Picnic Point Thursday Morning

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Ron Crawford, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Ron Crawford ===

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Two fly fishers and three gear fishers. No fish caught or landed.

I fished (casted) for 3 hours - had two takes on my fly but didn't get a hook up. Lot's of SRC and salmon jumping just beyond my casting range.

It felt like fall out there today.
  2. bwtucker83 Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Where is picnic point?
  3. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +56 / 0
    West and a couple blocks north of Ted's Sport Center.
  4. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Do you recall see much of any bait fish?
  5. Willie Bodger Still, nothing clever to say...

Lynnwood, WA
    There are no fish at Picnic Point. Those were baby harp seals you saw. Move along everybody, there is nothing to see here... ;)

Willie
  6. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    You're right Willie. Picnic Point sucks! It has always sucked, it will continue to suck and will more than likely get worse with global warming and continued pressure from idol worshipping heathens who only take flounder for their sushi rolls and kill everything else that gets in their way. God, I hate that place. Waste of time I tell you. And like the report said, no frickin’ fish, it’s all about the South Sound buddy.
  7. shgrier Hooker of ducks

Sultan, WA.
    "Me thinks he doth protest too much" :hmmm:

Hmmmm

Baby harp seals in the sound, eh. Sounds tasty!

We're going to hit Brown/Dash point on Saturday, but we're going to try in the boat - breaking in a newbie on flies - should be a hoot. (he's bringing mooching gear, just in case, though!) :beer2:
  8. papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Camano Island, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +62 / 0
    That other flyfisher was me. I left before the rest of the guys, could tell it was going to be a bust after about an hour, just too much junk floating in the water.
    I really don't like the salt much anyway, too much clean-up to do afterwards for me.

COME ON RAIN!

LB
  9. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,656 / 0
    Besides of not being any fish to be had at Picnic Point. Has anybody tried Picnic Point Pond. They(WDFW) used to plant it but I don't know if they still do.

Jim
  10. salt dog card shark

Edmonds WA / Mazama
    The lake has only tiny stunted bluegill, about the size of a silver dollar, from what I've seen/caught over the last 10 years. Used to carry Beardslee Trout when a UW Fish Biologist used to live on the lake and he got them planted by WDFW for him and they got huge, but that was many years ago.

Eutrophication is setting in and its heavy with seaweed/algae growth. There is no public access but you can get to it by walking 100 yards north on the railroad tracks from the park beach.
  11. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Thank's for the info.

Jim
  12. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +373 / 1
    that's funny.......I asked the fine lads at Ted's how to get to it last week....they all looked at each other, did a kind of "wink wink" and said "eh, dunno, the guy who might know is on vacation".........

luckily I always keep a Delorme in my rig............BUSTED! :p I gotta give Mike some crap for that one...........I might run into some of you there soon.....
  13. fish-on Waters haunt me....

camano island
    Ratings: +30 / 0
  14. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Don't know if Mike will, but I'll bet Joe takes a look. Whassup with dogging the wrecking crew Joe? Granted, all the money I've dropped in there might get me a little better result from questions, still, that is not a reason to blow off any of WFF.COM's finest.
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    That place is not hard to find if you know where you are going and have a good map.

Jim
  16. Diehard aka Justin

Seattle, Washington, USA.
    Old Man,
    I used to fish Picnic Point Pond all the time in the spring and would do very well for trout until the weeds grew in. However, the last few years I haven't had nearly as much luck in there. Maybe they are not stocking it anymore?
  17. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Just took the kids out there for kicks and giggles. We didn't fish though. Saw a fatty roll out there beyond my 120 foot limit. Couple gears tossing spray painted lead. No salad in the water. From 99 it's west on Shelby which is just before 525 as your headed north.
  18. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +649 / 0
    Note on seaweed and debris on the drift; when this is happening I either move or use a floating line and dry fly. Often with very good results in catching fish.

Stimulators with a longish leader and a high stick, short casts and drifts, very little line on the water/debris. A little jiggle to the fly.

Trick is to land em' before you get an entire head of lettuce built up on the poor thing. I like the stonefly dry patterns since so many moths and termites etc are hatched along the beaches in the vegetation and logs etc.
  19. Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

Happy Hour, WA
    Ratings: +373 / 1
    Bob thanks for that explanation...I've used dries with success in the salt but I always thought it was a "memory strike" from when the cutts were in freshwater.....I figured bugs didn't hatch in the salt so that must have been it...now I know why they hit them!
  20. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +649 / 0
    Mingo..."Why they hit them" (Bugs, dry flies etc) I think that a lot of insects get into and onto salt water every day year round. Especially beetles and ants and termites and moths from all of the vegetation and logs, debris etc. Trout dont stop eating insects just because they are in saltwater.