Picnic Point - No Catching/Car Break-in

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Gregg Lundgren, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Fished from 3:00pm until 6:00pm on the incoming tide with my favorite pinniped. Great conditions(less Herschel) until a north wind kicked up around 5:30. Enjoyed the late afternoon on the beach with my granddaughter. No action this time around. Nada. At least last time out I caught a large star flounder.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, I had to explain the smash and grab deal to the granddaughter. Hatch window on an SUV.

Dang! I introduced myself to this site in 2009 because I wanted to inform other fisherman about a break-in at Picnic Point. Dispatch at 911 just told the woman to go home after recording the event. "We don't send anyone out anymore for car break-ins."

Seems there are never any consequences for these stealing SOBs to change the behavior. Do we need cameras everywhere? Better said, should we need cameras everywhere?
  2. Jim Darden Active Member

Bellingham, Wa.
    Ratings: +214 / 0
    Sad to hear! Unfortunately it is becoming all too common and until we make an example of a few burglars, it won't stop. I'm puzzled by the police response, they say if you encounter someone breaking in, you should run away and not confront. The problem is that if you do confront and stop the crime, they won't be on your side. Maybe we need some police education on what it feels like to be robbed. Personally, I'm probably the guy that will confront them and get in trouble, but I'm fed up with it. One hidden officer watching the site for a week would stop the problem entirely.
    bigdood likes this.
  3. flyfool Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0

Last time I was there the lot was full so I parked behind a few other cars in the clearly marked No Parking Anytime zone at the street entrance. Hoped I'd get lucky, as if it seemed to be tolerated. I left 2 hours later; there must have been another dozen or more cars also illegally parked. None were ticketed that I could see, including me.

I figured it might be local police tolerance, but more likely it's police absence. Budget cuts, I suppose. But in the lot or out of it, and regardless of the financial hit, there's that gut-grinding sense of an arrogant slap in the face that ruins the day and takes a while to get over. My sympathies to you....been there.
  4. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +641 / 0
    The reason you never see a police officer at picnic point or other beaches is because they are all tied up spying on those Bikini baristas. Its a matter of prioritys!!!!
    plaegreid and dryflylarry like this.
  5. flyfool Active Member

Lynnwood, WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0

That's the answer! Rent some space to a Bikini Barista shack. Plenty of patrolling then. No break-ins. Lots of parking tickets. Hey, wait a minute. Maybe I haven't thought this through....
  6. cwlinkem New Member

Shoreline, Wa
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    I usual fish there in the mornings and usually only see a few other people. A couple months ago, I headed there in the evening directly after work to fish an outgoing tide. The parking lot was full of cars and there were so many people on the beach enjoying the sunshine that casting was a problem. Two cars were broken into despite all the people and activity. I was lucky that my car was not one of them. I never leave anything in my car after seeing that, which means no more trips straight from work. The police were called and did come out. It sucks to hear that break-ins are still happening at this spot.
  7. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    These car-prowling & car-jacking scumbags are the real terrorists, and every one of 'em should be shot on sight.

Some a-hole stole a truck tool rack off some dude's p/u truck that was parked at home in his driveway here not long ago, and the owner was watching and got a description, & called the cops. The cops caught the thief red-handed, and then wrote him a TICKET!!!! for theft and trespassing, and then let him go!!!! Just because the county jail was already full.

Too bad we can't just "Shoot, shovel, and shutup!" The cops don't like their power being usurped, even though they don't use it very well themselves.
  8. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    I visited Picnic Point one time three years ago while I was scouting for beach fishing sites. The grounds crew was sweeping up broken glass from two breakins. I never went back.

It wouldn't take much to catch these folks, just a couple of trail cameras hidden well. Of course, I have alternate solutions to our current penal system and punishment. It has to do with an island in the ocean with very strong, cold currents surrounding it.
  9. Gary Thayer Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Was there yesterday, a County Mountie cruised through about 10AM.

GT
  10. jeff bandy Make my day

Edmonds, Wa.
    Ratings: +250 / 1
    Story the other day about a Florida Sheriff reintroducing chain gangs.

I think we should do this. Every smash and grab asshat caught and convicted should have to spend 8 hours a day chained up by the ankle to a post at the site of the crime. Figure how many S&G's happened there in the last year and sentence them to a week for each event. Add a month for each crime committed there while they were on duty.

Should I run for sheriff? Would you vote for me?
  11. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +539 / 0
    I've always been a fan of Clint Eastwood, and his acting role of Dirty Harry. Public lashings for the perps would be OK by me, too. Put 'em in "stocks" and provide large bins of rotten fruit for the public to hurl at 'em.
  12. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    So frustrating! In 2009 the park ranger told me the sheriffs said the perpetrators actually like all the activity, and do this as a team with lookouts. One guy with a cell phone on the overpass, one guy with a cell phone up the road, while another does the smash and grab in the parking lot. My first reaction was: How do they know this without having put an end to it? I know the answer is more complicated than one might imagine, but come on!
  13. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +369 / 0
    Yeah, when I was managing Point Defiance Boathouse in Tacoma we had lots of parking lot break-ins and they were more common on a busy summer day than during the doldrums of winter.

I spoke with a cop I knew and he said much the same thing: they like the busy days with lots of vehicles for cover and lots of crowds in which to disappear and these lowlifes do use lookouts and phones.
  14. Matthew Gulbranson Resident Swinger

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +47 / 0
    I have been lucky there in the past. Thanks for the reminder! Nothing worse to ruin your day fishing than to have a window smashed and who knows what taken from you. That sh*t sure pisses me off! I know I'll be much more aware if I see someone up on the bridge just hanging out talking on their cell phone.
  15. Shaun Martin Member

Ratings: +10 / 0
    Happened to me recently at Purdy...I was there around 6:00 a.m. and only saw a red truck pull up near the dumpster. Thought it was just a fellow angler. As I worked toward the bridge a half hour later, I could see the damage. Nothing in the car but an empty lunchbox...assholes took it, too. Spent the afternoon with Safelite.