pic yer pocket fly

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by canyon45, Dec 3, 2007.

1. canyon45

canyon45 New Member

Is anyone familiar with the pattern called "pic yer pocket". To me it looks like a modified intruder. I was able to google it up on a couple sites under "pic yer pocket fly" but could not attach, sorry. Any thoughts?

2. Ringlee

Ringlee Doesn't care how you fish Moderator Staff Member

Media:
  3. obiwankanobi

obiwankanobi Active Member

Media:
    Actually the pick yer pocket fly patterns that I have seen use both dyed grizzly hackles and dyed silver pheasant barbules. The silver pheasant looks great, but for the price, it is an unnecessary material. You can make this a much cheaper tie but subsituting the waddington shank with a Mustad Salmon/Steelhead hook and cut it at the bend after finishing. Other than using grizzly hackles for the ostrich herl, they are every bit an intruder. If you are going to tie some up, I recommend using Spyderwire to hold the hook rather than mono and other than that they are fun to tie and fun to fish. This pattern along with the intruder goes against the fashion of tying steelhead flies sparsely, the more materials used the better!!!

4. Jergens

Jergens AKA Joe Willauer

Media:
    Home Page:
    The pick-yer-pocket crushes, if you get spiderwire get atleast 30lbs, 40 is even better.

5. Allison

Allison Banned or Parked

Wondering why the fly tying gallery doesn't have recipes attached. Is it one of those "me to know, and you to figure out" things, or is the Gallery just not set up to accomodate recipes?

6. slugthug

slugthug Member

Anybody have a pictorial procedure or knows where one is?

7. jakers

jakers Member

I too would be interested in a recipe/instructions. I am sure I could figure it out on my own but if anyone has a link or tips they'd like to share before I start experimenting they would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

8. ozcast

ozcast Member

Media:
    Idwylde has them on their web site. Its their fly

9. jakers

jakers Member

I'm sorry, I think my post may have been somewhat ambiguous. I have had no trouble finding pictures of them and I can probably figure out the tie from the pictures. I was just hoping someone might have already gone through the trouble or wouldn't mind posting a short recipe or instructions/tips. If not, no worries as sometimes half the fun is figuring it out.

@Ozcast: Thanks for the response. If you were trying to direct me to something of this sort, I apparently wasn't able to find it. I appreciate you trying to help though.