Picnic Point Blues

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Allan H, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Allan H

Allan H Member

Hi everyone,

I had a little time on Saturday so I headed out to Picnic Point.

I hit it at about noon or so and fished for roughly three hours (I don't usually carry a watch on the weekends). I used some clouser's of assorted colors, but came up empty handed :( ...

I caught the incoming tide and it seemed to have a really strong Southbound current, other than that...the wake was friendly, the sun was warm, and water was mostly glass except for the occasional puff of wind. It was beautiful man....just beautiful....

I didn't see anything rise, nor did I see any baitfish in the water the whole time I was there. There were also a couple other fella's out there that looked skunked as well.

Maybe next time ;)
    Allan

2. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Yeah,
    I was up there too on Saturday from about 1 to 3. Also very skunked. Tried a clouser and an epoxy head minnow in the really smooth water. Also tried a miyawaki popper where there was a bit of a breeze and some ripples on the water. Not a thing. I did see a couple jump quite a ways out.
    Oh well,
    Another day, another fish,
    Jason

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Look for sporatic fishing along the beaches for about the next month. Sea-run cutthroat are at the peak of their spawning time right now. Things will improve about mid-April and should continue to improve through the summer and fall. Right now some are entering the creeks to spawn and others are coming out. Remember, sea-run cutthroat spawn from early February through mid-May (approximately) with some spawning earlier and others even later. Keep on putting in your time and release them carefully. Cutthroat are particularly vulnerable during this period.
    Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

4. Allan H

Allan H Member

Thanks for the info searun, it's much appreciated :thumb:

Hey Jason, I was the guy wearing the camo waders doing the 10-foot cast with a rat's nest made of fishing line around his knees :mad: ... I really need to quit procrastinating and get a stripping basket.

Allan

5. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    any salmon (resident?) along these north end beaches this time of year?

6. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    allan, go to ll beans website and order their $20 stripping basket. I just got one, but haven't used it yet. I can tell already it will work better and be more comfortable than my home made jobber...

7. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Overall, resident populations of coho salmon are not projected to be particularly abundant for the present. In addition, projections for the return of northern coho next fall are about like last year which was not very good in Washington and on up through British Columbia.
    We would really benefit if WDFW would get serious about rebuilding resident stocks which will require more pen-reared fish. in the 1970s through early 1990s we really did have outstanding resident coho fishing. This is when the Fox Island pens were in operation and producted a lot of young coho salmon. This is probably being addressed in the Hatchery Reform Program. I haven't kept up with the salmon programs since becoming a member of Wild Steelhead Coalition and working cutthroat issues.

Good Fishing,
    Les Johnson

8. herl

herl Member

Hi Guys,

I put some time in at picnic pt. last week in the mornings with my father-in-law. We were there two mornings - very windy. He was fishing spinning gear and the first one (tues or wed? my memory is awful) he hooked three fish and lost them all. Said he wasn't used to the barbless hooks. I was fishing intermediate line w/ baitfish patterns and didn't get a look.

The following day he switched to a single barbless hook on his spinner and I switched to floating line and a cheap-o bluegill popper (if your gonna get skunked - do it in style!). He hooked and landed a resident silver within 5 minutes of showing up. I got my first ever sea run cutthroat about an hour later. Beautiful and super bright ~14" fish!

Earlier that week (monday?) I landed my first resident silver at Carkeek. Jason, I think that I was talking to you there afterwards.

just thought I'd share some of my success with you all. They are there. I guess sooner or later, you have to catch something. It helps to get a few pointers from folks like Mr. Johnson. I talked to him at the shop a month or so ago and he brought some things to my attention that I had been overlooking, so thanks for that Les.

Oh, I also tried out my new LL bean stripping basket for the first time, but ended up sticking it behind my back b/c I couldn't get used to it. It restricts my longer strips and my already pathetic double haul. I guess that it would be worth using if there was more crap in the water, but under the conditions last week, I found it to be more trouble than it was worth.

Eric

9. Bruce Davidson

Bruce Davidson formerly hatman

Herl,

I'm new to using a stripping basket too, and didn't like it at first. I found that initially I was wearing it centered and too high up and had the same problem with stripping. I now wear it low and to the side, like a gunslinger's holster. That's working much better for long strips.

10. herl

herl Member

Thanks for the feedback. I did try to move it off to the side and lower but once the belt got past a certain level I had to be careful about how I walked or the whole thing would just slip down around my knees. That got pretty old, pretty fast. I think that I will try it again, but probably not untill I have to contend with bigger surf and/or weeds in the water. In the meantime its great for holding my spare reels, lines and tippet.

Eric

11. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Good idea. I left my extra gear up on the shore while I fished once and the tide eventually caught up to it and by the time I noticed, my jacket and extra flys\reels were soaked...