you like a thin finish with an eggshell kind of look the permagloss is a great product. It'll take a lot of coats, but overall it's *realatively* forgiving.

If you want a finish similar to what the factory rods use, then get either flex coat or duragloss. They really aren't that hard to use, and overall look great.

If you need help with using a 2 part, just PM me and I'll see what I can do to help. Also, AATF with Kristin and Ron are great resources. Both of them do excellent work with their epoxy finishes and I'm sure if you asked the would help. If you do that, be sure to buy something from them though!!!! :)

-- Cheers
    -- James

7. FT

FT Active Member

I've used Permagloss in the past and it produces a very nice finish, although as has been mentioned, it takes as many as 8 coats to get it depending on the diameter of the blank at the point you are finishing. After the bottle is opened, don't count on it lasting more than a few weeks to a month before it starts to harden and gel on you.

It is very easy to apply, and additional coats can be added after about 4 hours drying time. Also, you need to wait about 4 days after the last coat before fishing or using the rod to allow it to completely cure and harden. It is also very forgiving and a good choice for someone who has not built a rod before.

I have only used the 2-part epoxy type finishes for the last 16 years or so because I get the nice finish in two coats (the first one thinned with 4 or 5 drops of acetone to really soak the thread clear to the blank and the second coat full strength). The 2-part finishes are a little more difficult to use because they start to set up on you in 20-30 minutes and you must rotated the rod for about 8 hours to keep them from sagging. But they are very durable and produce the nice, smooth finish we are used to seeing on factory rods with minimal time. Also, a rod with 2-part finish on it can be used 24-36 hours after the last coat was put on. Be forewarned, if you don't have a 1:1 mix of resin to hardener, the 2-part finishes will never dry, they will remain tacky and the only way to cure it is to cover it with another coat of properly mixed finish (unless you want to cut the guides off and rewrap the rod). This is why Permagloss is a great choice for someone who has never built a rod before.