Petitjean's Magic Tool

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ceviche, May 26, 2004.

1. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

I bought mine recently, and, after a rough start, I found it wonderful for tying size 20 flies. PMD's and BWO's are now do-able. Tie in tail, dub on body, make dubbing brush with CDC, wind on brush, whip-finish the head, and trim down the CDC to get the right profile.

I tried float-testing my duns and emergers by throwing them into a bowl of water. They all did well until finally intentially sunk.

Anyone else working on small patterns?

2. Rob Blomquist

Rob Blomquist Formerly Tight Loops

I saw it used at the NW FlyTyer's conference earlier this year, and I was amazed. I'm not that big a CDC user, well I am just getting into it. But I have been wondering about getting one, because it appears to be worth every penny.

Where did you get one local? I may visit there soon if it is local.

Rob

3. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Where, where, where? I went to three places that day, and I can't remember. It was either SportCo (unlikely), GiJoe's (possible), or Puget Sound Fly Company (most likely). Once you get the hang of the tools (trial and error), you'd be surprised.

Here's something interesting. If you have Dave Hughes' _Western Streamside Guide_, look up those Rene Harrop Hairwing Mayfly Duns. Those flies are palmered with hackle at the thorax and trimmmed underneath. This gives the impression of legs on the surface. The hairwing, naturally, creates the silhouette of the wing. When you palmer on the CDC dubbing brush and trim it underneath the fly, you get both the impression of the wing and the legs. It's kind of like a Comparadun without the hassles of the deer hair--and you get the effect of mayfly legs, too. That the tool makes tying size 20 dry flies suddenly easy is plenty enough of a selling point.

4. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Did you get the DVD or video that shows how to use the tool?

5. ceviche

ceviche Active Member

Nope. I just kind of winged it. Actually, I got help from articles in Fly Fisherman (March 2004), Fly Tyer ((Spring 2004), and Fly Fishing and Tying Journal (Spring 2004). All cover the tool as well as patterns.

6. Trevor

Trevor New Member

Has anyone tried just using a bulldog clip to try and get the same results? I haven't ever seen the "magic tool" up close and personal, but in the pictures, this doesn't look like much more than a couple of fancy clear bulldog clips.
    [​IMG]

7. Randy Diefert

Randy Diefert aka: Longears

I've tried it both ways. When youuse the buuldog clip you just can't see what you've got to lay in your dubbing loop. I also have the Marc Petitjean tools that I paid $30.00 for. The only thing that I seem to use them for is CDC dubbing and when I blen seal dubbing or rabbit in a coffee grinder; I use it for the finer material that gets trapped in the lid section of the grinder. This material is used for finer bodied flys and smaller patterns.
    When I want to see what I'm cutting I use them to. but, for a simple answer to your question bull clips would work fine useing a dubbing loop.
    hope this makes sense and helps you out :)

8. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

i think that would be a much better solution, and it doesnt cost 30bux or however much the magic tool is.

Peace,
    Andy

9. lcconrad

lcconrad New Member

I use the Magic tool and have used the bull dog clips in the past, the magic tool is a lot easier and can do much more thatn I could do with the clips. I haven't been able to make the parachute past they show in the DVD to my satification as of yet, still practicing. It does make some good looking very small flies.