Personal best trout fly swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Kent Lufkin, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    It's been a while since I've hosted a swap so I thought I'd reprise a swap from 2004 that was quite popular. Here's how it works:

Up to ten participants will tie their best trout fly. In this case, 'best' can mean a pattern that you think works the best, that one you tie the best, or the pattern that you think looks the best. It can be a dry, an emerger, a nymph, or a streamer - your choice.

Since this is a trout fly swap, let's limit the patterns to freshwater, non-anadramous trout, so no flies for SRCs or steelhead please.

But there's a catch: DON'T duplicate a pattern that somebody else has already signed up to tie. If someone who committed earlier said they'll tie a wooly bugger or an Adams, then you've gotta pick another pattern. (The same pattern in a slightly different color or with a bead head doesn't qualify as 'another'!)

The swap is open to ten tyers. If we don't get ten folks signed up within a week, it'll still go on with the number of people who've signed up by then.

The due date for having your flies to me will be Wednesday, February 20, 2008, the day of the last total lunar eclipse visible in North America until late 2010.

From hosting previous swaps, I've found there's always at least one procrastinator, so please allow enough time to tie your flies and for the mail to get them to me by February 20. To keep from penalizing those who do get their flies in on time, I will divide and send back all the flies I receive by the due date.

Tie up ten or more flies, keep one out for yourself, then mail the rest (an extra two or three for the swapmeister will be appreciated!)

So that everyone knows which pattern YOU tied, please attach a toe tag to each of your flies with your name and the name of your fly. If you wish (and you can write really small!), you can also include the recipe as well. A strip of paper cut to about 3/8" x 4" with a 1/4" on one end folded back and the point of the hook stuck through the doubled paper works great.

Please avoid using little pre-cut tags with strings that you tie onto each fly. From experience, the string works loose and I end up getting a bunch of loose flies and tags that I've gotta reattach. Also, please avoid big tags. At least one person will send their flies in a little tiny fly box or Altoid tin which will make stuffing your big tag into that tiny space a challenge.

Place your flies in a crush-proof container (a cheap plastic fly box, an Altoid tin or a plastic VHS tape case all work great). Put the container in a heavy manilla clasp envelope or sturdy box along with an identical, stamped self-addressed return envelope or a stick-on label.

IMPORTANT: please include the correct return postage or a couple of bucks. I get cranky when someone just assumes that I'll pay for return postage.

Mail the whole shebang to me at:

Kent Lufkin
    16736 NE 42nd Court
    Redmond, WA 98052

I'll divide up the flies on Wednesday, February 20, 2008, after the day's mail arrives and mail 'em back out to you the following day.

Remember, you don't have to wait until then to send 'em. If everyone gets their flies in early then I can send 'em out early and the swap doesn't have to come to a screetching halt while one or two guys are frantically tying the day before the deadline.

If you've got to pull out of the swap for some unforeseen reason, PLEASE let us know by posting to this thread as soon as possible. Things change in life and it's OK if you've gotta focus on something else instead. But a little advance notice will go a long way and keep me from having to track you down the day before the deadline.

I'll add to this thread from time to time to see how we're all doing as the deadline draws closer and will send email or PMs to any laggards.

Finally, I'll take pics of each of the patterns and put 'em up in the gallery.

Otherwise, thanks for joining in the swap - I can't wait to see which patterns you think are the best trout flies.

Since I started this, I getta pick first! I'll be tying up a variation on Don Johnson's classic caddis dry, the Miracle Caddis.

K

2. rodeo11

rodeo11 Meat chucker

Media:
    I am in for this one. I think I will do my version of a beadhead pheasent tail soft hackle that has worked quite well for me. Sounds like a fun swap, I will get started on them next week for sure!

Jason

3. Stewart

Stewart Skunk Happens

I was planning on tying some chartreuse foam posted parachute adams. This is the motivation I needed. Inski.

4. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Welcome aboard guys! Here's a summary of who's tying what.

Kent Lufkin - Miracle Caddis dry

Jason (rodeo11) - BH pheasant tail soft hackle

Stewart - Chartreuse foam post parachute Adams

Marc (sourdoughs) - Black ant​

These sound like some real beauties that I'm excited to see and fish. I'll update this list as more people sign up.

K

5. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    Hey, Kent. Sounds like fun - I'd like to join. How 'bout a black ant pattern that I've had a lot of luck with?

-Marc

6. mike doughty

mike doughty Honorary Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    i'm down, i'll tie my version of a flashback beadhead haresear. this is my go to fly and it kicks all other haresear's asses

7. Christian Brewer

Christian Brewer Super Slacker

Media:
    Hey Kent I'd like to get in on this...How about a BH Prince Nymph?

I like how you're handling the swap in regards to not being able to meet the agreed upon deadline.:thumb:

Christian

8. Islander

Islander Steve

Put me on the list Kent. I will tie my all time favorite best fly that's a variation of the Carey Special, the Camo Carey. One of the best searching patterns around.

9. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    We've got seven tyers committed so far with three slots still open. Here's an updated list of who's on board.

Marc (sourdoughs) - Black ant

Mike Doughty - Flashback BH hare's ear

Christian Brewer - BH Prince nymph

Steve Mooney (Islander) - Camo Carey​

We've got room for three more tyers. Any takers?

K

10. Richard Olmstead

Richard Olmstead BigDog

Media:
    Thanks hosting this swap, Kent, and for the PM alerting me to the thread.

I'll contribute my 'flashabou softhackle'

Dick

11. steeli

steeli Member

Media:
    I'd like join this one, sounds fun. I read the list so far....for me, 'best' in this case means 'caught many, many fish with'. Someone's already got a pheasant tail and soft hackle, two of my fav's. So far, I see no one's taken a leech/bugger yet, so to keep the variety going I'd tye a forward weighted crystal black blood leech (good anytime pattern).

12. mozart

mozart Chris

Is this for the pro's only? Can a novice join?

13. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Nine tyers on board; one slot still open. Here's the latest list of who's on board.

Steve Mooney (Islander) - Camo Carey

Richard Olmstead - Flashabou soft hackle

steeli - Forward weighted crystal black blood leech​

We've still got room for one more tyer.

K[/QUOTE]

14. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Chris, fly swaps are a great way for novice tyers to hone their skills. If your experience is like my first swap was, you'll notice a distinct improvement in your technique once you're able to tie ten or twelve flies that are nearly identical.

If you're confident that you can tie a serviceable version of your own 'personal best' pattern and would like to try your hand at a dozen or so, you're certainly welcome to join. What pattern do you have in mind?

K

15. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    I'm probably the last guy on this forum to discover this feature, but if all the tyers use the 'subscribe' tool to monitor this thread, it should make getting updates a whole lot easier.

Just click on 'Thread tools' above the first post in this thread, then pull down to 'Subscribe to this thread'. Finally, select 'Instant email notification' from the Notification type drop down.

K

16. mozart

mozart Chris

Kent,

I do really well on a CDC Elk Hair Caddis. :)

17. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    Works for me Chris. Welcome aboard.

Gentlemen, our swap is officially full. Start tying!

K

18. Kent Lufkin

Media:
    We've met my initial goal of 10 tyers. Here's who's on board.

Steve Mooney (Islander) - Camo Carey

Richard Olmstead - Flashabou soft hackle

steeli - Forward weighted crystal black blood leech

Chris (mozart) - CDC elk hair caddis​

Perhaps we can each review our calendars and see if there's a chance we can all have our flies tied and ready to swap before February 20?

K

19. Sourdoughs

Sourdoughs -Marc Chapman, icthyoantagonist

Media:
    I can have my flies to you by Feb 20th. -Marc

20. rodeo11

rodeo11 Meat chucker

Media:
    Looks like a great line up of flies!! Feb 20th will not be a problem for me on the flies.