Photo management software

Discussion in 'Photography / Video' started by jessejames, Feb 15, 2010.

1. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +353 / 3
    I am looking for a photo management system.
    I have hundreds of photos on my computer and am adding more constantly. The Canon software that came with the camera is not easy to use for photo management. I need something that will collate the photos, allow me to review them full size and to transfer individually or by group to new albums. I would like to be able to search the archives by date or theme.
    I would like to be able to crop, edit and add captions to individual photos as well as albums.
    It would be nice to then be able to copy these photos or albums to CD for outside printing as well as put together a slide show with audio.
    My computer skills are intermediate so the program will have to be user friendly with tutorials or FAQ sections.
    My home computer is PC with Vista.
    Thanks and Blessings
    jesse clark
  2. shawn k Member

buckets worldwide
    Ratings: +19 / 0
    Try eithre windows live photo gallery or google picasa. They are better than canons software. For resizing photos is use irfan view. All of these are free programs.
  3. alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Hiding in your closet
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    I'm a fan of Adobe Lightroom.
  4. Bryan Williamson Willybethere

Bothell, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Check out Shutterfly.com.My wife is the photo organizing guru in our clan and loves it. Pretty sure they can do all you need plus you save hard drive space by storing on their DB. Also has an iPhone app where you can quickly and easily access all your photo albums via your phone for "on the fly" slide shows.
  5. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,785 / 0
    Second on Lightroom. A bit costly though. You might also take a look at Photoshop Elements. Which does most if not all of what you are asking and is considerably cheaper than Lightroom.
  6. jessejames Flyslinger

Show Low, Arizona
    Ratings: +353 / 3
    So I downloaded the Picasa program and have been using it to organize my photos. It is user friendly and is accomplishing what I want at this time. The organizational tools are easy to manage and I have been assembling albums of photos by location and theme.
    I was not looking for the photo manipulation tools of the pricier software. Maybe later.
    Thanks for you input.
    Blessings
    jesse clark
  7. Charles Craumer chuckngear

lander, wyoming
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    +1. works great with photoshop as well.