picked up my 4th drift boat

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Jerry Daschofsky, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +574 / 5
    Ok, ok. It's an old POS wooden drift boat. Paid a whole whoppin' $15 for it.

The plan is to sand it down, seal up any bad spots, then repaint. Purely going to be decoration on the mancave. It's off my trailer, turned over, and my son is already stripping the hull.

0714131446.jpg
    Alex MacDonald and Freestone like this.
  2. Paul Huston Swinger

WalkingSpeedWater, Yelm Washington
    Ratings: +18 / 0
    You really did need at least one more boat.
    :p
    Jerry Daschofsky likes this.
  3. Ron McNeal get'n jiggy wid it, for the most part anyway

Poulsbo, WA
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Looks to me like $15 very well-spent.
  4. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    I figured if my wife can have animals all over the property I can have boats all over it too. ;)
    Josh Smestad likes this.
  5. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    Having once been an authority on grass length in my former life as a landscape maintainer for the filthy rich, I can say, from looking at your lawn, that you, Sir, have your priorities in order!;) Your photo clearly depicts the priorities of a dedicated fisherman! You are a hero to all of us who have lawns.:D

Nice yard ornament! A wooden boat is by far the most preferred of all rotting hulks to have gracing the landscape!
  6. nomlasder Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems

Burien.
    Ratings: +100 / 0
    Thanks goodness your just turning it into yard art, I would feel compelled to restore it to original glory, spend thousands of dollars, and hundreds of hours, 27 coats of spar varnish, and still have an old POS.

Whew, dodged that one.
  7. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    LOL. That's the back area of my shop. Stuff I used that was supposed to keep grass and weeds off gravel isn't working. So will torch then hit with ortho ground clear. Not ruining my good mower over gravel. Lol. But yeah, I'll do the lawn when I'm done fishing.

I'm not going to do a hell of a lot to it. Have an empty spot next to mancave this will rest. Will be tilted on its side. Not sitting upright collecting water and leaves.
  8. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +532 / 0
    OK, I guess I didn't make myself clear. With a powerful enuff mower and/or a good weed whacker, you only have to mow your lawn twice a year. Once just before the 4th of July after it has grown tall and gone to seed, and then once again on Labor Day weekend when your fishing spots are crowded with holiday weekend warriors.
    Notice I said "on" Labor Day weekend, not "before". "Before" is when Joe Blow is cutting his so it will look good for the Holidays. Joe blow is not a seriously dedicated angler. Otherwise he would not give a shit about his lawn. Since we fisher folk have our priorities in order, we go fishing when everyone else is mowing. ;)

Jerry, you ought to tilt it bow up, like its on an old trailer with the drain hole down. Then it will feel like its ready to go!
  9. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,236 / 9
    What, pray tell, is a drift boat?
  10. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    It's what a REAL MAN rows. ;)
    Alex MacDonald likes this.
  11. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Lol, I guess I'm a dedicated angler. Good idea on boat, but its final resting place will make it prone to leaves. Won't have time to clean out during salmon season. ;)
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,236 / 9
    Calling bullshit on you there. How many inflatable boats have you owned/rowed? Can't roof rack that DB on your Rig.
  13. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +459 / 0
    Be carefull Ed, this could very well end up being bet, a drift boat on top of a van roof wouldn't even turn heads up on the skagit during the humpy season...
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,539 / 0
    I have seen them on top of travel trailer during humpy mania. I even saw one being towed by a motorcycle heading up for humps. Anything that floats will be on the river in few more weeks. Wonder how many will drown trying to catch a freakin' slimer?
  15. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    LOL, challenge already done. ;) I've had my glass boat up on the truck before. Aluminum, no way. Too damned heavy.

You're right, I've owned a lot of inflatables. More then most, and have used them longer. BUT, most were whitewater boats. And only used the "fishing" ones for single use. Didn't like using my DB's for single use. Think my old 16' Ocelot was the only one I used for multi man fishing and it was my old whitewater gear boat back in the day first. :)
  16. james.jimenez Active Member

South Korea
    Ratings: +159 / 0
    I know a place you can get a sweet trailer from!!!! Check Salt Lake City Utah!!! LMAO
    CMustang1 and Jerry Daschofsky like this.