Pictures of my first BOOrod build

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by NewTyer1, Feb 20, 2011.

1. NewTyer1

NewTyer1 Banned or Parked

This is actually my first build ever. It is a 6'-6" 2pc with extra tip, 4=5wt
    Sorry for the bad pictures. I was using a new camera that I haven't quite figured out yet but, you get the idea.
    I hope you like it.

2. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    Great job Newtyer! I like the wood grip! Did you make the bamboo blank or buy a blank and finish it off?

Lonnie

3. NewTyer1

I bought the blank. It is a Tonkin cane blank from China

4. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Media:
    I'm sure you will enjoy that rod on many outings! Keep up the good work! :thumb:

5. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Media:
    Nice Tyer. I have one sitting on the rack waiting to be wrapped. Are you going to dip it after it is wrapped, or epoxy?

6. NewTyer1

I will use the spar varnish on the blank before the eyes are put on and then use the flex coat epoxy. I am at a stand still at the moment, trying to figure out how to sign it with my name and rod specifics. I tried ink from a caligraphy pen but, as soon as the varnish hit it, it desolved and black paint would not flow out of the pen. Maybe I will have to thin out the paint first. Until then, I will put the ferrules on and the tiptops on the top half of the rod. Thanks for your compliments. Any suggestion would also be welcome.

7. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

Media:
    Write the rod specs/name with a pencil, then trace over it with a fine tip wood burner.

8. AdamH

AdamH New Member

try writing on the rod after you put on the finish, then put another coat of finish over the writing. you could also put down a layer of color preserver and try writing over the top of that.

9. NewTyer1

There is one coat of finish on already

10. Troutcreek

Troutcreek Active Member

Media:
    This is the process that I use:
    Smooth out the first coat of varnish in preparation for the next coat. Use a fine point artist pen like the ZID MILLENNIUM 01 . I purchase these from DickBlick art supply but someone told me that they are available from Wall Mart. Many bamboo rod builders use this type of pen, and it is MUCH easier to use than India ink.
    This ink can be wiped away with turpentine or paint thinner for the first few minutes. So it gives you the chance to get the writing just right. I let the ink set for 1 hour then dip or carefully wipe a coat of true oil over the writing.

11. Mike Monsos

Mike Monsos AKA flyman219

Media:
    Nice looking build! I like the wood grip, did you turn it yourself. What type of finish did you use on the grip?

I use a Micron Pen 01 or a 05 (Stationary stores sell them), after the second coat of varnish. I prep the surface by buffing with 0000 steel wool, write on the rod, let it dry completly (if you make a mistake just wipe off with a paper towel) and with a very light touch apply a coat of thinned varnish with a piece of a foam brush.

Mike

12. NewTyer1

I did not turn the grip. I ordered it on line. The rod has a coat of varnish. I also, after people had expressed concern about the ferrule, redid it. It looks much nicer now. I also took the finish off where I signed the rod. Signed it with India Ink then recoated it. I did some more rewrapping and I'm ready to put the eyes on. I may get to it this weekend. I have taken more pictures and will post them later. STAY TUNED.

13. NewTyer1

Well, reworked the ferrule and rewrapped it along with the hook keeper. I think you will like the finished product compared to the first try. Here are some pictures of the finished product.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Mike Monsos

Media:
    Nice looking rod! The wood grip has my interest with the cost of good cork now days. Did you do anything behind the winding check to reduce the shear effect of the stiff wood grip where it meets the bamboo? I was thinking that a small cone of cork or silicone as a shallow "bushing" inside the wood grip might help ease any stresses at that point. I haven't used a wood grip yet so just wondering how it's done.

Mike

15. NewTyer1

I made sure that the masking tape bushings came up to the winding check? I guess that is what that area is called and put a good bit of epoxy. The thing about bamboo, if I'm not mistaken is that all the work is within the top half of the rod. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I have taken the bottom half and false casted it and it feels awesome. I can't wait until the top is done. Maybe I'll finish it next week during Spring break.

16. Mike Monsos

Media:
    It all depends on the taper of the rod. I have some that flex into the grip at times, swelled butt rods tend to stop the action in front of the grip. With the tape bushing and epoxy the rod should not feel a pinch at the winding check. (the metal fitting at the nose of the grip)

Mike

17. NewTyer1

Adam, I am in the process of getting a Batson blank and putting a Tennesee style grip with concept eyes. It going to be a four piece spin/fly rod. Looking forward to that next build. Update on my Bamboo. I placed the eyes on yesterday with masking tape, fit the ferrules so they pop when taken down and loaded the rod to check placement. All looks good so started wrapping. I should have it wrapped by tonight. I will epoxy it and it should be done tonight. Tomorrow, if it isn't still raining, I will go out and cast it. I think I will set up my video camera and film a short video of me casting it. That way you all can get a laugh out of seeing my poor casting abilities.

18. NewTyer1

Well butt and one tip complete so, I took it outside and cast it. All I have to say is WOW. Nice rod flex, loads 5wt great and smooth line lay to 30+ feet. No stress on the handle

[​IMG]