Personal best trout fly swap

Discussion in 'Fly Swaps' started by Kent Lufkin, Jan 4, 2008.

1. I finished mine yesterday. I'll post updates when I begin receiving flies in the mail.

K

2. Mine are in the mail today.

3. Got the first flies in the mail today from:

Mike Doughty
    Richard Olmstead​

Mine are finished as well, so 3 of the 10 tyers are accounted for. I'll update this list as I receive more.

K

4. Got more flies in the mail today. Including my own, here's whose flies I now have:
    Marc Chapman
    Mike Doughty
    Kent Lufkin
    Steve Mooney
    Richard Olmstead​
    Fully half of the 10 tyers are accounted for. I'll update this list as I receive more.

K

5. Got more flies in the mail yesterday. The list of completed and received participants includes:

Marc Chapman
    Mike Doughty
    Kent Lufkin
    Steve Mooney
    Richard Olmstead
    Jason Roeds​

We're up to 6 the 10 tyers now finished. I'll update this list as I receive more.

How are the rest of you doing?

K

6. I'm half way done. I've got a lot going on right now. I should be done next week.

7. Great! Thanks for the update.

K

8. I tried to get them done this week...but couldn't because of my lack of tying in the hackle mistakes last week, a long week at work, and we're going out of town to visit the in-laws this weekend. I will get the last 3 or 4 tied next week and mailed next weekend.

Well, it's off to Omaha where it's predicted to get all of the way up to a balmy 13F this weekend. I don't think even Jim could say anything on how Montana is worse than that!!! :eek:

Christian

9. I'm struggling fellas. I have six tied but I find myself trying to tie these to utmost perfection thus putting a lot of stress on me. It almost seems like work now instead of being fun. However, I should be done by the end of this weekend. I hope these are going to be good enough for your discerning tastes.

10. Mozart -
    No need for perfection. I want flies I can fish, not to hang on the wall! That said, I tied a few extras and culled the poorest looking of the bunch to save for my own use. I know the fish won't care, but I worry about what y'all will think.

Dick

11. iagree

12. Richard's exactly right: just tie a few extras and cull the worst. I did exactly the same thing as it's been some time since I tied anything, let alone dries with a stacked elk hair wing that insists on spinning around the shank!

While some flies are intended all along as an art form (ie. traditional married-wing Atlantic salmon patterns) I'm much more interested in those that catch fish.

K

13. you hit the nail on the head. i do the same. i weed out the worst and use them myself. they still catch fish but don't look quite as nice.

14. Mine are ready for the mail. Gotta ski tomorrow with my kids, and a seminar on Tuesday, but Wednesday looks great for a jaunt to the PO.

As far as the personal best thing, I tied a chartreuse post parachute Adams, and here's my take:

The Adams is one of my top dry flies, no surprise, there are plenty of others who would say this, I think. This particular fly is for bad lighting conditions such as a day with overcast sky and a breeze, and just enough filtered light on the water to drive you nuts. During these conditions, a white post on the parachute is part of the problem, and my eyes seem to like chartreuse better than yellow. I love size 16s. They seem to work well for me.

I have the same misgivings about the "worthiness" of my flies. I am really looking forward to the day I receive the return package. :thumb:

15. I like a PA as my 'go-to' dry fly, too. The flashabou softhackle I tied is one I often use as a dropper behind a parachute adams.

I think most of us who tie for purely functional reasons, rather than for show, worry about letting others see our flies. I suspect we're all in the same boat here.

Dick

16. I got mine finished tonight...They will go in the mail tomorrow or Monday morning.

So I tied 9 of them with no hackle, so then I started over and I got 6 good ones done. Then went out of town. When I got back and resumed tying last night, I tied 3 more with no hackle :mad:. I don't know what I was thinking. :beathead:

Anyways they're done and will be to you soon.

Christian

17. Mine are on the way today!! :beer1:

18. Okay. I have eleven done so far. I'll tie the last one up tonight after I get off of work and should have them in the mail tomorrow - weather permitting.

19. Kent,
    Mine are almost ready to go...Can you confirm are we on for the Feb 1 or later 20th timeline? Either way I could meet either.
    Final number of tyers was 10 right?

20. I got more flies in yesterday's mail - some gorgeous para Adams from Stewart. The updated list of flies received now includes 7 of the 10 participants:

Marc Chapman
    Mike Doughty
    Kent Lufkin
    Stewart Maxson
    Steve Mooney
    Richard Olmstead
    Jason Roeds​

Sounds like Christian's should be in the mail as I write this and that Mozart's are nearly finished. Steeli, if you could get yours done and mailed asap, the swap can close as soon as I receive them.

Thanks everybody.

K