Picnic Point

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Greg78, Jul 18, 2007.

1. I am new to the forum and new to Fly Fishing in the Salt. Is anyone familiar with Picnic Point? is it a good place to start? I live in Edmonds and would like a close place to go.

2. Like most Puget Sound beaches, Picnic Point can fish well at times and not so well at others depending on season and tides. It's certainly worth your effort to fish it. One morning I caught three resident coho, a nice cutthroat and a small bull trout in a couple of hours there. Pinks should begin to show there by the beginning of next month with mature coho later and there's always the chance of cutthroat any time from March into winter. There's plenty of accessible water within a short distance of Edmonds; Meadowdale, Mukilteo and Golden Gardens come to mind. I'm afraid it's out of print now, but Harvey and Penny Manning's Walks and Hikes Around Puget Sound is an invaluable guide to access points all around the Sound. You may be able to find a used copy through Amazon's used book service.

3. Thanks! I have a newbie question also. Is it best to fish when it is high tide?

4. greg, i fished fished picnic point with someone from the board on monday night. there was a ton off junk in the water! (seaweed, etc...) it limited to where you could fish the area. i'd fish over on the right half of the beach. you can walk out a decent amount on an incoming tide. although we didn't see any baitfish and limited bird activity we saw a bunch of fish jump. nothing spectucular although my g/f found multiple fish crashing the surface on the left side of the beach (we of course were on the right side).

it's always best to fish the 3,4,5 hour of a tide. this is when the most water movement occurs.

i rather fish this picnic point on an outgoing tide as you have more room get away from people. also you'd be able to walk farther as you are limited to where you can fish due to the railroad tracks.

5. lately, picnic point has done nothing but produce frustrations for me. there has been so much salad it's been nearly unfishable.

6. Picnic Point is a salad bowl whenever there is large water movement between high and low tides. it does get tiresome to have to clean the fly after every cast.

7. Does anybody know of another good spot close to the Edmonds area besides Picnic Point?

8. read the second post...

9. Read it....I was hoping for some other good spots. Anybody know of a good spot around Richmond Beach or Shoreline?

10. Greg - read it again. Look at a map, find public access, go fish.:beathead:

11. Well, I certainly am able to do that. I guess i was hoping for something a little more specific. Maybe somebody sharing a place they like to go in this area. But it seems that's not the case. Thanks for everyones advice. :)

12. HA! If this was a thread started by a young cutie with a pink fly vest, there'd already be five pages of information spilled out!
    Greg, check your PM and let's go fish.

13. Dave the truth doctor!:)

but in all seriousness, the advice about finding a map and finding a public beach is all there really is to it. any of the beaches can produce fish, and any one of them can get you skunked. it's all a matter of what time of day, or even year you fish it. there's carkeek park, richmond beach, norma beach, picnic point, kayak point, edmonds, and others i can't pull off the top of my head at the moment.

14. Well, i guess i could borrow my wife's dress......But then i would be one ugly looking drag.....:eek:

15. i also forgot to add that the tide also effects the fishing of different spots. some fish best at low tide, some fish best at high tide, others fish best when it's halfway in, others halfway out. this is something i've been trying to figure out at the spots i go to (usually picnic point). the baitfish activity seems to change with the different tides.

16. In reference to people's complaint about seaweed, are you all finding this to be more of a problem during the incoming tide versus the outgoing? I can only say that I've heard that there is a difference, as my saltwater experience is limited.

17. The ebb tide tends to alleviate the salad problem, at least on the beaches I frequent.

18. Lesson number 1 - the more you walk out the more you push the fish out, for you and everyone else. Stay in, they'll come to you.

19. this is so hard to do even when you know it to be true. your instinct just tells you to keep walking until the water is to your elbows

20. i wasn't talking about "walking out". i was referring to walking down the coast line. :)

i also don't agree with you about pushing the fish out and staying by the beach and waiting for the fish to come to you... when things aren't producing, you want to cover as much water as possible especially if you're unfamiliar with a beach. i've been in many situations where wading out an extra 10feet puts you into fish. when you're in the salt, not traveling around can prohibit you from having some very productive days.

also if you see a blitz i'd recommend waiting it out and letting the fish come to you. don't give up hope! running also helps...

do they have blitzs out here?