Picked up a rod, now need a book/video

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by daveypetey, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Hey guys-

I picked up an Echo 7wt yesterday on sale at Avid, and am now in the market for some evening couch instruction. There are so many videos and books online I was hoping you all might chime in on which I should be looking at buying. Thanks in advance.

Dave

2. If you plan on chucking skagit then a great video is skagitmaster 1 with Ed Ward GREAT "how to" he also brakes it down in depth on why it works.

Ian Broadie and Bob Triggs like this.
  3. Ed Ward's SkagitMaster is great to learn skagit casting.
    Also if you want to get a overview of different styles ... The art of spey casting is a great one.
    RedShed fly shop carry them, and other great videos and books as well. free shipping.

http://yhst-9494565811469.stores.yahoo.net/videos.html

4. Thanks for putting up the Link to the Redshed. As odd as it sounds I've never been able to get past page one of his web site.

5. Thanks guys!

6. There are 3 spey instructional vids that stand out, IMO

In no particular order...

Spey to Z communicates the basics of the spey family casts well, and also shows the technique on single as well as two-handed rods.
    Skagitmaster is Ed's laser-focus on the SA casts, nothing more, nothing less. Mandatory watching for the chain-and-chicken crowd.
    Rio's Modern Speycasting covers a LOT of ground, and you have to listen to George for awhile...but the payoff is Simon Gawesworth and his incredibly concise and visual teaching style.

Having said that, all the vids that Poppy had up are better that the long, dark path of spey self-actualization. The videos (along with other advancements in the field) now flatten out a formerly Steep-As-Hell learning curve

7. Simon Gawesworth, his book and videos are excellent for the traditional spey style, and Ed Ward for the Skagit style. They are very different casts with very different dynamics. The best thing you can do is to get coached byca good casting instructor. Aaron Reimer has a great program and gives of himself unstintingly, and his weekly Day on The River sessions at the Tolt River in Carnation are a great opportunity to see and learn from some very good casters and instructors. This could save you from years of struggle.

8. Aaron Reimer offers his "day on the river" class to help people out. They are Saturday mornings from 9 - 12 on the Snoqualmie river. He is an excellent instructor and can give you some pointers to help you get started. He also offers classes which I would recommend.

http://speyschoolriverrunanglers.blogspot.com

I purchased Spey to Z when I was first learning the 2-handed rod. This video covers many different styles of spey casting and they do a good job of describing the mechanics of the different casts. After picking up the basics and spending several days on the water fishing, I watched the video again and it made a lot more sense to me then and I was actually able to troubleshoot a couple of problems I was having.

http://www.amazon.com/Spey-Fly-Casting-DVD/dp/B001CLB8WA

9. One of the 'beauties' of spey casting is almost all of it is out in front of you so you can see what's going on. If you 'flub' a cast pretty easy to figure out what went wrong and why. That said, if I had to pick just one thing that causes most cast(ing) problems it would be poor anchor placement. That's the part you want to practice, and practice and ........

10. I sure like watching George cast though.

11. Me either, they need to do some remodeling.