Pflueger President

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Steelie Mike, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Well I was going to drop a few dollars today at Anglers Workshop on a Ross CLA #6 for a spare spey reel when Tall Fly Guy showed me this President. I never thought I would own a Pflueger either than a Medalist, but heck it was a great price for a large Arbor Reel. It's drag is not made out of plastic and heck it is for a backup reel. I plan on putting my old 6/7/8 cutter on it. Have any of you guys tried them out before?
  2. Stephen Rice Senior Member

Wasilla, Alaska
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I haven't tried the president, but I used to have a Trion, Pflueger makes great reels! I am sure you will be pleased with the choice.
  3. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Mike, I pointed you toward the Medalist man. Then you reached for the nice shiny silver reel ;) . Those medalists are bulletproof. I received one when I was like in third grade and it has landed everything from coho to Trout. I still have it, but I'm too embarrassed to be seen with it :rofl:

Yea, those Presidents suck man. I think you should get rid of it/sell it real soon. Anyway, I was thinking, you want to trade that pflueger for my Dan Baileys?

Let me know

Justin
  4. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Lay off the crack buddy!
  5. TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Vancouver, WA.
    Ratings: +44 / 0
    Hehe, I take that as a no.
  6. Flyfishsteel New Member

GH,WA
    The ONLY drawback on the Pflugers is that they only have a 1 year warranty.

IMO, get a reel that offers a lifetime warranty, like the Redington CD,Teton Tioga Magnum,ROSS CLA,etc...

These reels I mentioned ALL have LIFETIME warranties and are LA or Mid arbor, and are the same if not cheaper than the President!!!

Good luck!
  7. martyg Active Member

The world at large
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    I just did a review of fly reels and Phleuger sent a President to me. It was the sleeper in the bunch. I have it loaded with a HiD sinking tip shooting head. Great reel!

If anything breaks after one year it is usually operator error. My company (MOTHER) doesn't warrantee stupidity and I don't expect other companies to do so.
  8. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    I got several Ross Reels and understand the warranty thing. I have had two reels repaired by them. One after a car accident and the other from the famous issue of salt vs Canyon reel. Great company and I am sure I will buy many more of them. However it is a backup reel and I cannot see the spending over a hundred more dollars for a reel that is not any better and is not going to get used nearly as much as the others. The fact of the matter is the plastic turned me off and I had bad luck with a Rhythm so I could not see throwing down the extra cash. Redington makes descent reels and I own one, but I have heard to many bad things regarding problems when you get dirt in the drag systems. Also the CD would be really short in line capacity and the Teton just shy not to mention not a large arbor.
    The President that I purchasesd is the 11-12 that can hold 300yrds of backing. I am sure I will never need that much for steelhead, but maybe for that tuna in Baja next spring. Hopefully it is worth the $160.00 I paid for it.

FYI, the Ross CLA was $100.oo more.
  9. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    If anything breaks after one year it is usually operator error. My company (MOTHER) doesn't warrantee stupidity and I don't expect other companies to do so.[/QUOTE]

not true. I have seen several reels that brake after several years of use.
    And 9 times out of 10 it was a poorly designed reel to begin with .
  10. ErieSteelhead Guest

Don't own a president. My bro does. 1 year old and he never had a problem with it. I picked up a Trion in May. Love it so far.
  11. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Head scratcher here: I know of the Pflug Pres. as a bait casting or spinning reel but not in a fly reel config. Am I missing something here?:confused:
    Fred

Skip that, add 'fly reel' to the Google search and all becomes clear. That said, for that kind of money forgetaboutit. For $100.00 you can get the Loomis Venture series reels. Many of these in heavy useage here in southern Oregon by fellows who can buy what ever they want. You can pound nails with the number 7 .. and from trout to king salmon (I've seen both on the same reel without a wimper.)

The reels are 're-branded' by Shamono for sale in the US (Shimmie owns Loomis); so the 'actual' manufacture is top knotch. In the UK they're sold under the Sham. brand name.
  12. Rich McCauley Meiser & Mohlin

Tacoma, WA, USA.
    So am I now the one that is confused ? Mike said he wanted a SPEY reel. The largest Loomis Venture I find is a 7, rated to hold a WF7 and 150 yards of 50lb TUF line or similar GSP.

The President and Trion share a common drag system. I own both, and have had excellent performance. I only fish steelhead, but I have experienced some very hot fish on both models. Some of the discount internet sites bring the cost of the President down to $120. I also own some high end reels but I am also a line junky and can pick up these reels for less than the cost of spare spools on high end products.
  13. ErieSteelhead Guest

The venture series are a really nice reel. They are the about same price as the Pflueger Trion. The Ventures are not a LA reel though. The Trion is about the same quality as the venture plus you get a LA wth inexpensive replacement spools. The drawback are that the pfluegers weighs more.

Pflueger is manufactured by Shakespear so if you go by baitcaster and spinning rig qualiity I'd put Shakespear right begind shimmie and abu garcia as far as the big box brands go.
  14. hawkeye trout in a brook, you're about to get hooked...

Monroe, WA
    I love the Trion and President. I'm with shawn k on the warranty thing....while its nice, it shouldn't be necessary if the product is high quality. Pflueger's always made great reels at a great price. And a rosewood knob! For 3-500$ most companies still give you molded plastic there.

Problem with most reels is the price doesn't match the quality. But hey, they look good on the water right? And they work real well as methbait.
  15. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Good points on the 'spey reel' point that started this thread .. right over my head with the "#6" bit.:confused: The 'Ventures' would be a tad small for anything but a shooting head spey line config.
  16. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    I have yet to get the big pull on my new reel, thanks for the insight on my purchase.