Pimping waters

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by PETI, May 24, 2012.

1. Nick Clayton Active Member

Ratings: +1,126 / 4
    Jim, I certainly understand where you're coming from, and it's a hard point to argue. Honestly, I can't say I've never kept a small local lake or two a secret, however I can say that I don't hold those such secrets as dear to my heart as those spots I earned on the OP rivers.

Ultimately when it comes to a lake I don't care how many folks are on the water. I love my alone time as much as anybody, and make good use of it often, but for me I have much more fun on a stillwater when I'm fishing with others. In general I am not a very social person, and prefer my own company to most others, but when I'm out in my pram I am just the opposite. I love company! I love to help others out, offer pattern/presentation suggestions, ask for help myself, discuss other fishing adventures, share in frustrations, cheer each other on when hooking up, share a flask, laugh it up and just generally have a good time. I feel that these lakes are stocked for the sole purpose of providing recreational enjoyment to us enthousiasts and I am not going to prevent anyone from enjoying it. Besides, I've fished stillwaters enough to know that in most cases just knowing that a lake has fish in it is seldom enough to gurantee success. That is, a good majority of the folks I encounter on the lakes I fish just aren't too focused on truly learning the stillwater game, and as a result have limited success. It seems lots of people view stillwaters as something to pass the time until they can get back on the river. Well for me it's just the opposite, I'd rather fish a stillwater than anything else. I feel very strongly that no matter the body of water, and no matter the fishing pressure, I am a decent enough fisherman to be able to have a reasonable enough chance at finding success. When I do find this success it's seldom because I was simply at the right place at the right time, but more because I was able to slowly get dialed in and figure out what will work at that particular time.

I'm sure places like Pass, Lone, Cady etc... receive extra pressure because of the constant forum discussions, but that hasn't prevented me from having great success on these waters, even when extremely crowded. As long as folks are following the law, I have zero problem with them fishing right along side me.

With all that said, Jim I completely respect your view point and would never make mention of certain lakes on ANY forum.... Not so much because of my own personal beliefs, but because I'd rather respect those with opinions similar to you and not upset anyone more than necessary.

I have been known to send PMs on occasion with friendly local stillwater suggestions to those who inquire, but I don't necessarily broadcast those places online either, again mainly to respect folks who think right along with you.

Nick
  2. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    No, no that's when you really start to share but in even greater detail then before, for the sole purpose of hoping the writers plan back fires.
  3. nwtroutguy The Tug Is The Drug

Bothell, washington
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    I have had the good fortune of being tutored by a person on this forum( you will know who you are). Sure, I have had to put in my own time and learned a lot, but it has been helpful to me to have somebody show you how to unlock the secrets a little. You have to gain trust from people and then be discreet about it. I have had a lot more satisfaction from giving some flies away to pass on that knowledge rather than being tight lipped about it. Keep in my mind that those secret spots are really common sense anyway. The further you get away from people the better the fishing is. Give people the tools and they will unlock it themselves. Remember, we all had to start somewhere.
    Nick Clayton and Ed Call like this.
  4. Irafly Active Member

I'm Robin Hoodish by nature. I like to "theive" from the snobbish/elitists at highly non secret waters and then share those riches with the "poor".

When I report my success I accomplish three things at the same time; I give away the "secret location" (Pass lake) and techniques (vertical presentation), I provide others with that knowledge that otherwise would possibly have been clueless and would have had to "discover" this knowledge on their own, and finally I present A tease to those same elitists that just can't help but take the bait to show back up again to allow me to start the process all over again. Muhahahahaha, my evil plan at it's finest.

Luckily all those folks out there who love to keep publicly funded stocked lakes to themselves have proven their obvious skill at finding secret waters all on their own so when one of their secret spots are revealed (Beda, Rattlesnake, Lone, Coffeepot, Chopaka, Pass) they'll have no trouble finding another. Maybe I will follow them the way a cormorants follow hatchery trucks?

Disclaimer: My cooments are reflective of still waters only that are stocked/managed by the state and do not apply to sensitive Native fisheries. I feel this is an easy distinction to make.
    ribka and bennysbuddy like this.
  5. bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

m-ville
    Ratings: +675 / 0
  6. Irafly Active Member

Artham lake has a different variety of trout that feed on the bugs plus a different population of bugs thus a different competition factor than is present in ik kale. Also fishing with those dang bugs can change in minutes, let alone moving from one lake to another. Funny I was tempted to hit Arthum tomorrow.
    bennysbuddy likes this.
  7. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    When I lived in coastal Georgia, the fishermen there were usually very open as to where and how they were catching fish. There was a lot of sharing, folks down there were very helpful either giving good locations for fishing or helping a neighbor patch his roof. Up here there isn't the sense of community, not in Seattle. Another big difference between that area and Washington is there wan't a huge million+ population band running from Everett to Olympia along with a corresponding percentage of fishermen vying for fairly limited waters.

I've posted a few times about the hard work it takes to scout and locate good fishing water. I've shared a few of those locations with friends and they have shared some of their favorite spots with me. I guess the part about posting on the net is there are a significant number of "takers" who lurk and offer nothing in return. I don't care for that. Post what you want but no whining when you return to that new "honey hole" and find it populated with folks. You were warned.
  8. Drifter Active Member

Ratings: +635 / 2
    This is a Fly Fishing forum - to me a much different form of fishing and respect for resource's. I was posting about a certain lake early in the year so am guilty of "giving away" secret fishing water.

The problem is the lake was and still is allowing gear fishing! 3 times I drove to the ramp to see 2 or 3 bait fisherman throwing power bait right next to where you can drive to! I can only imagine what happens in the boats 3 1/2 miles to the other end where it is wilderness! I want as many fly fisherman to be concerned with this lake as possible! being it is all wild fish created by st. helens why the hell has the fly fisherman of washington not changed the laws on it to make it fly fishing only. I do not live in the state so can do nothing! I post on another web about crane prairie and it's kill fishery trying to have people be concerned about trying to "CHANGE" the laws of killing native fish and 1000's of them.

If people are so concerned about "COLDWATER-LAKE" THEN WHY THE HELL IS THERE STILL GEAR FISHING GOING ON IN IT? posting on a public "FLY FISHING FORUM" to bring light to a fishery that needs help to preserve it is what I will always do and is why I posted this fall and winter about the lake. I have been to ODFW meetings to change rules and regulations for my home states waters, the noise being made by the fly fisherman of oregon has brought a change in management of one of the best trout fisheries in the country "crane prairie" and is scheduled to change to catch and release for all wild redband rainbows and a 16" and under only hatchery fish rule! this fishery will be a trophy fishery within 2 years or even only one with this rule change!

I would vote and have everyone I know IN Washington vote to make coldwater a "FLY FISHING ONLY LAKE" but someone has to start a petition now don't they. sorry but trying to keep something to yourself can sometimes be the wrong thing for the fishery. hell merrill lake is fly fishing only now all catch and release for stocked triploids - wow lets preserve that before coldwater's wild and native fish.

But I did quit posting about the lake. LIKE nick posted most people I see fly fishing on lakes are just dragging a bugger around and will never hurt the fish on a big scale and most fly fisherman will practice a hell of alot better resource use then gear tossers, the more fly fisherman on any gear lake the better!

I also posted a report on thief valley lake in oregon. A week and a half of watching a gear fishing slaughter that was epic with not one fly fisherman present for the whole time - no wonder it's open to the slaughter year round - so few fly fisherman around! I hope everyone of you go fish it and get involved with it's management!

Sure there are bragging post's (I'm guilty) show off posts (guilty) look how good of a fisherman I am posts (guilty) But also bringing fly fisherman to light on a gear fishery that never should have been in the first place (coldwater) (guilty) I know from experience it takes people to make a change!
  9. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Ratings: +540 / 0
    Main reason I don't like to name sensitive places is because lurkers scan these forums hoping to glean some shared info. I don't know the motivations of said lurkers. I will privately share info with anyone on this board whom I already know or whom I think is OK due to reading their posts. You could pm me with a question about my favorite lake, and I will direct you to the spots that I think are the most productive, and throw in some tips or relate some experience I had there. I like to share with other fly fishers, and would even love to see more out on the lakes I fish.
    I just don't want to give intel to the anonymous masses.

My favorite local lake gets hammered by the bait anglers until it is fished down, but I can still find some trout on the weedy end where there is no bank fishing. I've only been there once this year, and I was forced to bop 3 bleeding 11" stocker 'bows and a severely injured small cutthroat. I don't like to eat trout that much, so I gave the stockers away. There were too many of those pesky freshly stocked 'bows for my liking, so I haven't been back. Maybe check it again later this week, hoping that the fishing is more difficult than it was.

I have been fishing the harbor entrance alongside the jetty lately when I have had time to fish. I think its time for me to start trying flies out there. The wind has been strong and gusty recently the times I've been out in my yak, though, so I've left my 8 wt stashed in the hold, or ashore in my rig. The news I'll share is that I've found some places out there where, over the last few days, the fish have been biting in depths shallow enough for fly fishing. And a Ling I caught yesterday had several 2" long surf perch young'uns in its gullet.

I think I am going to be more tight-lipped about my estuary and tidal creek cutthroat fishing in the future, though. That's not happening yet out here now on the coast, though.
  10. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Good points, Mark.
  11. bakerite Active Member

Baker City Oregon
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Mark, Theif Valley grows fish like crazy, but would be full of bass, bluegil, perch and every other kind of spiny ray if it wasn't drained to nothing by the folks that irrigate with it's water every few years. It's kind of strange but draining it dry keeps it a viable trout fishery in my opinion. There are 4 or 5 great reservoirs over here that grow trout when we have good water supply (like the last three years). The other reservoir I told you about has the biggest average size fish and the best hatches I've ever seen there and had a max of 4 boats on it this weekend. (this is three years after they quit allowing ice fishing and it's been full each of those years) Theif Valley would be an amazing fishery for big fish if bait fishermen just had to keep there first 5 fish instead of high grading to keep only the 2 year olds and they stopped the ice fishing but I don't think ODFW will consider it as long as it is drained every few years. The fishery I wonder about over here is Higgins that the ODFW stopped planting after the landowner made people walk in and restricted it to no bait. I'm going to call them to find out the story because it could be incredible....Last time I went there, no risers and we only caught a couple of little fish (so there may be fish spawning in the creek).
  12. Ed Call Mumbling Moderator

Kitsap Peninsula
    Ratings: +1,356 / 9
    Jim, until there is a block for lurkers, there will always be some reading along. I'm not a fan of lurkers in a venue where location information sharing is happening. Keep your close to the coast stuff close to the vest!

Why not just register and find a way to contribute instead of lurking?
  13. Kent Lufkin Remember when you could remember everything?

Not sure
    Ratings: +1,225 / 0
    +1 on Jim's well-taken point above.

It's a fairly safe bet to name a spot on moving water where anadromous fish *were* on one particular day, but which have quite likely moved on by the time anybody cares to revisit the same spot. It's another thing to rat out a rarely-visited lake.

Being a mainly lake guy, I tend to keep my favorites to myself or share only amongst a very small circle of friends. Hint: the places I like to fish the most don't have parking lots.

K
  14. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    These ain't trout and it isn't a river or lake, but I have been having good luck revisiting one particular rock on a certain jetty. That is where I saw the otter grab a rockfish. There's lots of foot-angler traffic going out on that jetty. "Otter's Rock" isn't very far out, and most people hike out past it to go fishing. Yesterday, I looked over my shoulder before heading out there. No one was following, nor was anyone watching when I scrambled down the rocks and worked my way to as close to the water as I could get...

Last Saturday at dusk I was at the Rock and cast out a jig and grub, (this was my first cast), and hooked a monster of a fish that eventually holed up and broke me off after an epic 10 minute battle. I never even got it to the surface. Had to be Ling.
    Sunday afternoon, I hooked 5 and landed 3 lings casting toward the Rock from my kayak. Kept two.
    MOnday evening, at 9pm, I went to the Rock and tossed my carcasses, brought my spinning rod along, and caught a nice black rockfish on my 5th cast, and promptly went home. Yesterday, I wanted to launch my yak and fish out there starting on the low tide change, but work intervened, and I didn't even make it out to the jetty to check the conditions until 5pm. The surface was like glass, water temp registered 58 F , and birds were everywhere. The weekend crowd was elsewhere. Not really enough time to go home and get my yak and gear loaded, transported, and get launched, so I grabbed my gear (always carry minimal gear with me), and sneaked out to the rock. No one else was around. It was about 5:15pm.
    I replayed Saturday's battle with the lost lunker, remembering what I could have done better, and made my first cast. Let it hit bottom and swept my rod tip skyward in a huge jigging motion, then reeled in some line as I lowered my tip. After three huge jigs, the fourth came up against something solid. Felt like bottom. I pulled. Something started to pull back! I then tried to hit my ass with my rod tip, and line started screeching off my reel. I tightened the drag as tight as I dared and couldn't slow the fish. It finally stopped and I began pumping it back.
    "This is a strong fish," I thought. That was an understatement. I'd recovered much of my line, when it took off again. I had both arms over my head, and was pumping that thing up, when it dove again and ducked into a hole in the rocks. Nowit felt like I was snagged.
    Only one thing to do. I slacked my line, grabbed my little rockfish net and got even closer to the water. One boot was getting wet on the surges, now, but I didn't care.
    At least two minutes had gone by before I tentatively tightened my line by gently reeling my tip down toward the surface. I suddenly pulled up hard, reaching as high as I could, and felt lucky again as I felt the fish fighting out in the clear. I didn't let up, but it overpowered my drag and raced off again into the depths. Again I pumped it back up, wondering how frayed my line must be, expecting it to part at any moment.
    But the LIng was wearing down, and I finally got it up, just off my perch. I could see my jig hook coming right up through the top of its snout, as solid a hookup as one could hope for. I tried to get its head in my small net, but ended up snagging the barb with the mesh and lifting the fish by the barb to where I could slide my finger in its gills. I applied an unbreakable vice-grip with my thumb and forefinger, and crab-crawled my way back up the rocks.
    I thought, "Good 'nuff. One cast. One fish!" I hiked back in to my car. It was 5:40 pm.
    Was only a tad more than 30" long and 11 pounds, but on the coho weight gear I was using (med action Fenwick glass spinning rod, Penn Sargus 4000 reel, and 12# line), and fishing from the rocks, I'm glad it wasn't much bigger.
    Bidding on the gps location of this rock starts at $10,000. No, on second thought, that info isn't for sale at any price!
    Stonefish, wadin' boot and KerryS like this.
  15. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,747 / 0
    Bad ass story!
  16. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,555 / 0
    Hehe there is small gps locator tucked deep within the Penn Sargus 4000 relaying a constant satellite feed to my Dr Evil control room giving me locations, spool rotatation data, microphonics etc...the best part about it for you Jim is that ling is not the same one you hooked last Saturday. the other one was way bigger..You should see the crazy stuff I got on Roger Stephen's boat.

Whomever planted the bug in my Yak will know that I was the only idiot that got skunked on Green Lake last weekend after they stocked like 4000 genetically odd fish. Even the Osprey were chuckling. Outfished by zebco weilding kids...I hit a new and profound low watching trout hit floating cigarette butts. At least the WDFW Gamies didn't give me a ticket, if you were wondering where they were this past weekend...
  17. Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Somewhere on the Coast
    Boot, you are welcome to fish with me anytime!

The otter knows. Observe its antics. You'll find out, as I did, that the otter is your friend.

I'll give ya this: A 6" or 7" White Half-a-Rabbit with big holo eyes, fished on a fast sinking shooting head would be the fly equivalent of the 6" white Kalin grub on the 1.5 oz holo-eyed jighead that I used.

Speaking of game wardens, a surf buddy of mine said he saw some gamies escorting an angler away from the jetty in handcuffs several days ago. I was hoping to see some enforcement presence out there. That made my day!