Pimp your gas grill

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by IveofIone, Jan 16, 2008.

1. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Over the past 20 years or so almost everyone I have camped and fished with has had a portable grill of some sort. Whether it was floating the Deschutes, a week on Kelly Creek or fishing lakes in the wilds of British Columbia there is usually a gas grill going at dinnertime. In recent years portable grills have become more sophisticated and like everything else-much bigger. Some of those grills look good and and cook well. Others just look good but need help in the cooking part of the equation.

The same holds true for the larger units many of us have on the patio. As an example, last spring I bought a new grill for my new back deck. It had the feature set I wanted-3 main burners, an infrared burner, interior light, smoker box, rotissiere, side burner and dual level porcelain coated cast iron grates. With a total output of 70,000 btus it cooked beautifully and met all of my expectations and exceeded some. For about half of a standard 5 gallon propane bottle. Then it began to run out of breath and the flame just continued to diminish until it was little more than a warming oven. The bottle still had lots of fuel in it as it would only need about 2.7 gallons to fill it. Clearly something was amiss and I suspected the regulator as the bottles would empty in my other gas grills. Some digging on the Web turned up a place in Texas (tejassmokers.com) that is an Rx for sick grills. I emailed them and described my problem and they were quick to identify the problem. The solution was simple, just replace the regulator with a more precision unit built for higher capacity and increase the id of the hose by about 50%.

The results were immediate with better cooking all around and now the bottles empty as they should. Total cost was around $60 for the upgrade but what a difference it made. Holding the two units in my hand one looked like it was built by MIT or Cal Tech and the other looked like maybe the product of a high school shop class.

Bottom line is maybe there is hope for your underachiever-either portable or patio-without spending the big bucks on a new unit. Grill on! Ive

2. atomic dog

atomic dog Jive Turkey

Media:
    Ive,

What grill is it you have? It sounds like what I have been looking for. Haven't seen anything like it in local stores, though.

(Specifically, I've been looking for a gas grill with a smoker box.)

3. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    My purpose of using a grill is to BBQ salmon or steak. When I BBQ salmon, I add some damp alder chips to the charcoal to give it a smokey flavor. I've thought about using a gas grill, but wonder if it's OK to throw some wood chips on the fire for flavor. Do you ever try that Ive? And does it work OK? If not, I'll probably stick with the simple but tried and true charcoal BBQ.

Sg

4. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Put your soaked woodchips in a small steel pie pan and place it on top of one of the gas burners. Add water to the pan as needed to keep the wood from catching fire. It's a PITA but it works. I switched back from a $600 gas grill to a $90 weber. I liked the gas grill but you can light off a thermonuclear device inside a weber and it will still work the next day. The gas gril always had something rusting or malfunctioning on it.

5. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    There are certain gas grills that have trays for wood chips. You can also get a small metal box that home depot has for wood chips and just place it on the grill near whatever food you are cooking. Another method is to use heavy duty aluminum foil. Just soak the chips wrap them up in the foil and poke a few holes in the foil. I'll still use my weber charcoal grill for flavor, but love the ease and consistency of my gas grill.

6. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    I do a huge BBQ every year during the locally semi-famous Gleneagle Community Yard Sale that happens here at the golf course twice a year. Usually I marinate and BBQ ~180-200lbs of pork butts in two days in either spicy pork or garlic and herb.

I have a stainless steel 5 burner with the solid cast iron racks high and low so you can do lots of meat at the same time. It is pretty nice.

All of my rotissiere stuff is in the plastic wrap still. I have never even played around with it. I think the only thing I would use it for is a whole chicken. Most of those style of chickens get a beer can artisticly lodged in their posterior before they are set vertically on the grill around here.

7. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

Media:
    Ivan:
    All of your recent posts are about food I know you love good food and will work at it until it is gourmet. With all this foody talk and experimenting one would think you would weigh about 280# instead of 180#. You got good "slim" genes.
    Fire up those 70,000 BTU's and cook a whole hog.
    Blessings
    jesse

8. Mike Wilson

Mike Wilson Yakbowbw

Media:
    I have had the same gas grill for going on 12 years.... rebuilt it once would not trade it for anything. I just added a new cooker to the collection. It is a Texas Style barbeque with a fire box on the side and below the cooking chamber. You feed it charcoal and wood chips and cook your meats long and slow over 250 degree heat. What a great thing to do! Can't beat the smoker for ribs, brisket, fish, or chicken. Kind of hard to load a 400lb steel barbeque into the back of the jeep to go camping though. For that I use a Dutch Oven. Try that once while camping and you won't go back. :thumb:

9. Kent Lufkin

Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Media:
    Here's the pimpiest gas grill you could ever ask for.

Oh, you meant propane gas, not pump gas! Guess that's why steaks from this bad boy taste like motor oil!

K

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

Nothing beats the George Foreman iGrill, nothin

The George Forman iGrill isn't just a BBQ grill, it comes complete with a USB port/dock and an integrated 10W speaker system.

http://igrillwithgeorge.com/gipod200.html

TC

Voted one of the top 10 most pointless "i" gadgets

11. IveofIone

IveofIone Active Member

Atomic Dog, I bought the Fiesta Blue Ember from Home Depot. It has some nice features like a lidded condiment tray on one side or an ice bucket. In warm weather I put ice in there with a few drinks, works out pretty nice.

I also use wood chips soaked over night then placed in heavy duty foil with some holes poked in it. Apple and alder are my faves. Make up at least a couple of packs of those to use in different parts of the grill.

Jeremy, try the rotissiere, especially if you have an infrared burner. It puts a delicious crust on a roast or chicken and best of all there is no cleanup involved. I put a big pan under the meat and cover it with foil. It catches all of the drippings. Best part is how evenly it cooks.

I have 2 gas and 2 charcoal grills and am going to update my charcoal to a 22 1/2'' weber one touch gold in the spring. I like to do ribs and steaks over charcoal and put my wood chips directly on the fire. Beer can chickens, roast, etc usually go on the gas with the wood chips in the cast iron box.

Jess, I have worked off that last 10# and have been at 168# for almost a year now. I am eating like a horse in this cold weather and being out with the dogs everyday but am damned careful about what I eat. Some folks spend their fortune on fancy cars and expensive fly rods, we are eating ours!

And Kent-I knew those Chevy engines had to be good for something!:D

Ive

12. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Coals baby, coals. :ray1:

13. jobyksu

jobyksu Long Drift Trouter

For any of you handymen, there's another, cheaper fix that actually results in superior results.

1. Remove gas delivery tubing and ignitier.
    2. Gently remove complete burner assembly.
    3. Using flat metal pans (deep cake pans work great) and carefully shaped wire hangars, suspend a 'catcher' under all openings in the bottom of your grill.
    4. Place charcoal in your grill, light, and enjoy.

14. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    geez, my weber gas grill is about 25 years old. various parts have rusted off as a result of sitting uncovered outside. but, i have never even thought about infrared, a light, side burner, NOX, ......... it just cooks my meat, poultry and fish with little fuss and only an occasional burp :) i guess i must have missed something in the grilling innovation department. (you might also check to see if you have any spider doo in your intake manifolds)

15. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

Boy, like others I suppose I've gone from charcoal to gas to charcoal to gas. Have worn out 2 Weber charcoal grills but currently have two more that I use occasionally. One standard size and another larger one for deep smoking and large gatherings. I leave these on the back (lee) side of the house. Because my main patio gets some wind though, the charcoal dust was terrible and I'm back to gas for every day stuff. When I bought this grill I was interested in a stainless wonder but opted for the Broilmaster P3. It's a tried & true solid piece of gear that should last 20 years. I use a cast iron smoker box and a variety of woods from a Montlake Terrace connection (if anyones interested).
    Sorry, it's not very exotic so no pimpy pics.

16. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Panhandle, AMEN !!!

17. Bert

Bert Registered Potamophile

Media:
    Turbo Sport Infrared Stainless Steel Portable Grill

[​IMG]

Ceramic radiant burner and all stainless steel. Locks closed like a suitcase. Take it camping, fishing, on the boat, to the park for a picnic. Its small, but three years and going strong.

18. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I bought a stainless steel Charbroil grill a few years ago at Lowes. Stainless is worthless when they use non stainless screws to assemble it. Complete POS. Within three months the thing was a rust bucket. Replaced it with a gas grill from Sears, no problems in three years. Those metal pans someone mentioned for putting in the chips work really well.

If you're out on a urban river like the Cedar, you can find your grill laying in the bushes. Seems to work for me. Just add some flame and you're good to go ;)

19. David Loy

David Loy Senior Moment

That's a sweetie. Grill basket, toaster rack, portable. Put the dishes or undies in, chuck it out there and it's a river powered washer too.

20. Bert

Bert Registered Potamophile

Media:
    Please be careful with improvised grills. In particular, older refrigerator shelves are loaded with cadmium. Poisonous! Read this from the NIH.
    http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1929634