Phillipson Glass Rod

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Rusty, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Rusty

Rusty New Member

In the middle of my thread whining about my 4 1/2' Sage, I mentioned a couple rods I made up long ago. So I went out to the garage and there was the Phiilipson 3M squirreled away. Marked as a BK70, a dark brown blank, made it up in 1975(?). I had put a gold&bronze Featherweight seat on it and Gold Windings.
    Just for the heck of it I snow cast it a bit & it felt really good!!
    Flexes all the way downto the cork,and casting 50' no problem. The line isn't marked but looks like a 5 weight, I'm going to try a 4 on it when(if) it ever warms up. It's 7'.
    Anybody out there have one, or have some info. on them??? I searched but didn't find much. THANKS!!!!!
    Oh yeah, the other rod I made was a Lamiglass. Long time ago I was fishing in front of Yellowstone Hotel and a kid from Michigan was watching; so I taught him casting it and he caught a nice Cut.-you Know the look on his face;; so that rod ended up in Michigan.

2. islandfisherman

islandfisherman islandfisherman

Home Page:
  3. speyfisher

speyfisher Active Member

If memory serves correctly, Phillipson was a well respected maker of fly rods. His designs were cutting edge technology of the day.

4. J Marcus

J Marcus New Member

Home Page:
    About 15 (or more. . .) years ago I dug out my first fly rod that my father bought for me on sale for, if I remember right, about $17.00 (or was it $11.00?) in the early 60's. It was a Phillipson 8' marked as a 7 wt. I was very disappointed in it's performance until I showed it to Dan Homel who flexed it and pronounced it a 5 wt. It turned out to be a very sweet little five wt. and I use it with pleasure whenever it's appropriate--and it often is. About 4 or 5 years ago, fishing in a slough off the Skagit for sea runs, I hooked a wild silver of about 12 lbs. with a 3.5 lb. tippet (about 3 year old. Orvis Superstrong, by the way) and eventually managed to land it! (I have pictures! Dan is my witness!!) It would never have happened if it weren't for the gentle, tough, sweet action of that fiberglass rod. About 10 years ago, I stumbled upon (not literally. . . ) a Johnson Profile. They owned the Phillipson Co. for a short while. I was able to purchase the little gem, complete with original case, wrapped with foulproof guides, and in beautiful condition, for a song. It was built on the same blank and was also marked 7 wt.--It's a 5 wt. I don't understand why that was done so often. I've heard that other fiberglass brands were rated for over-weight lines, too. Maybe it's because there's so much skinny trout water back east. My advise to you is to use your Phillipson and enjoy it. They're lovely little wands.

Oh yes, Dan Homel's book on collectible fly rods has some info on Phillipson rods.