Pink Fly Rod Blank

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by Shane Atwood, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Shane Atwood

Shane Atwood New Member

Media:
    does anyone know where I can get a pink fly rod blank? I am thinking in the 0-3wt, short. The reason is that my wife is pregnant with our first child, a girl, at least from the pictures. Anyway, while the grandma's, mom and such are all very happy about a girl.........I don't really care as long as she is healthy AND will fly fish. I thought as a nice shower gift it might be nice for the baby to receive her first fly rod, hence the pink blank. If you guys have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Father to be,
    Shane:)

2. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    I'd love to hear about this as well if anyone finds good info.

3. Tyler Speir

Tyler Speir Artist

Media:
    Home Page:
    I have done a lot of research on this and have found nothing. I work in the rob building industry, so I have lots of resorces but still nothing at all. I have found pink gear blanks but not fly. Ill post a pic of a rod I built for my wife who wanted a pink blank. This is the best I could do to make it as pink as possible. Im leaving for texas till monday so it will have to waite till then.

Im going to try and have some good pink blanks made sometime soon because this topic pops up all the time.

4. David Holmes

David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Media:
    Home Page:
    I don't know if this helps but I bought my wife a hot pink Elkhorn fly rod earlier this year. Its extremely girlie but I know for a fact that it catches fish just fine. Maybe they sell blanks, too. Ron & Kristin at AATF hooked me up.

5. Josh

Josh dead in the water

Media:
    The Elkhorn stuff is all I have ever seen. I'd like a quality pink 3wt rod for myself. If the "tough-kids" are going to laugh at me getting excited about fishing for 7-9inch fish, I want them to be able to really laugh. I think it would be funny.

I'd go for that TFO Casting For Recovery rod, those women deserve our support, but it's not in the right weight as far as I know.

6. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Media:
    You could always buy a very inexpensive 7' Eagle Claw glass rod, paint it your color then put a thin coat of spar varnish to cover the paint. Then just put your guides back on or go custom with the guides and such.

I've seen these rods for as little 15 bucks somewhere, just don't remember where...

just a thought, glass tends to be easier for young children to learn the cast on, IMHO!!!!

:cool:

7. Shane Atwood

Shane Atwood New Member

Media:
    Thanks for all the info.

Speir61 if you get someone to build some blanks let me know, I am definitely interested.

Scott, is it possible to paint a graphite rod as you suggested with a fiberglass rod?

8. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    CTS blanks can be ordered in a variety of custom colors (http://www.ctsfishing.com/colors.htm) and it sounds like for an extra $20 you can have almost any color.

I've only heard of the colorization process, I've never ordered one, but it is an option. As far a how long it takes to get one, I don't know, but the CTS blanks that I've played with are nice fly rods. Ron and Kristin up at All About the Fly may know more, but you can check that out.

TFO does have a nice Casting for Recovery rod, but the blank isn't pink and I think it's only in a 5wt.

Good luck and congrat's!
    Bill

9. James Mello

James Mello Inventor of the "closed eye conjecture"

Media:
    Another option is to do it yourself. There are some references on Rodbuilding.org, and requires a bit of know how. I plan on *trying* to do custom colors soon, but I first have to convince the wife that I need another $500 worth of rodbuilding crap....

10. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    James. You and Bill keep talking about PINK rods and I'm going to start wondering about you two......................................

Jim