Pimping waters

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by PETI, May 24, 2012.

1. PETI

PETI Member

This subject comes up now and then and never seems to get a reasonable, objective examination. Maybe it can be productive this time.
    What is the benefit of exposing any favorite fishing location to the vast numbers of people that a posting on an internet fishing board achieves?
    The first argument that usually comes up, generally by those that don’t have much in the way of experience, is there are no secret spots any more. Most probably true no matter what perspective it’s approached from, but what is the benefit of the posting. Does it benefit the lake? The fish? The experience overall? The poster alone?
    What I would like to see discussed are the motivations and the subsequent impacts on the resource positive or negative, perceived or real.

2. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    Interesting that you titled this thread with what many may perceive as a negative. Then ask for an objective examination. As your post continues on it appears to me to be slanted towards the idea that sharing fishing locations is also a bad idea.

I rarely do reports but when I have I doubt it has done any damage to the fish or fishery. I have been accused of "pimping" out waters but those making the accusations could not come within 5 miles or more of where I was fishing so I didn't take their criticism very seriously.

I have also gone as far as to post the GPS coordinates to the exact location of hooking fish. I doubt anyone ever made to those locations and if they did it is likely they didn't catch anything. Steelhead are here today gone tomorrow. Perhaps in the future they may get lucky. And if I happen upon someone in that very run before me I would also doubt they used my coords to get there but if they did I hope they hook up. I enjoy seeing others catch fish.

Ed Call likes this.
  3. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Motivations? Maybe sharing a fishing report, after all, that's kind of what this place is for. Impacts? Depends on the "secret" hole I suppose. Listen, just about anybody that's been around rods and guns in the PNW for more than a few years knows of just about every place there is to chase their quarry. The people that get bent are the ones that think they discovered the lost grail and might I add are also probably new to the sport. I have no qualm talking about bodies of water. What you WON'T catch me doing is giving away intimate details about a given body of water unless you're a friend and/or I trust you. Everybody knows where the fish are. Not everybody knows how to get them and when. I have a friend that has spend virtually this entire year learning about a few rivers and with every wall he breaks down, he encounters another one. So I think that posting that specific information is doing a disservice to other sportsman. It's allowing them to get the money shot without any foreplay. Anyway, I guess for me it comes down to sharing information that will motivate people to learn and be self sufficient and not being a hoarder of information. That doesn't mean being a "golum" of the info, but rather only sharing enough to entice, motivate, and encourage others to do the same. Additionally, I think sharing info with someone about water they have never seen could potentially bring additional conservation to that body of water. Hell, I've fallen in love with just about every river I've ever fished and would not have done so if I'd never stepped foot in it.

Now to bring up another, but related topic...you mention "pimping" water. To me, sharing info is not pimping. My definition of pimping is the same regardless whether it's water or women, and that is soliciting people to use something for monetary gain. Homey don't play that. In the guide world, I think there is a fine line between cutting out their piece of the pie and pimping the waters and I think it is being blurred with every year. Before I delve deeper into THAT aspect though, I'll let others weigh in.

Ed Call likes this.
  4. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

If you are depending on others to spot out your fishing holes you should take up golf. I agree with KerryS, by the time you get to the hole, the fish are somewhere else on vacation. I see nothing wrong with sharing with other the benefit of being on the water.

5. Paul_

Paul_ Active Member

Media:
    Impacts and I'll admit are purely anecdotal, but still make me wonder-

I've fished a certain lake an average of 10 times a year since 1994. The lake hasn't received much attention on message boards, until the last 8 months, when it has become a hot topic .

From 1994 to 2011 the most fishing vehicles (vehicles with trailers, vehicles transporting pontoons, ect...) I've seen in the parking lot has been 8, twice. Once was right after the lake re-opened after being closed for 7 months for safety reasons and the other time was during a kids fishing outing, when volunteers took inner city kids fishing out on the lake.

So far in 2012 I've been to the lake 4 times and the least amount of fishing vehicles I've counted in the lot has been 8.

1994 - 2011, 18 years x 10 trips a year = 180 trips. Twice in 180 trips there were 8 fishing vehicles in the lot.

2012, 4 trips and every trip had at least 8 fishing vehicles in the lot.

Coincidence?

6. PETI

PETI Member

pimp [​IMG]
    c.1600, perhaps from M.Fr. pimper "to dress elegantly" (16c.), prp. of pimpant "alluring in dress, seductive." Weekley suggests M.Fr. pimpreneau, defined in Cotgrave (1611) as "a knave, rascall, varlet, scoundrell," but Liberman is against this.
    Judging by such recorded meanings of pimp as 'helper in mines; servant in logging camps,' this word was originally applied to boys and servants. [Liberman]​
    The word also means "informer, stool pigeon" in Australia and New Zealand and in S.Africa, where by early 1960s it existed in Swahili form impimpsi. The verb is attested from 1630s. Related: Pimped; pimping. Pimpmobile first recorded 1973.
    "informer, stool pigeon" is my intended meaning, so your "perceived" meaning is at odds with my intended.
    I don't see where my post states or implies my opinion in any form.
    I actually just want to come to an understanding.

7. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Media:
    I was referring to the socially perceived negativity of the term “pimp” not its true definition. When I read pimping waters I associated it with something negative. I went on to give as objective an opinion as I could following your guide lines, but I wonder if my opinion was influenced by my initial reaction to the thread title.

8. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Media:
    I generally don't post where I fish, but will do so on occassion.
    Last year, people were bitching about how crowded the beaches were with humpy anglers, yet they continued to post where they were fishing. What other result did they expect?

I upset a few folks last year in regards to naming a particularly popular Puget Sound beach location. It certainly isn't a secret, but really doesn't need any additional angling pressure either.
    Shortly after my post, the beach was mentioned on a popular gear fishing board. A number of people chimed in asking where it was located and how to travel there. One of the members then posted a google map.
    All I say is the place was cluster for about a month after that. Coincidence maybe, but I don't think so.

I think in most cases, you can provide a detailed report with info on techniques, flies, hatches, water conditions etc without naming exact locations.
    Reading a detailed report without the location being disclosed adds a lot of intrigue in my opinion.

9. Jmills81

Jmills81 The Dude Abides

Media:
    if you are willing to post about your spots, aka hotspotting...then your willing to share your spot with the world.

Beyond that, there are no secrets anymore

10. Thomas Williams

Thomas Williams Habitual Line Stepper

It is no secret what bodies of water may or may not hold fish. It doesnt take "you" to inform someone where to go that information is readily available from many sources by using the internet alone. If you have somewhat of a secluded spot that you treasure either because it always has treated you well in that its productive or lightly pressured I would agree that its in your best interest to keep it to yourself. I do however feel that there is absolutely nothing wrong with sharing your strategies and comparing them to another fishermans if he is willing to contribute. After all thats what this forum is here for. Everyone wants to advance their skills and better understand the sport. The same people that never give out advice or take the time to share with another person and openly express their opinion that giving away "secrets" to a body of water is wrong. Have no problem reading our posts, take advantage of the information, and then just dont give back to the forum.

11. Go Fish

Go Fish Language, its a virus

Media:
    I have engaged in some heated PM's with
    some that post info on waters that can take
    little or no pressure.

Most of my posts are general locations,
    with specific techniques, The lakes that
    hold the best fishing are the ones never
    mentioned on a web site. That is where
    I try to fish.

Dave

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    You either wish to share or you don't. Sure, some may want to gloat, but I think that is a minimal number of folks. Of course on a community content site there are lots of opinions. Mine is that you are here to share or not. Those that LURK are not.

13. Woodcanoeguy

Woodcanoeguy Member

I share because someone once shared something with me that was helpful.....so I am just passing the kindness on and hope the viewers practice reasonable and respectful resourse use.

Ed Call likes this.
  14. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    You're either a "blabbermouth" or your "not". There are a few secret spots, but, otherwise why in the hell do some people insist on inviting more people? "Oh, excuse me, it's not a secret spot"..... Duh...So......oooooo. Shut up. If you want instant gratification, go to McDonalds.

15. cabezon

cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Media:
    As long as the owner of this board allows me to share my experiences with other flyfishers, I will share. Regardless of oft-repeated whines from the usual suspects, I will use my best judgement as to what, when, and where I will share, but generally, I try to share my experiences, triumphs, and failures as I try, with varying levels of success, to improve my flyfishing skills. I will use this forum as an information source to provide ideas that can improve my skills and potential places to visit. As a biologist, we have a name for those who only take, but never share - parasite.

Steve

16. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

Media:
    [​IMG]

Share till your name ends up on an outhouse wall.

FORDF

Irafly, Islander and Nick Clayton like this.
  17. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I share reports because this is a FISHING based forum. When we don't talk fishing around these parts then all kinds of ridiculous threads start popping up. If you don't like reading my fishing reports I would suggest finding another forum to frequent.

cabezon likes this.
  18. Plecoptera

Plecoptera Active Member

There are definitely a few bodies of water that get talked about repeatedly, and it shows with the crowds that are seen at these popular spots. For some people, sharing water with lots of others and catching fish that have been C&R'd multiple times is perfectly acceptable. Others may prefer the benefits of un-pressured water. I'm the later, which is why I never mention the places I fish. To me, part of the appeal of fly fishing is being alone in my surroundings and catching fish that have not been tainted by fishing pressure. People who take part in the more "combat" type fisheries may not see the appeal of this and probably don't have any qualms about reporting/disclosing their fishing locations for everyone to see.

Sure there are no truly secret spots anymore... online maps, magazines, message boards, etc have pretty much exposed what is out there. However there are a lot of places offering good to great fishing with minimal pressure. To me these are my secret places and when I find them, I hold them closely. The fish in my avatar was taken from place that is right off the highway, yet I never see anyone else fishing there and routinely catch 10-16" rainbows that have never seen another fly. This is not a secret location (its been mentioned on this forum a few times even), but is secret to me. Some day if I decide i wouldn't mind other people in my spots, or catching fewer fish, then maybe I'll mention it in a report or two.

19. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This thread was posted in the stillwater forum so my thoughts have been with stillwaters in mind. Growing up on the peninsula I had many hard earned spots along many popular rivers that were secret enough, and if I knew of any beaches that were worth keeping to myself I doubt I would share much, but when it comes to lakes I feel a bit differently.

20. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Actually, Nick, I believe that smaller lakes and streams are very sensitive to any increased pressure. Any place that is not already widely known should not be named.

Well known fly fishing lakes like Pass or Cady probably get more challenging due to increased fishing pressure, but isn't that what you want? Everybody in the fly fishing community already knows about those lakes, so talking about Pass or Cady probably won't bring on too many more anglers to those places. They're C & R, right? So the fish are still there, but a little more "educated." So you can have a more complicated game to figure out and really feel like you're "The Man" that day your hookup ratio beats that of all or most of the other anglers out on the lake.
    But all BS aside, we all know that sending more anglers to already pressured sensitive fisheries is not wise, no matter how you slice and dice it. Same goes for any "undiscovered" spots even if they aren't yet pressured by the masses. Why ruin a splendid gem of a less visited place by inviting more people in? Let them stumble upon the place on their own, I say!

I am a lurker on most boards. I am an opportunist. I don't have time to register and post when I'm feeling lean and mean and just want to glean! Call me a "parasite" if you want, but to me thats just a word you came up with to try to embarrass me into revealing my secret spot! However, I don't give a shit what you think about me, and that kind of harassment never works with me anyway. I only post stuff on two fishing sites with forums, and I try to be careful. And that is to share my opinion or experience. I think I've only ever posted on 4 different boards ever.

I used to think that I wanted more fishing buddies. Then I realized that I actually prefer to fish alone most of the time. However, I still prefer the "buddy system" when heading into remote spots or out on the ocean, though.

I wanna know who's sending the otters and harbor seals up my criks...they're as bad or worse than more anglers of any persuasion.
    Yeah, well I saw an otter dive and come up with a rockfish, and went back to the secret spot it showed me the next evening and harassed some of its fish! Put 'em all on alert! I even bopped one and took it home for breakfast the next morning. And I'm going back there later on this morning, and every other day until I can't catch my breakfast there in just a few minutes. So there! That's what happens.
    I'm sure the otter is pissed, and I definitely won't tell anyone about that sweet rock I found to stand on. I like rockfish for breakfast as much as that otter does!

Steve Call likes this.